No internet/Host not found errors... in SOME applications...

Ashton

2[H]4U
I've got a very frustrating bug...

I have had 3 programs tell me I have problems with my internet connection. 2 of them telling me I am not connected to the internet (Note that I'm currently browsing the forum on the PC in question)

BitTorrent keeps giving me errors saying "Hostname not found" for several trackers --- but not others.

Minecraft fails to authenticate itself

MCreator (minecraft mod making program) Claims I have no internet connection, then that the MCForge servers are down.

Internet explorer thinks I am offline and pops up the "connect to a network" dialog for dialing up my (now disconnected) cellular DUN account...

On my laptop I have none of these problems.

So far, I've changed DNS servers (currently running off Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, also used OpenDNS), rebooted multiple times, flushed the DNS cache, checked all my other networking settings, checked my firewall, checked my HOSTs files, Run the network connection wizard, and everything is working fine. (Not to mention just from casual usage I know Chrome, Dropbox, and Steam all see my internet connection fine and connect without issue)

While AVG is not reporting any viruses, that's about the only thing I have left to consider (which takes a gawd-awful long time with a 3TB HDD) other than attempting a repair installation for possibly corrupted files...

Anyone have any other suggestions?

(system is the Windows 7 box in my sig)

Is it AVG free or Internet security. Perhaps there is some setting blocking certain domains ?

Do you have any other device on the network ? Do they experience the same issue ?

Is it AVG free or Internet security. Perhaps there is some setting blocking certain domains ?

Do you have any other device on the network ? Do they experience the same issue ?

It's the free one. Not tried disabling it yet...

Quite a few, no problems with any of them, as I said my laptop's succeeded at all the tasks I listed and had no issues, so I'm pretty sure it's something on my desktop.

EDIT:
Dissabling AVG temporarily didn't change anything...

from an elevated command prompt, try:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset

then reboot and try again.

You can also try pinging some of the web sites you're trying to access to verify whether or not DNS is causing any issues or if the issues are elsewhere.

ie, ping google.com
If it fails to resolve, the machine is having issues with DNS.
It resolves to an IP but times out, the issue is elsewhere.
If it resolves but times out, try a tracert to google.com to see where the connection drops.

Back