No future for deaf gamer online...

Soyo13

Gawd
I fear that theres no future for deaf players online unless we are willing to play the game without any mean of communication or conversation. Because more and more game are coming out with VoIP... And less people are typing as they used to.

Yeah I know playing games without having to type everything they want to say will help tremulously epically in FPS game.

Hell in WoW guilds actually refuse to invite me purely because I cant use Ventrillo or Teamspeak... I tried explaining why I cant use it... Their response was Be gone mute... :rolleyes: I'm not mute.. I just cant hear thats all

Yea well, theres always other games you can play. Mostly 1v1 games...racing games, ut3 1v1, strategy games.

Cochlear implants are also pretty expensive. My guess is that very few PPOs/HMOs would cover such a thing.

I think Clowning had the right idea. Online racing games might be the right fit -- you'd be just as competitive as anyone else. You can also always just play WoW as a "rogue", so you wouldn't need much communication at all.

I prefer typing than having to put on a headset and a mic, so I definitely am supportive of this need even though I don't have any hearing issues.

I sympathize with those who do because I also don't like the trend.

And to anyone telling him to play other types of games, that's just wrong. Besides, maybe he prefers FPS games.

That's extremely unfortunate, I'm sure it's something that coud be implemented with a patch created by game devs if the issue/deaf gaming community were large enough for it to be worth their time. The only alternative I can think of is what an above poster said, play 1v1 games, RTS's are really fun to play 1v1 online. Also mindless FPS games such as public CS:S servers, Unreal tournament and other FPS are also really fun and require no VoIP.

Lol im actually not being an ass, i was wondering if it is really possible to do something like this? And if some one did they would proably win the noble prize, that would be a really big break through, trust me Im not trying to dog or clown on deaf people, known a couple in my my life and they are just like any other human, I was just saying that would be a great invention, sorry if i made it sound mean, i wasnt trying too. Also just keep playing your current games and tell others to fuck off! I bet you can own them anyway. I have played tons of games with out any sound and i type and its pretty much the same for me. Your eye sight and reactions are proably good as hell! Well i heard your senses get stronger when you lose one, i dont know if its true or not.

We had a deaf person for a while in my WoW guild. I didn't know he was deaf and bitched him out one day in a tell I sent him becuase he ignored me in Vent. I felt like a complete dumbass when I found out he was deaf. But he was a kickass player. He was a warlock, iirc.

I understand your issue here; however corporations are in it to make money. Developing a system to enhance your handicapped (sorry for lack of a better term) abilities over those who are not dis-advantaged wouldn't be in their agenda.

The idea is to make money. The people whom are deaf is a small group and wouldn't merit the money to be spent into a program to make your experience easier or more inviting.

If you some way found out how to do this cheaply and freely on your own then it may be worth while and well you may not profit off it, you could put it to other uses.

Personally I find it is generally little kids who abuse the microphone, ranging from 8-16 and some 17 and 18 y/o's.

It's all based on maturity.

Sorry if I come off rude, but it's how corporations think.

*Edit

I think their definition of mute was implying "deaf–mute".

There is no polite way to tell someone who is handicapped anymore than that they're handicapped. They could of explained to you better their situation.

I see two sides and in the end, I agree with both.

You wouldn't allow a for example deaf person to fight in war, direct traffic, watch over little infants (In the norm, yes I know deaf people who have kids).

It's just somethings aren't suitable for some people and can harm more people in the end.

I apologize whole heartedly if I came off rude.

I know what it's like to face discrimination for such a minimal thing, but it's life and in the end it can only make us stronger or weaker depending on how we reflect upon ourselves as individuals.

I fear that theres no future for deaf players online unless we are willing to play the game without any mean of communication or conversation. Because more and more game are coming out with VoIP... And less people are typing as they used to.

Yeah I know playing games without having to type everything they want to say will help tremulously epically in FPS game.

Hell in WoW guilds actually refuse to invite me purely because I cant use Ventrillo or Teamspeak... I tried explaining why I cant use it... Their response was Be gone mute... :rolleyes: I'm not mute.. I just cant hear thats all

The same problem also apply to people who do not speak english.

If I was still playing EQ2, my guild would welcome you (or any other deaf player) into their arms. Yea, we have a Vent server, but its rarely used, we usually just type to each other.

Most Valve-created games have keyboard commands mapped to the lower row keys (X, C, V, etc.) ... these messages show up as text in-game. Basic commands, at best, but if you don't have a mic, they do the job (and are faster than typing).

