No Fermi benchmarks on the 26th

if only just the cards... I still remember the faithful 191.07s which bricked mobos with NF200s... But whatever, that's just some poor sob's being stupid, not installing the mobo the right, nvidia way, ain't it. All that matters is that the fanboy's a dreamworld of superior nvidia drivers is not perturbed...

The sad part about the mobo situation is that nVIdia doesn't need bad drivers to burn up chipsets. Bumbgate anyone?

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3780

Anand gives hints his 480/470 review will be up tommorow when discussing an Antec 1200 W PSU. Or am I reading this wrong?

Quotes, "As you may have heard, NVIDIA is launching a brand new pair of graphics cards tomorrow: the GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470. In preparation for tomorrow's review we needed to update our GPU testbed power supply, in case a pair of these cards ended up pushing the limits of our existing 850W PSU."

and "You'll see exactly what it's been powering in about 24 hours."

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3780

Anand gives hints his 480/470 review will be up tommorow when discussing an Antec 1200 W PSU. Or am I reading this wrong?

Quotes, "As you may have heard, NVIDIA is launching a brand new pair of graphics cards tomorrow: the GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470. In preparation for tomorrow's review we needed to update our GPU testbed power supply, in case a pair of these cards ended up pushing the limits of our existing 850W PSU."

and "You'll see exactly what it's been powering in about 24 hours."

In toms looking back at fermi rumor page he states tommorow early evening. however a site is reporting that the nda is pushed back

If Fermi NDA has been pushed back to the 29th, my guess would be to give a little more time to the reviewers to complete their reviews.

If Fermi NDA has been pushed back to the 29th, my guess would be to give a little more time to the reviewers to complete their reviews.

Or time for them to order 1000W+ PSU's because they didn't include them with the cards for review.

*braces for the inevitable flamewars about the benchmark results*

Anyone seen my fireproof gloves? :D

The biggest reason for a NDA push I could see would be if there were an update driver coming. A cynic would say that they'd want more people to buy cards in the blind, but I think they'd sell out anyhow so...

Before the flamewars, let me just state upfront that I feel like any review running Heaven with extreme mode of tesselation without showing (I'd prefer something like the ABX) a corresponding increase in visual fidelity, should be disregarded.

I'm not the one sitting here proclaiming all of these ATI problems, and pretending like NV has drivers that are any better, that would be you =) for one thing though, at least ATIs QA was never so bad as to BRICK cards with their drivers

great post :D

I'm worn out with Fermi...Nvidia botched this so bad that I really don't care anymore...delay after delay after delay...the announcement was delayed...now the actual availablity has been pushed back...even todays supposed lifting of the NDA might be delayed...this is a classic example of how you totally screw up a product launch

No need to argue (ie. defend yourself) with someone who seems to think that their isolated, possibly driver-related visual anomalies are as devastating a problem as many people having dead cards that are absolutely driver-related.

Anyways, he needs to go spend some research time today on a new PSU, because I doubt a 520W Corsair is going to power even 128 shaders on this beast.

I do look forward to the reviews though. It would be nice to have some competition restored.

I'm not the one sitting here proclaiming all of these ATI problems, and pretending like NV has drivers that are any better, that would be you =) for one thing though, at least ATIs QA was never so bad as to BRICK cards with their drivers

Yeah, you're the one sitting here claiming that nVidia has problems, and ATI is saintful with halo's ;). Your own post in this very quote is being hypocritical on that one :p. Not sure what your game is here... it isn't following any logical pattern to be honest.

ugh no I'm not, I'm simply stating that both drivers have had, and have issues.

26th, 7PM EDT

You guys listen to too many rumors from guys that do not have a solid track record for reporting any correctly to begin with. :p

Excellent post.
+1. Looks to me that Metro 2033 is the new Crysis.
No, not at all. My system maxes the game fine at 2560x1600. No system could do that for Crysis when Crysis came out. That, and the game doesn't look as good as Crysis either.

Some people just can not accept the fact that they lack the IQ to solve any computer related problems, just blame on the hardware vender and hope on an unreleased product to make him feel better. how pathetic is that.

We call those people fanboys, or shills depending on their actual job. ;)

Excellent post.
No, not at all. My system maxes the game fine at 2560x1600. No system could do that for Crysis when Crysis came out. That, and the game doesn't look as good as Crysis either.

Can you confirm that? My single 5870 runs the game in single digits fps several places when every setting is maxed, this at 1920*1200. Even at 1280*1024 it will still drop to 15'ish fps some places.

Thanks for the response Kyle.

I wanna see Eyefinity/Nvidia surround benchmarks between one 5970 and 2 GTX480's @ 5760 X 1200.

Is it against the NDA to post when the NDA is lifted?

