No information given... Ghost and then Refund *Paypal ruled in my favor

terpsy

Gawd
I sent a Board/CPU/HSF to a purchaser.

It arrived 15 days ago. I always over pack to make sure there is no issue when arriving.

I shipped the CPU in the board, and removed the HSF and packed separately in the box.

I got a message 3 days after receiving that they would install/test.

I got a response today no post, put in ram and ssd

Ok. So there are a lot of variables here that have not been investigated. I got this message last night, and posted steps to remedy it. Reseating the RAM, resetting the CMOS, Checking PS connections to the Board, checking to make sure the connectors from the case are connected properly.

I didn't get a response back to my PM with the steps I mentioned to troubleshoot.

I did get a Refund request form Paypal.

I get it, buyers remorse and all, but I know I shipped a working setup, packed flawless, and am more than happy to help troubleshoot the issue they are having because I doubt it is the hardware I sent.

I took pictures of the CPU/Board/HSF before shipping them out.

I would be more than happy to facetime and assist them in troubleshooting/finding the issue they are having with the boot.

How would you handle this?

Thank you!
-Warren

As a seller I just bite my lip and take it back.

Best case scenario the item isn't damaged, and you just take the hit, test it out, and resell.

You don't have much choice, and if you make a big deal about it, then the buyer could actually damage it and then send it back as non working and then you are worse off.

I use to sell a lot of shit back in the day, had several bad encounters one similar to yours. You have to eat it unfortunately, that is the price of doing business.
No refund until you get the item back though.

Long time member? Any Heat rep?

I haven't been jerked around by many (if any) longstanding members of this community and when an issue has arisen, they are usually willing to at least troubleshoot and/or work with me on a solution. Most of the long time posters here are pretty understanding that stuff can happen, and they don't buy with the intention of sending back. Going straight to a PP claim/dispute is pretty crappy, but it wouldn't surprise me if a new-ish member did it as opposed to a more established one who participates in the other forums.

Buyer has some heat, goes back a couple of years, but not that many, and none in this realm it seems. I guess that overlook was on me.

IMHO 2 weeks is too long to wait to test a system and expect a refund... however, you stand no chance of winning if this goes to a dispute.... cut your losses and just have him ship the board back and issue a refund...if it tests good, all you lost was shipping.

I would also name this person since they seem to lack the common courtesy of communicating with their seller...I personally like to avoid buyers like this and Im sure others feel the same way

I also would request pictures of items they are sending back that show serial number and a dated newspaper.

WTF!

Paypal has placed the transaction on Hold.

I just got off the phone with them.

So, I am out the $385 until there is some resolution.

I have asked him for pictures, video, etc of the issue.

It sounds like a PSU/RAM issue to be honest. It could also be resolved by resetting the
CMOS as he is using different memory in the board than I had used.

WAITING for contact back

Thank you,
Warren

Last edited:
Buyer has some heat, goes back a couple of years, but not that many, and none in this realm it seems. I guess that overlook was on me.

Sucks what PayPal did. But looking at his post and heatware history (really nothing in the last 2 years) I don't think I would sell them anything expensive.

Hope they at least send your stuff back.

Last edited:
Look at their heatware. This would be a big warning to me

"Last Visit February 4, 2017"

WTF!

Paypal has already refunded the money, I am in a negative balance! I did not receive my hardware BACK or anything!

dmerit was the trader, and doesn't respond to either the PM's or Emails from Paypal sent

you should get on the phone with them immediately....

Also no offense to new users, but I when I sold on here I put in that you must be an active member. I would not sell to a newbie.

I sent a Board/CPU/HSF to a purchaser.

It arrived 15 days ago. I always over pack to make sure there is no issue when arriving.

I shipped the CPU in the board, and removed the HSF and packed separately in the box.

I got a message 3 days after receiving that they would install/test.

I got a response today no post, put in ram and ssd

Ok. So there are a lot of variables here that have not been investigated. I got this message last night, and posted steps to remedy it. Reseating the RAM, resetting the CMOS, Checking PS connections to the Board, checking to make sure the connectors from the case are connected properly.

I didn't get a response back to my PM with the steps I mentioned to troubleshoot.

I did get a Refund request form Paypal.

I get it, buyers remorse and all, but I know I shipped a working setup, packed flawless, and am more than happy to help troubleshoot the issue they are having because I doubt it is the hardware I sent.

I took pictures of the CPU/Board/HSF before shipping them out.

I would be more than happy to facetime and assist them in troubleshooting/finding the issue they are having with the boot.

How would you handle this?

Thank you!
-Warren

You can win the dispute if it's an international freight forwarder... This feels suspiciously like that because he took 2+ weeks to respond and the address is a common international freight forwarding location.

You sure that it is not a reshipper / international freight forwarder in Oregon?

A lot of times people pretend they are in the US and send their item to a suite or apartment number where the address is actually an international freight forwarder to their home country in western Europe South America or even India/Pakistan.

