No gains upgrading gf2 -> 9800pro???

MRAB54

Gawd
Well, I just got my 9800pro from newegg and plopped her in my computer and I ran UT2k4 excpecting to see some decent gains but there really was none....My card before this was a gf2 pro 64mb...

I had a bunch of previous ut2k3 benchmarks w/ scores ranging from 55-58 was the highest... and when I ran the benchmark w/ the 9800 I consistantly got 60's... not too good...

I just realized that my current rig definately must be big bottleneck for this card... I have an MSI kt266a and it only supports agp 4x, I'm geussing this is probably the main problem here and not my CPU....

My CPU is an athlon xp 1800 oc'd to 1.65 mhz....I have 1 gig pc2100 ram...

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?? I really don't want to upgrade mobo AND CPU if I dont have to because I spent most of my money on this card... And what would be a good mobo to get that would get the most out of my current setup???

the v-sync is off... all I want to know is why am I getting the same fps w/ a 9800pro that I did w/ a gf2??? Whats bottlenecking me here???

If I turn the AA up to 6x, same fps, just crisper...if i turn the anisotropic filtering up to 16x, same fps.... ohh and those ut2k3 scores were w/ the details at the very lowest and 800x600....
Also if i switch from 800x600 to 1024x768 there is no frame rate drop either

Originally posted by MRAB54
If I turn the AA up to 6x, same fps, just crisper...if i turn the anisotropic filtering up to 16x, same fps.... ohh and those ut2k3 scores were w/ the details at the very lowest and 800x600....
Also if i switch from 800x600 to 1024x768 there is no frame rate drop either
Thats becasue that all comes from the video card.. you can proble do full details 1024x768 with like 4x aa 8x af. For sheer framerates, that mobo is definately a problem.

lol @ killdozer....

okay, so if I do get a new mobo...say an nforce2 chipset...do you think this will be a big help??? or is my CPU crap too????

Ohh yeah, I did completly remove everything Nvidia from my computer before this...driver cleaner, and went through the registry too...

You should absolutely notice a difference between the GeForce 2 and the 9800.

Regardless of what the cpu is.

I can honestly tell you that there is no difference in my ut2k3 benchmarks w/ my gf2 and 9800pro...sure it looks a lot better but the fps are the same...it feels the same playing games too

I can honestly tell you that there is no difference in my ut2k3 benchmarks w/ my gf2 and 9800pro...sure it looks a lot better but the fps are the same...it feels the same playing games too

When you say "looks better", do you mean you have full AA/AF on and full graphics at a high resolution?

That might bring the framerate back down to where it was before, but think about what you have done for graphics.

If you keep the graphic quality exactly the same as it was for your GeForce 2, the framerate should be extremely smooth.

When making a huge system change, like the introduction of a new graphics card, its wise to reformat.

I wish I could get 3dmark working right now but its messed up but anyways...what I was saying about when I turned up the AA/AF, there was no framerate drop....none....same w/ resolution up to 1024x768 is the highest i went...

the score that I get when at lowest details in UT2k3 benchmark with my 9800pro is the same as what I had gotten at the same details w/ my gf2

yea whenever you go from nvidia to ati or vice versa, its always wise to reformat.

Your system is probably most of your bottleneck I know mine is the 512mb of memory really helped it but try running driver cleaner first before reformatting

now that I used my friends computer with and old gforce4ti4200 I definitely notice a difference. You must upgrade more:mad:
sucks huh I will be doing it soon just waiting to see what the new 775 pin p4's have to offer and what it involves to upgrade.

ut2k3 would be very CPU limited on your system. Like someone just said, there is nothing wrong with 60fps. You can now turn up AA and AF all the way. I know you couldn't do that on your GF2.

Try and upgrade your CPU/MOBO/RAM when you can. You're going to need to do that at some stage anyways.

why am I whining?? that was at LOWEST details...i just got done running 3dmark 03....i had to download since 2001 wasnt working for me for some reason and I scored a 1922....yeah, thats why I'm whining...

Looking at people w/ comparable setups and even slower athlons than I have w/ the 9800pro, they all score in the 6000's....so something has got to be wrong here, maybe I don't have to upgrade....

