No idea how to fix my PC -- black screen and 100% fans

repoman0

[H]ard|Gawd
First, specs ...

Asrock X370 Taichi
Ryzen 3700X
2x16GB Crucial 3200 MHz RAM
eVGA 1070
Seasonic G-series 550W (bought new in 2015)
Latest Windows 10, Ryzen drivers, nVidia drivers
... all running with no overclock of any kind

The problem is that it crashes with a black screen and the CPU fan spins up while playing Overwatch, and I can only shut down by switching off the PSU (power button and reset unresponsive). I can't get anything to fail stability tests -- Prime95, Linpack, Memtest86 and Memtest for Windows, Furmark. I even ran three instances of 3GB memtest for Windows, Linpack, and Furmark all at the same time overnight for 8 hours with no errors. After a hard crash, I have a really hard time booting back up. I can sit there and try 20 times in a row now, switching off the PSU in between each try, and it won't boot until I leave it alone for 30 minutes, after which everything is fine until I try to play video games again.

Worth mentioning that when I do boot back up, BIOS settings are all at their old settings, which leads me to believe the board thinks everything is fine. When I was trying to run my B-die with first-gen Ryzen and it crashed due to memory, it would fail to boot a few times and then go into "safety mode" by putting RAM back to 2400 MHz.

Things I have tried:

- New motherboard, twice (ASUS and ASrock X570 boards, returned both)
- New GPU, eVGA 2060 Super (returned)
- This has happened with the CPU and RAM that I upgraded from ... 2700X and 16 GB B-die. It used to be significantly less frequent but I upgraded in part because I thought it would make my problems go away. This one might be a different issue -- I had a lot of resets due to memory for a while, but it would reboot fine.
- Heatsink on my NVMe drive -- I reproduced the issue with Linpack+memtest+furmark+CrystalDiskMark running at the same time, leading me to believe it was high disk temps ("temp 2" = 100-110C max). It now hits 50C max so $13 well spent but no dice re: black screen crashes.
- Measured PSU voltages at multiple pins with my Fluke DMM -- rock solid 3.38, 5.09 and 12.20V
- Finally reinstalled Windows even though I had my doubts. Sure enough made no difference

The boot routine of the ASRock X570 board was different enough that when it would black screen, the PC would try to boot a bunch of times rather than just get locked. My X370 boot LEDs do not light up when I'm trying and failing to boot, meaning it doesn't even get to the point where it starts the boot routine. Whatever the problem is, it definitely seems to be getting worse. I used to be able to play for an hour or two, now I can't even make it three minutes.

Any ideas are appreciated. I live close to a Microcenter but I'm getting tired of going there and returning things that don't fix my problems. Soon I will just replace every part and throw the rest out the window.

I normally wouldn't suspect a seasonic unit but I would try a different PSU. It sounds like you have tried replacing every other component already. It's the only thing left.

In my experience PSU failures are usually cut and dry, but every now and then they are really wonky and hard to track down.

I guess it is the last thing, solid voltage readings or not. Could have some higher frequency noise than my multimeter can pick up. I have a Seasonic Focus 650W waiting for me at MC.

Back