Oregon is a favorite for reshipping because there is absolutely zero sales tax on anything shipped there including from Amazon.

You can win the dispute if that's the case!

You can win most PayPal disputes with a reshipper address by calling PayPal and fighting the dispute by saying that you are not responsible for items damaged in transit that were reshipped to a foreign country by a freight forwarder.

PayPal people know this. They get people calling about this all the time and you can win the case.

Anytime you see:
Wilmington DE
Miami/Doral FL
Portland Oregon

You should be suspicious and Google the address.

It might not be a reshipper address... But it's definitely a good idea to check

I have not received any communication back from dmerit, no responses to the PM's I sent or any acknowledgement of the 3 messages I sent through paypal detailing steps to take and that I would be more than happy to help him troubleshoot, except for the paypal response, 36 hours later

"Items will be shipped back to you when Paypal gives the ok. The heatsink is off processor so I cannot take video or photo, I have correct ram as well as a drive which is not needed to post. The CPU led light on the motherboard flashes on when power is supplied to the board. I work in IT and know the problem is a bad CPU motherboard connection."

I shipped the board with the CPU in the socket. I never removed it after taking off the Noctua HSF. Has anyone else seen this?

Uh, you do need the RAM in the MB for it to post properly, you also need them in the proper slots as well as it is wise to reset the CMOS/BIOS when switching to different brand/speeds of RAM than what was used prior.

Anyone who has dealt with me knows I pack for it to survive anything along the way. I am sour about this, I am out shipping, god knows what the hell this person has done to perfectly working hardware.

I will take video and pictures when I receive. If it works (as if he didn't break anything it will) do I just show him the video and deduct my shipping costs from his refund?

Thank you,
Warren

You can try but often PayPal gives them a full refund from the held funds or they just take it from your attached account. Just like buying online has a risk, this is the gamble of SELLING online. I could post stories for days about deals I’ve had gone south. Unfortunately lots of bad buyers hide behind PayPal’s protection policies and they know how to exploit and use them to their advantage. There’s now a reason I only sell to people I’ve dealt with before and I rarely post FS threads any longer.

The only response to any communication including those on Paypal for how to troubleshoot have been disregarded and just an escalation for Refund. So, I am awaiting the return of the items, which I will inspect and hope they didn't screw up/break

Sorry to see this unfortunate situation for you terpsy but I feel it is necessary to let the forum know that most of us 650,000 Portland residents are honest hard working folks and not freight forwarders. Good luck with this knucklehead.

15 days later? i woudl let hem know they you dont cover damage done to the products. ince it has been workinf for this long it cant be a failure on the board at delivery

i had a customer buy a old type dvd driver but brand new in box.
clearly stated to refund offered
The failed a complainy with ebay that the drive was not working.
I received it back still sealed in box.

Still waiting for the items to be returned.

12 hours before the case was going to be closed, he applied for a USPS shipping label, and still has not given the items
to USPS to be shipped. It is still sitting Pre-Shipment that a label has been issued.

It is now a month since the items shipped originally, and he has had them for 28 days. I have sent multiple PM's here as how to troubleshoot and to contact me for assistance, as well as through Paypal to him.

And, I cannot find anywhere to communicate this to Paypal, not that they seem they would do anything about it.

Tell then to send the items back & then they will get the refund no problems as long as the items have'nt been damaged by the buyer.
Exactly.
OP- you don’t really have a choice. PayPal is going to refund one way or the other. Just hope it all works when returned, and re sell.

Still waiting for the items to be returned.

12 hours before the case was going to be closed, he applied for a USPS shipping label, and still has not given the items
to USPS to be shipped. It is still sitting Pre-Shipment that a label has been issued.

It is now a month since the items shipped originally, and he has had them for 28 days. I have sent multiple PM's here as how to troubleshoot and to contact me for assistance, as well as through Paypal to him.

And, I cannot find anywhere to communicate this to Paypal, not that they seem they would do anything about it.
Unfortunately this system sucks when using PayPal. Hopefully it’s just delayed and all this works out.

Call them. I've heard of people having good luck with cases and problems after getting a human on the line.

i really hope you called them. if you didn't call them they will do nothing. i had this exact situation happen when i sold one of these freight forwarders about 40 cpus and like 2 months later they opened a dispute i ended up calling them and talking to a human at paypal and they denied the refund because of the time taken to test and there was not way to tell if the buyer had damaged the hardware. not gonna lie it took forever to get my money back but i did.

if you wait for the case to close you are fucked, he obliviously hasn't even shipped the items.

Call them. I've heard of people having good luck with cases and problems after getting a human on the line.

You need to have all your ducks in a row and call them. I've been a seller and have almost been scammed the same way several times, and I have won every time because I made sure I had everything detailed from pictures, to what items, and all. You also need to talk to Paypal and explain to them down to heart that this is a scammer and point out what makes it that way.

I received the parts this morning.

He did not return the Manual or the SATA cables.

