No internet unless VPN software is active

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by NeghVar, Apr 9, 2018.

1. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

I just upgraded my service from 100Mb to 300Mb. I had to buy a new router because my old one had a 10/100 WAN port. It is installed now but I am getting some odd behavior. All the IP info and settings in the router are correct, but nothing can reach the internet. What makes this so strange though is that my VPN service is able to connect. And when it does, my system can reach the internet with no problems. Same with my wife’s PC and our smartphones. When the VPN software is connected, no problems. Unfortunately, our Rokus and IPTV cannot connect.

Any clues as to what could be causing this odd behavior?

2. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe DNS settings ?

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Yup. What you're describing is internet access without DNS, so web doesn't work unless you enter an IP address instead of a URL. Set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and try again.

4. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

5. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

I mean, I'm trying out 1.1.1.1 myself, but 8.8.8.8 is Google.

6. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

That was my initial thought, but everything appears fine. The router mainly serves for NAT and port forwarding. I have a domain controller that supplies DHCP and DNS services. I use OpenDNS. I tried switching to the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) but no luck. DHCP is disabled on the new router
    also
    When I run network troubleshooting on mine and my wife’s PC, we get “Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding”

7. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Spyware set some kind of proxy? Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from cmd? Also can you ping a dns name from cmd?

8. Haven

Haven I Only Post Important Stuff

Check with your service provider, and make sure the Modem is activated and you aren't stuck in a "walled garden"?

9. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

yes and yes

10. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

It is the same modem we've had for about 2 years. Would changing the router cause it to deactivate? If it is deactivated, then how I am able get in and out with the PIA VPN connected?

11. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Gotta say this is a head scrathcer... I am kids out of ideas atm

12. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

do a reset on everything, with the little button.

13. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

Even a reset was done. On the modem and router
    But I have fixed the problem.
    I disconnected everything and connected directly to the modem. CONNECTED
    Connected the router between the modem and my PC. CONNECTED
    Connected the Roku and Smart TV to the router. CONNECTED
    Connected the office switch between the router and my PC. CONNECTED
    Connected Server to office switch. CONNECTED
    Disabled DHCP on the router and enabled on the server. CONNECTED
    Everything is connected now. Don't know why swapping the router caused such a headache. I've done it before with no problems.

pendragon1 likes this.
  14. bman212121

bman212121 [H]ard|Gawd

Why the VPN would work is odd, but I can tell you that Cable Modems have some type of binding features for whatever device is behind it. So when you switch out routers, you need to restart your cable modem so that the new device gets a working IP address. If you don't the new router / device won't have internet access half of the time because it can't pull a lease that will work.

It could also be related to IPv6. IIRC you get a v6 lease before you get a v4, so if you happen to get a v6 but the router won't get handed a v4 lease because their system still thinks your 1 lease is in use by the old router, that might cause issues. If I'm swapping routers I always make sure to restart the CM at the same time before I plug the new one in. I've definitely had issues where stuff just won't work until that happens.

15. Biznatch

Biznatch [H]ard|Gawd

It's not the IP that's the issue, it's the MAC of the device attached to the modem that needs to be reset. If you connect a device with a different MAC, you need to reset the modem. I've actually brought a modem/portable firewall from my house to another location with the same ISP for testing. As soon as I hooked it up, it pulled the exact same IP as I get at my house.

In fact, it's pretty rare to get a new IP anymore. I've had the same IP for 2-3 years now, including through times where power was out for a couple hours. I believe it's just easier for them to set the life of the DHCP lease extremely long, so users continue to have the same IP since it's much easier to track them.

bman212121 likes this.
  16. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Check your routing table

17. bman212121

bman212121 [H]ard|Gawd

Yes that's the first part I was talking about. I would completely agree with what you said there. Have you seen how v6 works in that scenario? I would think since it's auto configured in a lot of cases the router would just make up it's own v6 address and maybe that's why v6 just starts working but v4 does not.