No internet on cold boot

OldMX

2[H]4U
I have a non resolvable issue with a customer computer because on cold boot, every morning that machine is not able to browse the internet but the lan works perfectly fine.

The computer is a pentium3@850, 512mb, xp pro sp2 fully patched (legal) and the nic is a realtek one using windows provided drivers.

Any ideas of what could cause that issue?

In the nic properties i manually entered the gateway ip as dns server, even tried that value as automatic without luck, every morning computer has no internet :(

Computer is spyware/virii/trojan free

Any help is appreciated

oldmx

I sometimes have had problems with the Realtek cards using the XP default drivers. My problems were mainly in maintaining a connection. I'd have downloads fail halfway through, etc. Once I updated the drivers to the latest from Realtek, the problem would go away. I don't remember which board this was, but it was a Pentium III computer.

I´ll definately check for new drivers, but the weird thing is connectivity is flawless between computer and local network, i can transfer GB's of stuff without hiccups, issue is only appreciated on cold boot when computer is not resolving internet.

things tried:

new cat5 cable
moved nic to another pci slot
hook nic to switch before router
hook ni directly to router
router ip as dns server

any more ideas?

oldmx

Just a shot in the dark, but have you checked to see if there is anything in the Internet options>connections menu under dialup (also make sure it is set on never dial a connection)? If so IE could be initializing before the NIC does and defaulting to try a dialup connection. (ive seen it once before)

Sounds like a flaky router/modem... What's the network setup? Are there more PCs on the network? Can they connect when this PC can't?

Internet explorer options are OK, no dialup or any other connection in networking connectoids.

The modem is a 2wire with 4lan ports and wireless builtin antenna (inside) and its been flashed to latest firmware (required by isp).

To 2wire has directly connected the computer with the problem in port 1 and a linksys switch on port 4 hooking 9 more computers, none of them have that problem of no internet on cold boot.

Thanks for follow up this issue

oldmx

What do you mean by no internet on cold boot, does the internet ever work?

Have you cleared the routing tables and DNS?

edit: is there DHCP setup? Why are you entering the IP for the gateway?

What do you mean with cleared routing tables?
DNS entries are cleared daily per troubleshooting suggerence (ipconfig /flushdns), we even tried with the DNS Client service disable and no change.

DHCP is enabled in all computers and the dns ip thing was recommended by isp to help windows find the router faster. (that setting was only applied to the failing computer)

Odd thing is the lan works perfectly when internet fails.

Come on [H] this should be an easy to figure problem :D

oldmx

When the machine is getting a DHCP address, does it get the correct dns and gateway settings?

Did you shut off the windows firewall and try it?

Did you check the firewall on the router and make sure it isn't blocking the IP and/or MAC address of the machine?

Did you try a new NIC in the machine? That would also get around the question above this one.

Ok, that route /f command is new to me, already applied and i'll wait till tomorrow and see if it works.

No other browser was installed practically because all computers were formatted / reinstalled / patched the same day, gonna try that too.

oldmx

Back