No free QoS in Untangle now?

NetJunkie

[H]F Junkie
Looking to move to a virtual firewall/router and need QoS. Grabbed the latest Untangle and it appears that QoS is no longer a free feature. That right? If so what's my next option? pfSense is good, but the QoS is way above what I need and want to mess with. I really just need basic priority queuing. VoIP up, P2P/Usenet down...everything else in the middle. Grabbing Astaro now...but on the free version it lists "Automatic QoS". So not sure it'll do what I want.

Suggestions?

Looking to move to a virtual firewall/router and need QoS. Grabbed the latest Untangle and it appears that QoS is no longer a free feature. That right? If so what's my next option? pfSense is good, but the QoS is way above what I need and want to mess with. I really just need basic priority queuing. VoIP up, P2P/Usenet down...everything else in the middle. Grabbing Astaro now...but on the free version it lists "Automatic QoS". So not sure it'll do what I want.

Suggestions?

Dam, untangle is really shooting them selves right now :(

Yep. Looks like v9 doesn't have it for free. Thing is, I'd actually pay a reasonable amount for it but I'm not paying $400-$500/yr for it. They need a home version.

Yeah..Astaro doesn't let you control it. Just does some pretty standard congestion queueing but you can't control application priorities.

Don't let pfSense intimidate you, QoS is pretty easy- just point and click for common protocols.

Don't let pfSense intimidate you, QoS is pretty easy- just point and click for common protocols.

I don't think I have a choice so I'm going to see how it goes. Being a network guy it doesn't bother me, just rather have something simpler to troubleshoot later after I don't touch this for 3 or 6 months. :)

I wish there were better docs on QoS for v2.0. That seems to be the big gap.

Suggestions?

The Bandwidth Control module was never a free ..it's a paid app...and rightfully so, it's incredibly granular and very powerful.

Basic QoS is still there in the free version as it always was.....config...networking....that drop down menu over on the right under Advanced.

Yeah..I'm an idiot. I think what got me is that it used to be a package download and now I guess it's just included? I see it now.

Yeah..I'm an idiot. I think what got me is that it used to be a package download and now I guess it's just included? I see it now.

It's the same as it has been for as long as I can remember. I don't recall it ever being a separate module on the rack.

I recently finished a 5x site WAN using OpenVPN to connect the branch offices. VoIP system passing through the tunnel. The education premium bundle version at the HQ, and the 4x satellites running the "lite" free version...utilizing the QoS of the free version to bump up the tunnel priority.

While it might be the same all the guides I saw for <9 said to go download (I think the name was) the Routing & QoS app first. That app is gone...guess they rolled it in. I assumed that meant it was just GONE.

We're good. I might switch the network over to it tonight. Worked with it all last night in a VM to get used to it.

While it might be the same all the guides I saw for <9 said to go download (I think the name was) the Routing & QoS app first. That app is gone...guess they rolled it in. I assumed that meant it was just GONE..

Huh...odd....
On a fresh build I always just hit the online store and download the Lite version first...which installs everything in the rack by default except the ad-blocker

And a word of advice to anyone using the virtual appliance. The OVA installer is "broken". It only lets you select a single port-group for networking and then it defaults to Bridging during setup. So it installs 3 NICs and then bridges them. Took my lab network down. They need to let me select the network for each one individually. So if you deploy it select a disconnected network and then correct it after you configure the VM.

Hey guys,
I've been out of the loop for about 3 years. I used to install mostly ipcop and Untangle back then and I'd like to install a software router at home.
HW will be an old HP NC8000 Laptop (1.6ghz, 2gb ram, 60gb HD) and I mostly need QOS (for voip) and OpenVPN server.
I saw ipcop is now 2.0 so I'm afraid some addons won't work.
Would you advise pfsense, ipcop, untangle or other based on this ?

So far, I think I'll go with pfsense since it has qos and HW requirements are lighter than Untangle (and I don't care about Untangle fancy java admin tool)

Thanks!

pfSense is good for QoS, I'm figuring out RouterOS now and its not bad either. I'm surprised you're going with the router VM with all the Cisco gear you have :)

Hey guys,
I've been out of the loop for about 3 years. I used to install mostly ipcop and Untangle back then and I'd like to install a software router at home.
HW will be an old HP NC8000 Laptop (1.6ghz, 2gb ram, 60gb HD) and I mostly need QOS (for voip) and OpenVPN server.
I saw ipcop is now 2.0 so I'm afraid some addons won't work.
Would you advise pfsense, ipcop, untangle or other based on this ?

So far, I think I'll go with pfsense since it has qos and HW requirements are lighter than Untangle (and I don't care about Untangle fancy java admin tool)

Thanks!

For that old hardware...if QoS is your concern, I'd do PFSense also..rather than a UTM product.

Yeah, must have been a while since you've played with Untangle...their web admin stopped being all Java a long time ago.

One nice thing about Untangle in a VM is I can flip on Fault Tolerance and have active/active failover. ;)

Astaro is very nice too, I used both in ESX and in many ways I liked it more than pfSense.