He waited 15 days to email that there was an issue and now I know why. And then another 15 days to return the equipment. I have not had a chance to see if I can correct it yet.

I had asked for pictures and he said he couldn't send them of the error, as he had removed the HSF. I asked him to send pictures of the equipment, every single PM or response here or through Paypal was on deaf and ignoring ears.

It has come back and appears he did not install and use the Noctua HSF I had sent and I would assume he tried to install water-cooling or something else, as that is the only explanation I can come with bent pins under the CPU now.

There are bent pins under the CPU, the only way that would happen is if he removed the CPU as I pulled and shipped it with the CPU intact on board. Is there anyway for pins to bend under the CPU if it is never removed before shipping?

Attachments

• IMG_3511.jpg
    IMG_3511.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
IMO its highly unlikely that only those few pins were damaged in shipping. the only one instance ive ever seen damage the pins it was obviously crunched very hard and many of the pins were bent. this looks like an indication the cpu was removed and not seated properly , hence the corner only damage.

Those pins were definitely bent from careless removal/installation of the CPU. If you look closely at the pic in addition to the obvious 'skewed' pins you also have a couple to the right of center, about half way up, that are bent over backwards. That would be impossible to occur with the CPU firmly clamped in the socket. I had virtually the EXACT same thing happen to me. Despite sending evidence to Paypal via pics and video, they completely ignored me and refunded the also 'sketchy buyer' . the only consolation I had was that I did receive the 'claimed non working motherboard' back undamaged and indeed performing perfectly. and unlike the support you are receiving I was roundly criticized here (you know who you are) for fighting the guy.

How did you get the setup to work? It powers on, but does not continue to POST. Did you have to bend the pins back? Is it possible anymore with a mechanical pencil lead?

What most people don't know is the CPU actually rests on the plastic bits that are in the center and around the outside of the socket and does not rest on the pins (it just presses against them for contact) so if the CPU is installed there is no way the pins can be bent. That looks like the jackass took out the cpu and dropped it.

I usually use a small sewing pin or knife point to fix pins but I'm 1/2 for getting a working board from it so best of luck.

Last edited:
The 'Skewed' pins are relatively easy to straighten as Master_ shake said. I use a sewing needle with some tape wrapped around the eye end to get a grip and a magnifying lamp. It is possible to bend back the others but takes more finesse and two needles or some micro tweezers. I think I noticed you had one or more pins that appeared broken off completely. If that's the case it's probably toast.

The ones in the center corner are not difficult, however the ones on the bottom, if bent back over like it looks, will take some skill and a proper set of tweezers. Typically those break easily. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Well. Paypal ruled in my favor. I have offered the following as restitution. Am I right/wrong with my assessment? Email below.

The equipment received back has damaged pins.

This is not the way the equipment was sent, and it is impossible to have bent pins as the CPU was never removed and shipped in place on the motherboard

I do not know what had transpired the 15 days since you received the equipment and the other 15 says until you shipped, the simple message of no post.

The only explanation is that you/someone removed the CPU and placed it back in incorrectly when closing the ZIF socket or attempting to place a waterblock on the CPU incorrectly. I have reached out to multiple others with experience in shipping and packing CPU/Motherboard items, and there is no doubt that the damage had to occur after being received.

With that said, I am willing to refund you the 385 - 160.49 as that is the exact cost of replacement for the same motherboard on Amazon currently.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-LGA1151-Realtek-Motherboard/dp/B07HRZHJ6Z

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Warren

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If PayPal rules in your favor, can’t you just return the items to him as is? Aside from that your resolution seems fair.

Well. Paypal ruled in my favor. I have offered the following as restitution. Am I right/wrong with my assessment? Email below.

The equipment received back has damaged pins.

This is not the way the equipment was sent, and it is impossible to have bent pins as the CPU was never removed and shipped in place on the motherboard

I do not know what had transpired the 15 days since you received the equipment and the other 15 says until you shipped, the simple message of no post.

The only explanation is that you/someone removed the CPU and placed it back in incorrectly when closing the ZIF socket or attempting to place a waterblock on the CPU incorrectly. I have reached out to multiple others with experience in shipping and packing CPU/Motherboard items, and there is no doubt that the damage had to occur after being received.

With that said, I am willing to refund you the 385 - 160.49 as that is the exact cost of replacement for the same motherboard on Amazon currently.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-LGA1151-Realtek-Motherboard/dp/B07HRZHJ6Z

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Warren

You don't owe him shit. He broke the board, tell him he can have it back if he pays for shipping. If not, trash the board and take pics of it sitting in the dumpster. Case closed. What's his name again so I can avoid him like the plague?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think readers are getting confused by the partial accounting. You were paid $385 for a 8086k, z390 board, and noctua cooler (with win 10 license) and they shipped the entire kit back to you as part of the dispute. You're offering to issue the refund of ~$225 based on the returned noctua cooler and 8086k chip still being useable (presumably), with the understanding that you're holding them accountable for the destroyed motherboard's new retail price.

Back