no display from new card

Snakebyt

[H]ard|Gawd
friend of mine is working on building a system, we put it together a couple weeks ago and got no display from his card . checked and double checked everything. Finally decided to throw in his really really old video card from a previous build in there and it took a while, 45 seconds or so and got display .. so we assumed it was a bad card and RMA the card, His new one showed up today and same thing.. no display at all...

anything i may be missing?
https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-100419p6gl/p/N82E16814202364

thats the card he has

What are the rest of specs to build? Maybe power issue to card, you have the 6pin and 8 pin power in there?

the PS only has a 6+2 power for PCIe, same thing plugged in or unplugged
motherboard is ASrock b450M steel legend
Ryzen 7 2700X
16gb Gskill tridentZ RGB ram
thermaltake 700W power supply, not sure the exact model , smart RGB if that helps

What monitor are you using and what cable? Tried a different cable?

Have you tried different ports on the GPU (e.g. HDMI and DisplayPort)?

the card has 3 display ports, and only 1 HDMI, monitor and cord are good as tested with his Xbox via HDMI

Make sure that the bios on the motherboard are updated as well. In rare cases, this can be an issue with newer cards. Out of curiosity, did your card come with a power cable adapter from PCIE 6 pin to 8 pin? I remember installing a 5600 XT in a buddy's rig and it had something I'd never seen before where the 6+2 wasn't fitting properly, but I used the adapter and it was fine.

Random question, but do you get display at system post, or just lose it with windows?

the motherboard is on the latest bios, He bought the mobo/cpu from a friend and was fully updated and operational when pulled from the system.

Have you tried the bios switch on card? Also have you tried other pcie slot on mobo? Other steps would be to reset bios to factory defaults. Might be something weird like fast boot or oc settings. I had something weird setup in my asrock b450i that would not display until windows.

Ryzen 7 2700X
thermaltake 700W power supply, not sure the exact model , smart RGB if that helps
You need to plug in both power connectors.

I would buy a new HDMI cable (does the monitor have DisplayPort? That would be ideally better) and a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter.

I know you said you tested an Xbox, but I've come across issues where a particular cable wouldn't work on one monitor but would on another (even though both monitors worked).

Also, I think these days all the video ports can be primary displays, but it doesn't hurt to try another port as well (you can do this with a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter).

Finally, are you using a modular power supply? Are you sure the end of the GPU cord is connected fully into the PSU (again, this can be deceiving). Also make sure it's on the correct port, they have labels.

we have tried 3 different HDMI cables before we tested them with the Xbox. Not a modular power supply, and his monitor only has HDMI, plug in his old card and the system works. I am wondering if it could be the 6+2 connector.. anyone know what voltages what wires should have? Should be able to test with a multimeter

I have had issue's with the PCI Express connection on at least one video card before where it just is not fully seated in the slot but looks as it is seated or it grounded out some how ,, I have a single 8 pin connection RX 5700 that's under 10" long and I have ran it on a Corsair TX 650 without issues and it's an older design but strong single rail in 12v in amps.

Also buying a working system without that very video card means a full cmos reset for a new video card as the ID will never match the saved data pool of parts it was built with .

we have tried 3 different HDMI cables before we tested them with the Xbox. Not a modular power supply, and his monitor only has HDMI, plug in his old card and the system works. I am wondering if it could be the 6+2 connector.. anyone know what voltages what wires should have? Should be able to test with a multimeter

The pins farther away from the latch are the 12V input. You should have 3 pins that supply 12V and five that have continuity to ground. Pin 1 is the one with a square shaped shroud in the row farther from the latch.
https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/power_supply/pci-express-pcie-8pin-power/

Have you tried the card in question in another system?

have pulled and reinstalled the card several times, have reset the cmos via jumper pins twice, Tested the 6+2 with a voltmeter and all have correct voltages. Im at a loss

You have more than one PCIE slot on there? Do yourself a favor, install both, on the older card do not put a power cable into it (it should still read and get power, otherwise use a pcie adapter if you have one), in the other slot install the new card. Go into bios and see if it detects both cards.

You have more than one PCIE slot on there? Do yourself a favor, install both, on the older card do not put a power cable into it (it should still read and get power, otherwise use a pcie adapter if you have one), in the other slot install the new card. Go into bios and see if it detects both cards.

Most graphics cards will not function at all without the power cables plugged in, even with power from the motherboard. There are a few (GTX 690 being one) that will show a nice friendly message to this effect, but most just don't show anything at all.

have pulled and reinstalled the card several times, have reset the cmos via jumper pins twice, Tested the 6+2 with a voltmeter and all have correct voltages. Im at a loss
Have you checked to make sure that the graphics card setting in the bios is set to PCI-E, and not onboard, or whatever it's labeled as on this board? I wouldn't think this would matter with an igpu-less CPU, but it could, maybe.

It is possible that you have a defective card. I would try to test this card in an otherwise known-good system. If it works there, the problem is some part of your motherboard/graphics card arrangement. if it doesn't work in your known-good system, then suspect the graphics card.

Have you tried bios switch on gpu, I think one is uefi and the other is legacy, or something like that?

Try the video card in a different system.

My guess is the power supply is the problem. A 700W PSU with only a single 6+2 PCIe power plug? That seems a little sketchy to me. Is the power supply in question brand new?

I tossed out a 1250W PSU yesterday because it started dropping out the PCI-e voltage after a lightening strike last week. PSU is always suspect, but the fact that you are not even getting POST video suggests PCI-e slot issues to me.

And I would suggest highly unlikely that you would get two bad me cards.

Mobo/compatibility issue is my first guess.

I wonder what would happen if you put both the old and new video card in the system at once. New card in primary slot (upper pcie) and old card in second slot (attached to monitor)

With the working old card you should be able to get some video, and maybe after you get into Windows you can do more diagnostics.

I also think there is a very small chance that two brand new cards are broken, with the same exact problem.

I have a z270 here that will not post with a GPU in slot 1, slot 2, no problem....2080ti card for the record.

Ryzen 7 2700X
Bios appears not to be recognizing video card, Asrock has some extra CSM options which maybe conflicting with the video card firmware (just a guest) which you might try.
This might be worth a try:
  • Put in the working old video card and go into the bios
  • Select the Boot Option tab/screen
  • CSM enabled
    • "Launch Video OpROM Policy" option -> change this to UEFI if it was selected to Legacy
      • There are three options, one you already tried whatever it was, I think that would be Legacy, anyways UEFI should allow the bios to work with the firmware on the 5600XT
        • Legacy
        • UEFI
        • Do Not Launch
  • Remove the old video card and put in the new and try to see if the motherboard recognizes and can post into the bios with video output.
Disabling CSM from enabled to disabled may work but the manual for some reason says not to.

Test out the card in another computer if you can.

Back