And a word of advice to anyone using the virtual appliance. The OVA installer is "broken". It only lets you select a single port-group for networking and then it defaults to Bridging during setup. So it installs 3 NICs and then bridges them. Took my lab network down. They need to let me select the network for each one individually. So if you deploy it select a disconnected network and then correct it after you configure the VM.

I've just done the regular installer in ESXi...configure NICs to present before installation, didn't have that issue, I don't think I've tried the OVA installer in a long time.

I've just done the regular installer in ESXi...configure NICs to present before installation, didn't have that issue, I don't think I've tried the OVA installer in a long time.

Maybe they'll trade me a license for maintaining that OVA...hrmmm....

Surprised at how much CPU it uses. I gave it a single vCPU on a host with a 2.66GHz X3450 Xeon quad-core. Doing a 50Mb/s download with SABNZB pegs the CPU flat out and load average goes up to around 10...and that's with everything off except for firewall. Giving it 3 vCPUs kind of solves that problem....but I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I have CPU overhead to give it..my home lab cluster is 3 similar hosts...but going to multiple vCPUs stops me from using Fault Tolerance, but I guess that's not a huge deal since it boots a lot faster with access to more cores.

how were you downloading it, via torrent or a single thread http ?

16 active connections to a usenet server. Guess I just wasn't expecting that much for JUST the firewall module running when my Apple AEBS can do it fine.

For what its worth, I've found some basic QoS stuff under Networking, using the Open Source Untangle software. Its sufficient for my needs, methinks.

While we're discussing... I'm running Untangle (open source/free stuff only) as my home router on a SFF box I built from extra parts - Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM etc... I like the vast majority of Untangle's gear but I want to ensure that I'm getting the best possible experience. Similar features like Untangle's AdBlock, Spyware Blocker, Firewall (I usually just use NAT as I don't have anything on the rule-based Firewall app. I would appreciate something that came with a general set of "normally safe, without intruding on browsing and/or torrents" rules or heuristic-based protection, but then again I have the Intrusion Detection module..), Intrusion Prevention, Phishing monitor (this never seems to scan anything), Spam monitor (again, nothing?, etc... I need basic home use routing services for around 10 devices, and the most intense stuff I do is media streaming on the internal network and BitTorrent externally.

Sometimes I have some network weirdness when I'm running BitTorrent and I'm unsure why as I keep my upload speed below maximum by about 30-50kb/s. I also specifically opened a 50,000+ port TCP/UDP for BT on one of my PCs and sometimes my client reports it open, sometimes closed etc. Sometimes I get basically no BitTorrent traffic at all and fine "everything else" or fine BitTorrent and no "everything else" etc... I assume setting 200 per-torrent and 250 globally isn't too high as it isn't too far from native if I recall.

One thing I do miss is the appearance that Untangle doesn't let you say... plug in VPN credentials for outgoing privacy use. That is to say, lets say I subscribe to a high-bandwidth OpenVPN / IPSec VPN/Proxy tunnel that I want to route all my communication through without having to individually configure everything on each box. It would be really nice to be able to configure it on the Untangle box and not have to worry anymore about privacy and security in this aspect, but it at least appears this isn't possible. Maybe I'm wrong?

Just wondering if there are any other options out there I'm missing. Thus far, everything I've found is basically solely a firewall-type distro or something server focused.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I've found some basic QoS stuff under Networking, using the Open Source Untangle software. Its sufficient for my needs, methinks.

While we're discussing... I'm running Untangle (open source/free stuff only) as my home router on a SFF box I built from extra parts - Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM etc... I like the vast majority of Untangle's gear but I want to ensure that I'm getting the best possible experience. Similar features like Untangle's AdBlock, Spyware Blocker, Firewall (I usually just use NAT as I don't have anything on the rule-based Firewall app. I would appreciate something that came with a general set of "normally safe, without intruding on browsing and/or torrents" rules or heuristic-based protection, but then again I have the Intrusion Detection module..), Intrusion Prevention, Phishing monitor (this never seems to scan anything), Spam monitor (again, nothing?, etc... I need basic home use routing services for around 10 devices, and the most intense stuff I do is media streaming on the internal network and BitTorrent externally.

Sometimes I have some network weirdness when I'm running BitTorrent and I'm unsure why as I keep my upload speed below maximum by about 30-50kb/s. I also specifically opened a 50,000+ port TCP/UDP for BT on one of my PCs and sometimes my client reports it open, sometimes closed etc. Sometimes I get basically no BitTorrent traffic at all and fine "everything else" or fine BitTorrent and no "everything else" etc... I assume setting 200 per-torrent and 250 globally isn't too high as it isn't too far from native if I recall.

For torrent stuff...you can uncheck it's blocker for it, and you can even take it a step further and..depending on which client you use, find out the port its using..and bypass that port.
http://forums.untangle.com/web-filter-lite/24668-use-bittorrent-behind-untangle.html

For your phishing and spam to function...what type of client are you using? And DNS needs to be setup correct on your Untangle box for the spam module to work properly.

Back