No-latency overclockable (up to 1080p@~270Hz) monitor controller board

Hi Cirthix I know this may sound silly but could this support A Sync on green VGA cable by chance(with a VGA to DVI adapter of course), See I have a few older consoles that do SoG, and I want to avoid using a lm1881 stripper or a YpbPr Transcoder.

But besides that, I still am interested, what is the Highest quality panel I could buy say off Ebay, alilibaba, and other source and make my own panel would you recommend?

Sorry, analog interface is not supported.

Strongly recommend M270HHF-L10. If you are willing to sacrifice some speed for image quality, you're better off getting one of the ips 1440p 144Hz pre-made from acer/asus/whoever.

I'm curious. Would this work with the Philips BDM4350UC to give me 4k60hz and 0 input lag? I'm not complaining about the little input lag I do have on this new beast but, having NONE sounds like an interesting proposition.

Thanks.

I'm curious. Would this work with the Philips BDM4350UC to give me 4k60hz and 0 input lag? I'm not complaining about the little input lag I do have on this new beast but, having NONE sounds like an interesting proposition.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, you've got a panel using Vx1 interface which I don't support yet.

Got my attention... especially for 4k stuff.
Do you need any investment?

Sorry, analog interface is not supported.

Strongly recommend M270HHF-L10. If you are willing to sacrifice some speed for image quality, you're better off getting one of the ips 1440p 144Hz pre-made from acer/asus/whoever.

Thanks for the reply, one last question then, I have a Element 406 TV (model no. : #ELEFT406) as it have a pretty crappy interpolation. Will this board work for said TV?

hey man,
i have a samsung plasma f8500, does it work, any plans for including hdmi for us console players who want low input lag,
thanks

hey man,
i have a samsung plasma f8500, does it work, any plans for including hdmi for us console players who want low input lag,
thanks

Hello. While I can't speak for the OP, I can tell you that, to my knowledge, HDMI is 1:1 compatible with DVI and is easily converted using purely passive components at the cable/plug level.

Thanks for the reply, one last question then, I have a Element 406 TV (model no. : #ELEFT406) as it have a pretty crappy interpolation. Will this board work for said TV?

I found multiple panels/tcons in that model. Some are promising and others are not. Youd' have to check what you actually have. Can you access a service menu to find which panel you have?

A few questions Cirthix,

I have a Vizio E420-B1 V2.01, I use it as my 2nd monitor currently. Would be awesome if I could get a high refresh rate out of it and use it more for gaming on certain titles. I assume my QX2710LED single DVI panel won't work for sure? I've been itching to do some type of upgrade over this korean now, I really want to get a decent 4k display to replace it sometime this year. What would you think the best 4k display would be to use with your controller?

A few questions Cirthix,

I have a Vizio E420-B1 V2.01, I use it as my 2nd monitor currently. Would be awesome if I could get a high refresh rate out of it and use it more for gaming on certain titles. I assume my QX2710LED single DVI panel won't work for sure? I've been itching to do some type of upgrade over this korean now, I really want to get a decent 4k display to replace it sometime this year. What would you think the best 4k display would be to use with your controller?

Your vizio is a 2ch panel, so while it would work, it whould not be very useful to mod. Your qx2710 with my board and possibly a tcon swap should be able to do 110-120Hz with no latency which is pretty nice :).

I found it. it was just menu 0000....................... I mean common really, element?

board verison is BD_CV3393BH_CPW_11

Panel info LSC400HV01-W

A few questions Cirthix,

single input QNIXs already have no input lag and can overclock to 100-120 Hz.

Excellent work man!
I've made a couple of DIY monitors before. My recent one was with the1440p IPS LM270WQ1 panel paired with the famous Overclocking kit that I sourced from china. Works like a charm.(can't provide links since I'm new)
I may get my hand on a curved 3440x1440 panel and I'm wondering if your board can drive it. The model of the panel is LM340UW2 SSA1. Could you look into it please.
Also I've been looking at that 5k LG panel LM270QQ1 sd-a2 that is used in the Apple iMac. I have seen it go for as low as 100$ due to overstock recently. If your board can drive possibly(I doubt), I would have a very cheap 5k IPS panel.

ps: I've tried many times to post in this thread but ended up getting banned lol.

Hi, I'm interested in and would like to know, is it beneficial for me to do it on a Dell U2312HM? How is the installation procedure like?

Hi is this project still alive?
I was wanting to know if this would work with a Samsung S27A950D panel type LTM270HUO2
Cheers

Huh, stopped getting notifications from this thread for a while. Odd.