It's not whining, I know what I'm talking about I'm not just pulling this out of my ass....and when I say there is no performance upgrade from my gf2 im being literal here...

heres my 3dMark score
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2206249

Ouch that's low. It could be more than twice that if you had a better CPU...or it's fine and you have AA and AF craked up.

Originally posted by V0ltage
yea whenever you go from nvidia to ati or vice versa, its always wise to reformat.

I have a gf2 TiVO 6mb, so am I affected. Will upgrade to next gen soon.
Why must I reformat the pc(for jumping from nvidia>ati)? Isn't there an easier way? uninstall driver or something else.

I went from GForce2 MX 400 to Radeon 9800 Pro and just used Driver cleaner, then installed the Omega 4.2 drivers. Don't have any problems. I plan on doing a HD format and cleaning everything up for some other reasons, so I'll post back and let you know if there's a difference.

BTW, I'm getting anywhere from 40-100 fps on UT2004 at 1280x1024x32, AF8, AA4. I don't think that's too shabby.

Different strokes I guess.

why am I whining?? that was at LOWEST details...i just got done running 3dmark 03....i had to download since 2001 wasnt working for me for some reason and I scored a 1922....yeah, thats why I'm whining...

Looking at people w/ comparable setups and even slower athlons than I have w/ the 9800pro, they all score in the 6000's....so something has got to be wrong here, maybe I don't have to upgrade....

It's not whining, I know what I'm talking about I'm not just pulling this out of my ass....and when I say there is no performance upgrade from my gf2 im being literal here...

heres my 3dMark score
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2206249

There's definitely something wrong with your drivers. 3dMark2k3 is pretty much all about the gfx card, so you should not have such a low score. Your CPU is not that slow that it would cause that. If you're sure you've got the latest ATI drivers, and your latest chipset drivers, and it's still not working properly, I'd say reformatting might be your best bet, if that's an option for you.

Your score is lower than it should be by far. Make sure you have in via 4-1 drivers installed also. If that doesnt work I would re-install windows.

Originally posted by Hitokiri Batohsai
I have a gf2 TiVO 6mb, so am I affected. Will upgrade to next gen soon.
Why must I reformat the pc(for jumping from nvidia>ati)? Isn't there an easier way? uninstall driver or something else.
I have run both on several of my desktops. Never had a problem, the only time I've used any tool to clean drivers was when I had Nvidia or ATI specific problems. When Vsync got stuck on with my Geforce 2 I used a cleaner, When the ATI drivers hung the system on boot, I uninstalled and manually removed registry keys. I still have both driver sets installed on the system with good 3dmark01 scores for my system. You do not have to format to swap video cards.

Have you ever formatted to swap network cards or modems?

Ok, you may not feel there is a difference but since you can turn AA & AF way up and still get the same FPS, that right there tells you that you are getting MUCH more from the 9800 :) The card is working great.

The bottleneck is the 1800. When I first upgraded to a 5900, I had an 1800 and also didn't see any difference between it and my 4200. After I went to a 2100+ tbred, NF2 board and OC'd to 2.2ghz, I saw a huge difference.

I scored a 1922....yeah, thats why I'm whining...

k since you are so fucking slow i will draw it out for you. double click "my computer" ( sorry if this is to hard ) / double click "C:" / double click "Future Mark" / double click "the 3dmark logo" ( still with me? ) / click once the "options tab" ( yes i said once ) / you should see a Grey button that says "use defaults" / click the "use defaults button"..... you are patetic.

Originally posted by zoltan
k since you are so fucking slow i will draw it out for you. double click "my computer" ( sorry if this is to hard ) / double click "C:" / double click "Future Mark" / double click "the 3dmark logo" ( still with me? ) / click once the "options tab" ( yes i said once ) / you should see a Grey button that says "use defaults" / click the "use defaults button"..... you are patetic.

LOL

I don't know what the problem is. I really hate formatting, but i'll probably end up doing it. My spring break starts today so I'm just going to forget about it for a while, I'm sure I'll still be pissed the 5 hour drive home though, oh well. Thanks for the replies, even the ignorant and "patetic" ones :rolleyes:

For f*ck's sake. Put the info together:

- Low graphics settings = 60 fps
- medium settings = 60 fps
- high settings = 60 fps

FPS cap anyone? Doesn't the 60 FPS strike at you? It's the number this game decides is the optimal FPS such that going any higher you won't notice a difference.