Seems like this info should've been posted a month ago, giving people an accurate time to expect benchmarks

Can you confirm that? My single 5870 runs the game in single digits fps several places when every setting is maxed, this at 1920*1200. Even at 1280*1024 it will still drop to 15'ish fps some places.
Definitely. The only setting I have off is Advanced DOF, which has a needless performance hit for almost no impact on IQ (I think Kyle mentioned it's an issue for all DX11 cards). I also have AA set to "AAA" instead of "4x" because "4x" looks like crap and blurs all the textures (must be some kind of supersampling). With those settings I get an average of 50FPS or so, probably 35-80FPS typically. There are a few spots in the game where the FPS tanks to like 20-25, but it's always with specific types of volumetric lights. I think it's optimization/driver issue that will be fixed in later updates.

Guess I will be keeping a close watch this evening.

I'm eager to see some official numbers.

I honestly can't help but feel like this is going to be the FX series all over again. If the 480 can't out run a 5890, then I will be getting a second 5870.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we have long since stopped waiting for Fermi. It's pointless anyway since they keep pushing things back anyway.

We'll see what comes, when it comes :)

Same here. I sat back from the edge of my seat after the first of the year :D When it gets here, I'll be interested again.

Thanks for the response Kyle.

I wanna see Eyefinity/Nvidia surround benchmarks between one 5970 and 2 GTX480's @ 5760 X 1200.

I'd be much more interested in seeing 2x 5870s vs 2x 480s. I'm sure 2x 480s would crush a 5970 just because of how crippled the 5970 is.

Great, now what am I supposed to do for work today???

At least you guys are in the right time zone. It's already 5pm here. By the time it's 7pm over there I will be out partying :p

Not that I care much. It doesn't look like Fermi will be cheap or fast enough to change anything in ATI's line up below $249. I'll just keep waiting for the 8800GT or 4850 of the DX11 generation. Something that offer breakthrough performance at its price point instead of just mediocre performance and some extra features over the previous gen.

A review that goes "Fermi has better tessellation power in Heaven therefore it is better" is bad. A review that goes "Fermi has better tessellation power, but so far we only see the results of that in the Heaven benchmark where it is used to outrageous degrees that will not be seen in games for at least another decade" is good.

It might disappoint you, there is special hardware support in the very GPUs of the AMD/ATI cards to improve multi-screen performance, whereas Nvidias alternative is just a software solution - unless I've missed something with the Fermis.

I just want to see raw power, give me GTX295 performance on one card so that I can SLI and not QUAD and I am sold until ATI finally brings 3D then I will look at what they have too.

I just want to see raw power, give me GTX295 performance on one card so that I can SLI and not QUAD and I am sold until ATI finally brings 3D then I will look at what they have too.

look here

if the graph posted is accurate, it looks like the 480 compares pretty well to the 295 (give or take, depending on the game).

I hope those leaked numbers are wrong. They show the 480 being no faster than a stock 5870 in Warhead @ 1920x1200 with moderate filtering.

I hope those leaked numbers are wrong. They show the 480 being no faster than a stock 5870 in Warhead @ 1920x1200 with moderate filtering.

true, but that's only one game. It looks like it whoops it's butt in almost everything else tested (if those numbers are to be believed)

can't wait to see some official, non-nivida/ati, benchmarks

edit: when is nvidia adding 3+ screen support to their drivers?

full review

http://translate.google.com/transla...10/0326/865/000000865774.shtml&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

4e6b70d1-302e-4969-814c-e6182cd64c00.jpg

19ab9fe2-338b-4df7-9de5-3a50a09bcaac.jpg

5ab042d6-1923-4ccf-95d4-745cfaea564d.jpg

60e4bd10-1dd3-4ac1-85a3-dd56202fae1f.jpg

I'm disappointed with Nvidia for not saying much of anything (tessellation demo) right up to the day of release, makes me think they are hiding something bad.

I have a 5870 that I have had no problems with and actually I'm totally impressed with the card all around except it doesn't work with my 3D Vision kit so.

I'm the same as most when saying that before the 5870 the last ATI card I owned was a 9800pro but their drivers did suck, I do not have any problem with the drivers now though.

I will be selling my 5870 to fund Fermi but it might have to have a 5 at the end (as in 485) by the sounds of it.

I can buy those numbers. It's a shame the 470 isn't more impressive, though.

Those numbers actually made me satisfied about my buy of HD5870 half year ago :D. GTX470 is pretty much HD5870 for NVIDIA fans (same price, +/- same performance), and GTX480 performance is better, but pricing is insane (460-505€ in my country).

I can buy those numbers. It's a shame the 470 isn't more impressive, though.

Ditto, considering a 5870 can OC to those levels already and the 480 is very likely OC-limited.

For my use, however, I'm more interested in seeing performance at extreme 3DSurround resolutions vs. Eyefinity and scaling of SLI vs Crossfire. I'll wait for the official reviews to make a final judgement...

Back