Excellent work man!
I've made a couple of DIY monitors before. My recent one was with the1440p IPS LM270WQ1 panel paired with the famous Overclocking kit that I sourced from china. Works like a charm.(can't provide links since I'm new)
I may get my hand on a curved 3440x1440 panel and I'm wondering if your board can drive it. The model of the panel is LM340UW2 SSA1. Could you look into it please.
Also I've been looking at that 5k LG panel LM270QQ1 sd-a2 that is used in the Apple iMac. I have seen it go for as low as 100$ due to overstock recently. If your board can drive possibly(I doubt), I would have a very cheap 5k IPS panel.

ps: I've tried many times to post in this thread but ended up getting banned lol.

The 5K panels use eDP and are not supported. I think you contacted me about the ultrawide via email.

Hello.

I was wondering if you were still attempting to get this project rolling?
A small run was done, ~20 units, painstakingly soldered by hand, and sold to some. Not exactly successful. I have a few boards left.
The DP based board "mostly works". I've been using it on my primary display for a few months now, but it still has a few bugs to fix.
The HDMI2DVI board powers up and detects as a display (requires configuring the rx chip's registers), but I haven't gotten it to output video yet. Should be a configuration issue, HW all looks ok on it.

Hi is this project still alive?
I was wanting to know if this would work with a Samsung S27A950D panel type LTM270HUO2
Cheers

Electrically OK, but that panel uses a flat-flex style connection which is difficult to work with, so the answer to you is no.

is it possible to do custom board (probably dual DP) for 5K LM270QQ1 (5120x2880) ??

I will be interested in 3 pieces maybe more, i think a lot of ppl will buy it, bcoz its only two 5K monitors on market (dell and hp) which cost about 900$

Nice work, cirthix.

Is this project basically saying that monitor overclocking limitations are artificial choices imposed by manufacturers?

Also, could one of these being put into an HP Omen 32, and bypass the monitor's firmware (which prevents overclocking), while preserving FreeSync, and monitor on-screen controls?

These boards completely replace all the driving hardware in a monitor, so the OSD would be replaced (you'd be limited to whatever the new board provided, the old OSD is gone). Similarly, it doesn't matter if the old driver board supported FreeSync, only if the new one does.

cont..

I feel it's too bad you weren't able to release this a few years back, as with the xsyncs and panels coming in at Ocing to up to 200Hz stock now seems most people will opt for a name brand jobber..

For me, Xsyncs would be nice, but with my lucks they probably will never come in with the form factor i would prefer.
27" is too big for my liking, 1080p - while still relevant for people who don't want to buy $1200 dollars in video cards, like me, is and never was a consideration. 1080p is just gimp.
If i buy a panel today i cannot justify not going at least 1440p. But even 16:10 1200p is the lowest i would want to go.
I would rather 25" or 24" 1440p. So. For people like that, and people who just want, or need to mod, this is still relevant.

I also was thinking it would be cool to be able to have like a switch box, where you could switch between the native board and the modded pass through. Then you could still have osd native functions for "work" related tasks, and switch to pure oc for gaming ect. I would be ok for now using say Adaptive refresh in the Nvidia driver or even Adaptive Half Refresh depending on the game and still have smoother gameplay than without. At 240Hz with Adaptive Half Refresh, that would still be a smooth 120fps if you could maintain it. Or a smooth 60fps at 120Hz if that was all you could push.

Anyway, misc ramblings. I just want my fw900's back :cry:

I have a fw900. it's dark as fuck. Like ~100 nits max. How can you stand it ?

Would this work with a laptop panel? I'm planning to use one for my next PC.

If you are quoting your dream pc. Why on earth would you chose villingly to have a 16:9 panel over 16:10 or 3:2 ? I mean a dream pc should aim at the best of everything. Getting more vertical space and less OCD factor surely is a good thing, yes ?

If you are quoting your dream pc. Why on earth would you chose villingly to have a 16:9 panel over 16:10 or 3:2 ? I mean a dream pc should aim at the best of everything. Getting more vertical space and less OCD factor surely is a good thing, yes ?

Screen aspect ratio should match content aspect ratio, yes?
This is 2017. About time to recognize that nothing you watch is designed for 16:10 or 3:2.
Plus there is more vertical space in a 4k screen than in legacy 2560x1600 16:10 old "dream monitors". And Cirthix is in final steps of releasing a 4k 120hz board.

I am surprised cirthix isn't a millionaire. Can't believe no one has approached you with a nice big offer, man. What am I missing?

I am surprised cirthix isn't a millionaire. Can't believe no one has approached you with a nice big offer, man. What am I missing?

Cirthix projected a gaming display for a big brand once. you are mistaken if you think there is a lot of money to be made on high end gaming monitors: R&D costs are high, the BoM is more than twice your run of the mill tcon and sales volumes are low. I once saw an article stating costs around $65k for the R&D of a gaming monitor, with sub-$200k expected sales revenue.

To become a millionaire display engineer one needs:

- find a market spot without competition
- such market spot must have thousands of potential sales
- the end product must avoid chinese and koreans copycats.