In other words, the friggin game is capping FPS. Crank up all your graphics settings, play your game, and stop crying about how you can't get past 60 FPS.

If it makes you feel better, do a comparative benchmark test between your GeForce 2 and your Radeon 9800 Pro. Here are some programs:

- Aquamark 2003
- 3DMark2001 SE
- 3DMark2003

Or... omg get this... try another game that doesn't have a FPS cap.

Originally posted by Unit-0
For f*ck's sake. Put the info together:

- Low graphics settings = 60 fps
- medium settings = 60 fps
- high settings = 60 fps

FPS cap anyone? Doesn't the 60 FPS strike at you? It's the number this game decides is the optimal FPS such that going any higher you won't notice a difference.

In other words, the friggin game is capping FPS. Crank up all your graphics settings, play your game, and stop crying about how you can't get past 60 FPS.

If it makes you feel better, do a comparative benchmark test between your GeForce 2 and your Radeon 9800 Pro. Here are some programs:

- Aquamark 2003
- 3DMark2001 SE
- 3DMark2003

Or... omg get this... try another game that doesn't have a FPS cap.

OMG. Get this.

THERE IS NO FPS CAP IN UT2K3 BENCHMARK.

:rolleyes:

Sounds like vsync is still being forced on for some reason. Up the refresh, see if the scores increase to match.

With a 1.6ghz Athlon, you should have 4k or so on 3dm2k3, if not more.

Double check the mobo drivers as well. I'll second the reformat, since it sounds like there are things that are seriously messed up here. AGP4x won't be holding you back that far.

Well, I just got my 9800pro from newegg and plopped her in my computer and I ran UT2k4 excpecting to see some decent gains but there really was none....My card before this was a gf2 pro 64mb...

I had a bunch of previous ut2k3 benchmarks w/ scores ranging from 55-58 was the highest... and when I ran the benchmark w/ the 9800 I consistantly got 60's... not too good...

I just realized that my current rig definately must be big bottleneck for this card... I have an MSI kt266a and it only supports agp 4x, I'm geussing this is probably the main problem here and not my CPU....

My CPU is an athlon xp 1800 oc'd to 1.65 mhz....I have 1 gig pc2100 ram...

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?? I really don't want to upgrade mobo AND CPU if I dont have to because I spent most of my money on this card... And what would be a good mobo to get that would get the most out of my current setup???
although it might have already been said, did you run drivercleaner to remove all the geforce remains? that could be whats messing everything up. you should definitely be realizing substantial gains with your upgrade, and it sounds like vsynch, or possibly your hardware acceleration within directx. after you fully clean your system from nvidia, make sure in dxdiag that hardware accel is fully up and that vsync is totally off.

Originally posted by V0ltage
agreed, but i dont think his problem is irreversable from what i understand... while thats honestly the right thing to do not everyone has windows partitioned separately from their data... which is often a deterrent from formatting as people often have nowhere to back up their data to, or simply don't even know how. his issue is most likely with drivers and / or settings that can be fixed.

did you turn off aa and af on 3kmark2003? if not thats why you got the under 2000 score. most people turn aa and af off and all the settings to low... and make sure you do it to direct 3d, not opengl. what are you bitching about when you can go from the lowest settings with no aa or af at 800 x 600 to full aa and af and the highest settings at 1024 x 768 and get better frames... seriously wtf... if you cant tell that is a huge jump then there is something wrong with you. its the rest of your system that is holding you back. obviously if you get the same fps when you crank up everything that just depends on the videocard and you get the same frames then IT IS NOT THE VIDEOCARD THAT IS LIMITING YOU TO 60

What motherboard do you have? Some chipsets have good overall performance, but bad 3-d game performance. I have experienced this with the Iwill line of motherboards. One of the original Via chipsets that supported DDR more specifically. Also, make sure that *all* of your motherboard drivers are installed and up to date. It wouldn't be a bad idea to download them all (for the mobo) and reinstall them. I found on another occasion that my 3-d performance was suffering because I was using the mobo drivers that Windows installed and not the ones that came on the CD with my mobo. And really, it's not a bad idea to reformat and reinstall things fresh if you're not getting peak performance. that way you KNOW that all the drivers are installed properly.

Hope this helps some

Back