I type because I turn off teamspeak and VoIP in 95% of the games. I don't want to hear what anyone has to say in a nasally 13 year old voice. I am sure there is a future for deaf people in gaming as I've ran into a few def gamers myself over the years. What sucks is that console games on the 360 FORCE you to use the headset, so you have no choice.

LOL @ lillimon04 for not being able to read!! His problem is peoples lack of typing and using audible means of communications.

Do you play FPS games online Soyo13?

I agree that they always needs to be more than one method of communication/control in games.

The same problem also apply to people who do not speak english.

Those people can learn English. He can't re-gain his hearing. That is no compromise, unless there is a significant advance in modern medicine which is affordable.

I've learned other languages on my accord for their country, they can learn mine "English".
I conform to their society they can conform to mine. If one doesn't seem fit, then don't engage yourself to those ideologies.

Not to change into a debate.

I type because I turn off teamspeak and VoIP in 95% of the games. I don't want to hear what anyone has to say in a nasally 13 year old voice. I am sure there is a future for deaf people in gaming as I've ran into a few def gamers myself over the years. What sucks is that console games on the 360 FORCE you to use the headset, so you have no choice.

LOL @ lillimon04 for not being able to read!! His problem is peoples lack of typing and using audible means of communications.

Do you play FPS games online Soyo13?

I agree that they always needs to be more than one method of communication/control in games.
I dont get it? What i meant is if he was able to hear the people with an invention of some sort.I thought i was right on the money but i guess not, sorry. Also soyo do you play source or cod2 or 4? online or any other games? I would love to play you.

Tough situation. Funny I was thinking of what that'd be like earlier, i was playing Halo 3 online and got matched with some guys who didn't speak english, but just by paying attention to their actions etc i was able to work pretty well with them, we won 8-10 games or so in a row. And it was a lot funner than hearing the usual english speaking kids yelling orders :p

a good voice recognition app should have come along by now (a capable one that is)...

You would think so...but I think there's still alot of work to be done in this area. But any voice recognition at all (translating into transparent subs) would be a start I think.

a good voice recognition app should have come along by now (a capable one that is)...

There are companies that make voice recognition software for deaf people in general, right? It would be cool if they made one that could work as a plugin for games that creates captions. I don't think they would face that much trouble if their program did all the work. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact those companies. I feel bad for those that get assed out of gaming events because of it.

Guild wars was a really easy game to play with just text. With the write feature on the mini-map and such. I never saw a vent only guild in the full year i played it. Their coming out with a huge mmo in 2008 that I hope kills WoW. And if you lose a mission it's not the end of the world like in WoW. :D Have your tried GW Soyo?

its all good, any silly guild or clan who dismisses anybody with a hearing impairment is probably full of untrustworthy gamers anyway. I can't see that being a widespread issue with most clans that are worth belonging to.

don't modify what you play because of a difference you have. Play what you want how you want, and you will find people who respect that.

I am thinking voice rec will actually get MORE attention, as there becomes more demand for voice chat, believe it or not. After a point listening to whiny 12 year olds on Xbox Live! becomes intolerable, but outright muting everyone from the get go doesn't exactly benefit the game. Voice -> text in games will be easier to ignore, without sacrificing much in the way of communication.

Nintendo has put a good bit of money into voice recognition, although that doesn't exactly mean MUCH, it does at least demonstrate there is money going into the technology. Valve also makes a good effort to at least accommodate those with disabilities in single player with full closed captions. On the other hand, that doesn't do anything for multi-player, hence the OP.

I won't dismiss your circumstance is poor, but this seems more like a low than all out hopelessness. Wish the best for ya, man.

I think Voice -> Text will become more common in the future. If you've ever played around with the Speech Recognition built into Vista, it's surprisingly accurate the vast majority of the time.

I can already dictate entire documents using Vista, so I don't think it would be that big of a jump to add this into future multiplayer games. It might not be entirely accurate all of the time, but at least the main idea could be conveyed into text.

How would that be possible to make deaf people hear things, you just have to type and get through it, natural selection. But what would you want devs to do for you? Theres noooo wayy they can help deaf people expect by the subtitles and typing. Or if you want something changed do it yourself, become a scientist and have a sick ass team behind you and make a thing that makes your brain like hear what other people are saying or so you can hear sounds.
Apparently natural selection failed to weed you out..