So i ask you: how many people have gamings PCs capable of 4k 120hz?
- i will guesstimate a couple hundred, at best
how much are they willing to spend on a monitor?
-probably no more than what they spent on VGAs, so ~$1.5-2k.

let us assume 100% profit, to become a millionaire selling $2000 4k 120hz displays, one needs to find 1000 [H]ardcore PC gamers, just look at steam survey for systems with more than $1500 in graphics cards and you will find why Cirthix is not a millionaire, and probably will not become one selling high end gaming monitors .

I'm curious as to how many R&D costs can be avoided by use what works and adapt it where possible, have a plan to make it cost effective to produce for a smaller market. Which is where my manufacturing experience is.. custom, niche, small run high end stuff.

But tbh it's looking like a not worth it scenario. Maybe a prototype for personal use, if people are interested and want to pay, then do it...

just look at Cirthix post on the Seiki thread here and you will realize that there is no such thing as "use what works" when it comes to buld a product with a unique set of high end tech features:

he designed the FPGA,
wrote the firmware,
signed NDA for Freesync
and even bypassed built-in bugs inside nvidia drivers, all by himself.

I have a fw900. it's dark as fuck. Like ~100 nits max. How can you stand it ?

Umm well i ran mine i think at like 23? brightness, something like that, and it could get bright as the sun to my eyes. But yea i like around 100nits or lower on my monitor and always have. I chill in a low light room for one. In fact it's pitch black in here other than the light of my monitor at the moment. I hate bright light in general, in fact it actually pisses me off.

Standardized defects make thinking about getting a new monitor sooner rather than later potentially more appealing to people

Most of your post is about Economic Theory, a subject mildly off-topic. 0,01% of Steam users have Titan X GPUs, good luck creating a multi million dollar market for 4k 120Hz displays with that consumer base.

Do not assume that t[H]is forum is representative of the behavior of the average monitor buyer. Monitors last a lot and people keep them far longer than other pieces of hardware. And some would have a hard time trying to understand why people [H]ere return 5 27" IPS panels in a row trying to get one with (edit: a trickle) less backlight bleed.

Last edited:
Most of your post is about Economic Theory, a subject mildly off-topic. 0,01% of Steam users have Titan X GPUs, good luck creating a multi million dollar market for 4k 120Hz displays with that consumer base.

4k 120hz is useful for every level of gaming PC. With GPU scaling, you can run 900p, 1080p, 1440p, whatever. And it will look much better than the old Xbox 360 days of scaling 600p to 1080p or whatever, since the PPI on a 4k display is 4x higher. With this solution you'll probably have multiple refresh rates to choose from too, so 75hz, 96hz, whatever works for the game you're trying to play.

Cirthix board only handles integer scaling, so 1080p and 720p only. even worst to justify paying top dollar to game at 1080p 120Hz. so in the end you are still having only the 0,01% of gamers. GPU scaling does not work without a perfomance premium, as superresolution AA showed. it can however handle lower refresh rates, but the benefits are probably not worth a price tag capable of making a millionaire: how many people can pump 4k 90Hz?

GPU upscaling doesn't cost much, that's why you've seen tons of console games doing it since 2005.

Cirthix board only handles integer scaling, so 1080p and 720p only. even worst to justify paying top dollar to game at 1080p 120Hz. so in the end you are still having only the 0,01% of gamers. GPU scaling does not work without a perfomance premium, as superresolution AA showed. it can however handle lower refresh rates, but the benefits are probably not worth a price tag capable of making a millionaire: how many people can pump 4k 90Hz?

there is at least one person with the skill set to pull this out, and he is pulling this out right now.
if you are that certain that one can become millionaire selling high end monitors, by all means, go ahead, put a mortgage on your house, sell your car , quit your job and offer Cirthix a partnership.
it would be wrong of me to talk you out of such a wealth opportunity.

Seriously, if I could mod my 404k to run at 100Hz+, Id gladly pay $400 to do it.

there is at least one person with the skill set to pull this out, and he is pulling this out right now.
if you are that certain that one can become millionaire selling high end monitors, by all means, go ahead, put a mortgage on your house, sell your car , quit your job and offer Cirthix a partnership.
it would be wrong of me to talk you out of such a wealth opportunity.

I'm don't know anything about Cirthix's business plans, I'm just saying a 4k 120hz TV is useful to PC's of all types. You were making it sound like it's only useful to people who can actually run PC games at 4k and 120fps.

Instead of asking "Should I go with a 1080p or 1440p monitor?" or "100hz or 120hz?", you can just get a 4k 120hz monitor and have all your bases covered. Play some games at 1080, other at 1440, maybe that brand new one at max settings at 900p, who knows? Then you'd also have super flexibility with the frame rate.

Back