No internet connection with new modem and router setup

MystX

Weaksauce
Hi guys,
It's been a while since i've bothered all of you, so my nw router has kindly decided to not work =)

I just picked up a Netgear WNDR3700 as my Linksys WAG320N is frankly terrible. I have a linksys AM300 modem to use with the router, and i would like for the modem to be in bridge mode, so that i can use the router to controll access, ports etc.

But the netgear router just cant seem to connect to the net. I have all my (PPPoA) account details entered correctly into the router, but no dice.

The modem is on 192.168.1.1, the router is on 192.169.0.1.. Does this matter? Do they NEED to be on different or the same subnet? And what NAT, static route and dynamic routing settings do i need on the modem? I can choose 'gateway' or 'router' under 'operation mode' on the modem.. no idea what these mean =S

I would REALLY appreciate any help.. There are so many setting that i just dont understand =P

Thanks in advance.

it sounds like your modem is a modem/router combo unit.
you could configure the modem/router to do the authentication and all that, then setup the netgear as a switch/WAP.

otherwise, you would need to put the modem into bridge mode (if that option is available) to allow the Netgear to do the PPPoA authentication and NAT. Gateway may work if Bridge is not available. And you would want any NAT disabled on the modem, if you do it this way.

and no, the devices do not need to be on the same subnet.

Did you try setting the modem to "Bridge Only" mode? I have little experience with DSL set ups, and from the user guide I found that seems to be what you need.

Ok so ive done a little more research.. And it seems that the netgear router doesn't support PPPoA.. This seems a little strange but i heard its an old protocol? So it looks like ill have to get the modem to at least auth with my ISP. But i would still like dhcp and ports to be handles by the netgear =(

The only way i have got an internet connection so far was:
Modem:
dhcp enabled
192.168.1. subnet

plugged into WAN port of the router.. But this means that no ports are forwarded.. Ill see if i can get anything working with them on the same subnet now..

If it helps, the modem also has RFC1483 Bridged and RFC1483 Routed encapsulation modes (instead of PPP0E, PPPoA or bridged).

if the netgear won't do PPPoA, you're stuck with the modem combo doing the NAT.

best bet;
change the IP on your netgear to, say, 192.168.1.254
disable DHCP on netgear
plug LAN port on modem to LAN (not WAN) port on netgear
use netgear as a switch and WAP.

if the netgear won't do PPPoA, you're stuck with the modem combo doing the NAT.

So you cant seperate the PPPoA auth and normal routing(DHCP, ports etc)? That sucks.. Expensive router and i cant use it for routing.
Would a different modem help?

Back