I never really thought about the fact that there are gamers out there that are deaf.

Well you can still do lots of pubbing with CS, TF2, and virtually any FPS.

However if you wanted to say, join a strategy based clan or a WoW Guild, you may be a bit out of luck if they require you on vent or ts.

However, they may understand your situation and let you stick to just text chat (which is what they SHOULD do)

Maybe with time someone who is deaf that games will also be a sweet ass programer and make a speech to text program for gaming.

At the same time, people usually come in either too loud/quiet or extremely unclear on voice chat programs.

Honestly, you're not really missing out. The sound bickering pre-pubescent twelve year olds is a whole lot more common than use full communication. I usually turn voice chat off.

Honestly, you're not really missing out. The sound bickering pre-pubescent twelve year olds is a whole lot more common than use full communication. I usually turn voice chat off.

Seconded, every now and then there some games have a some cool folks. . . but generally I just can't stand listening to folks over voip.

i can see where it could be a pain. but like others have said you probably aren't missing out on much.

especially if you are playing on a console. i don't think i could handle playing for example. Halo with peoples mic's on.

Have you guys noticed that people on the pc with mics are cooler and more mature than people on the consoles?

Have you guys noticed that people on the pc with mics are cooler and more mature than people on the consoles?

No, not really. There is however a good rift in game types though. If I'm playing something like Op Flashpoint or ArmA, I can be pretty sure that the players are fairly mature as opposed to a run and gun fps where it's more of a crap shoot.

Oh well thats true because flashpoint is a classic gaming series. But like in xbox live all i hear is gay people talking and on pc i hear not as many. Lol but ya you arent missing out but i understand y you would want to hear them, I start talking shit if some is giving me shit.

The top WoW guild in the world, Nihilum, actually doesn't use Vent much at all. Then again, they can execute all fights in the game without any communication at all since they know them so well know.

But like in xbox live all i hear is gay people talking and on pc i hear not as many. Lol but ya you arent missing out but i understand y you would want to hear them, I start talking shit if some is giving me shit.

Irony.

Oh well thats true because flashpoint is a classic gaming series. But like in xbox live all i hear is gay people talking and on pc i hear not as many. Lol but ya you arent missing out but i understand y you would want to hear them, I start talking shit if some is giving me shit.

you are fueling the fire for tards on mic's

How would that be possible to make deaf people hear things, you just have to type and get through it, natural selection. But what would you want devs to do for you? Theres noooo wayy they can help deaf people expect by the subtitles and typing. Or if you want something changed do it yourself, become a scientist and have a sick ass team behind you and make a thing that makes your brain like hear what other people are saying or so you can hear sounds.
Your brain does not have a very good Quality Assurance process.

Access to video games is an important topic amongst developers. The International Game Developers Association has an interest group just for this. Unfortunately it is very hard to get every developer to incorporate closed captioning in every game and for every event. It has been up to second party modders http://doom3cc.planetdoom.gamespy.com/
to develop cc for a game.

I dont get it? What i meant is if he was able to hear the people with an invention of some sort.I thought i was right on the money but i guess not, sorry. Also soyo do you play source or cod2 or 4? online or any other games? I would love to play you.

There is an invention to do this already, but the things is the deaf community does not recognize it. They know it is there and they could fight for the ability to have people receive it easier, but they do not because they feel they are different and want to be.* They understand and work their lives around being deaf and enjoy it, we as a society have come to adjust things for those who are handicapped physically, but have yet to do so for those who deaf or other things.**

Options for games are to bring in CC with more support, the ability to support custom text conversations that player can create. Counter-Strike is a great game that has build in voice commands, but this is just one game (I am sure others have it) and needs to be support else where.

*This view is not 100% of the deaf community, but is how a larger majority does.
**I am not saying deaf people are handicapped, but just using that as an comparison.

There are companies that make voice recognition software for deaf people in general, right? It would be cool if they made one that could work as a plugin for games that creates captions. I don't think they would face that much trouble if their program did all the work. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact those companies. I feel bad for those that get assed out of gaming events because of it.

The idea behind this is a great one, but many deaf members do not want to talk at all, or attempt to learn to talk. Also the variance in degree of how a person, who is deaf, is much larger and much harder to pin point these will equal these words.

I am not trying to put down your idea, because as a whole voice to text should be farther along than it is, but for the deaf community it might be a tougher time to have them adjust or to write a program that can do voice to text properly.

Back