"No Eye Strain with sRGB mode, any ideas why?"

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
This is from another forum. They state:

Hi,

I use a BenQ GW2765 27" 1440p IPS 60hz Monitor.

Every mode I've tried such as 'Standard' 'Gaming' etc on the monitor have all given me eye strain (yellowy/blood shot eyes) after prolonged use, whereas when I use 'sRGB' mode I don't get any eye strain and I have no idea why that is.

Would like to figure out exactly what it is for when I upgrade monitors in the future and if there is a way to get the same affect with 'gaming' mode which has a faster response time.

Thanks.

They also state:

I use the same brightness and contrast settings with all modes (Contrast 50 Brightness 17), yet there is still something about sRGB mode that doesn't give me any eye strain when all the others do?

It's definitely not too bright and as for the contrast, I can't change that from 50 otherwise blacks will be too dark or whites will be too white.

Thank you.

They also state:

Yup, my brother owns the AOC G2460PG 24" 1080p 144hz Gsync monitor, when I use it, the colors may not be as good because it's TN, but otherwise contrast, brightness etc are all the same if not lower, yet I get eye strain unless it's in sRGB mode, and unfortunately with that monitor if you select sRGB mode you can't change the brightness for some weird reason so it's super bright and thus not usable in that mode.

I found these on sRGB mode because the monitor I'm testing out now informed it was in sRGB mode and that this meant I couldn't adjust the brightness nor contrast due to California law. The sRGB mode seemed comfortable, but not being able to adjust the brightness and contrast kills it. Why would they do that and how common is it?

And why would certain people find sRGB more comfortable?

BenQ GW2765 is standard gamut monitor. Such monitors never have any gamut emulation and only thing that could potentially change is gamma but most just set it to pre-defined 2.2.
On my Acer Predator XB271HK enabling sRGB mode increase brightness to ridiculous 80%, set gamma to 2.2 and color temperature to Warm resulting in eye blazing 280cd/m2 and changing any value will disable this so called "sRGB mode". PRetty ridiculous given sRGB supposed to have

On wide gamut monitors (anything with HDR, even pseudo-HDR should have wide gamut) enabling sRGB mode enables gamut emulation. It is not so much better on eyes as it produces more correct colors.
Thing though with sRGB emulation on wide gamut monitors is that it negatively affects subpixel font rendering (like ClearType) which does not take into account this gamut emulation. Wide gamut monitor in native gamut will show fonts correctly but still with more color fringing because colors are more saturated. This is why for my main text monitor I prefer native sRGB monitors. On HP LP2480zx which have ridiculosly wide gamut this effect is pretty obvious, especially when comparing with native sRGB monitor with comparable PPI. On your typical DCI-P3 gamut monitor this effect is not as severe but still can be noticed.

But I really doubt anything that has native gamut close to sRGB use any gamut emulation in this mode and if it did it would be detrimental to eye comfort (even if little) than beneficial. Then if this effect is real it leaves gamma. Without measurement data I doubt any conclusion can be made other than assumption that such effect as less eye strain in sRGB mode is imaginary.

Back