No DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7 Planned?

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Nov 14, 2012.

1. CappyCobra

CappyCobra [H]Lite

Yeah, it looks too proper to be legit right? :rolleyes:

2. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Thats not dx10 on xp, its a hack that lets native dx10 games play on xp while emulating dx10 effects. I've used the alchy project before to get crisis to work on an xp install for a friend, it isn't the same.

This has been known for a while.

3. dagamer34

dagamer34 Limp Gawd

I'm kinda disappointed that the HardForum couldn't spot FUD shoved right in their faces...

1) The only reason games still use DirectX 9 is not because of Windows XP, but because of the Xbox 360. Studios still have to create DX9-era assets and level of detail (which goes all the way back to 2004 era hardware) so they might as well support most of that on the PC. Easy prediction, we'll see games quickly shift to requiring just DirectX 11 (not 11.1 because they aren't idiots) when the next Xbox comes out).
    2) Most games support multiple versions of DirectX. Shocking, I know.
    3) There is absolutely no reason for a game to ever require DirectX 11.1 instead of DirectX 11.
    4) The first game that will actually even USE DirectX 11.1 won't come out for probably over a year or so.
    5) The ONLY tangible benefit to DirectX 11.1 for end users is a standardized way to do stereoscopic 3D. If you don't care about that, then the update doesn't do much for you at all.

Honestly, I've seen this so poorly reported on the Internet, it makes me angry. None of the people writing these stories seem to understand what the hell they are talking about and spout words like fragmentation and other crap. Makes no sense!

4. WaltC

WaltC [H]ard|Gawd

Priced at $39.99 for the "ultimate" version, called "Pro" this go around--why would anyone not buy Win8?

I spent $249 for Vista Ultimate; then $89.00 for Win7 Home Premium--so of course I will buy Win 8 Pro for $39.99. It's a no-brainer. I'm sure that I will keep Win7/Win8 in dual boot config for sometime into the future.

The functional difference between D3d 11 and D3d 11.1 is practically zip and won't affect game development. That's not a reason not to buy it.

5. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

For the same reason you wouldn't buy a game on Steam that you would never play just because it cost 99 cents. I don't buy crappy software just because it's a good deal.

6. pstang

pstang [H]ard|Gawd

yeah a page full of grammatical errors(among other things), and then a download to put dx10 on windows xp doesnt set off any red flags. im not saying its not a legit site but im not going trust it.

besides, i have used that hack myself years ago and its far from dx10 on xp, i think trimlock put it best

7. Ashbringer

Ashbringer [H]ardness Supreme

Look who's talking. You talk of AOL and Windows from the 90's. Have fun with your Windows 8.

[​IMG]

8. Ashbringer

Doesn't mean it doesn't work. It does show that Microsoft put no effort in making DX10 work in XP. It does show it's possible. It does show that Microsoft did so intentionally.

Will it work as well as Vista or Windows 7? Of course not, cause this is something that a community put together. Had if Microsoft done it, it would be a perfectly working product. There's bound to be issues and glitches.

If it walks like a duck... Microsoft clearly avoided putting DX10 on Windows XP and they ended up shooting themselves in their own foot. Developers made DX9 games anyway, even after 10 years of it's existence. We going to see a repeat with DX11?

9. pelo

pelo 2[H]4U

That depends on what the standard API across all 3 next gen consoles is. The other issue developers face is that there's a lot of money to be made on non-DX devices like tablets and smartphones which can also run quite a few games as well. Though those games won't be your BF3s, it still represents a massive opportunity at making a huge amount of money off Android and iOS.

10. Steelgrave

Steelgrave Limp Gawd

LOL that's awesome!

11. travbrad

travbrad [H]ard|Gawd

Not really:

(first number is what it shipped with, second number the latest update)

Win98 - DirectX 5.2 -> DX 8.1
    Win2k - DX 7.0 -> DX 9.0c
    WinXP - DX 8.1 -> 9.0c
    Vista - DX 10.0 -> DX 11
    Win7 - DX 11
    Win8 - DX 11.1

12. shadyqwerty

shadyqwerty Gawd

Am I the only one afraid of the tiles?

*shudders*

13. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

+1. Funniest damn picture on the interwebs right now. :)

14. Trimlock

Its not dx10 in any shape, its so hack by passing the dx check then taking any effects it can use in dx9 code path. Ask you are getting is a dx10 game on dx9 systems without any of the benefit if what dx10 face gave us.

Ms came out and said it themselves they have zero intention of requiring the driver model for xp so it can work with dx10. The while point of the upgrade is to phase out legacy overhead that wa originally keeping overhead very high.

Get mad at them all you want but they specifically came out and told you, they don't owe any of us infinite legacy support

15. Kitebasher

Kitebasher [H]Lite

These points summerized what I said better than I said it. OpenGL had a period in which is was in a slump because Microsoft owned the platform and had better marketing, but with their API being isolated to the platforms they choose, OpenGL has the market. Especially with the market for graphically capable devices increasing. As the graphic potential for mobile devices gets close the performance gap, and with the humongous market for mobile devices, a market that is not controlled by MS, developers that currently use DirectX are going to have more incentive to move to OpenGL, and those who already fully support it are going to see their work pay off.

16. Kitebasher

Kitebasher [H]Lite

I phrased that really badly. Did not intend to imply or say that MS owned OpenGL, only that they owned and controlled the major gaming platform (ie windows).

17. BladeVenom

BladeVenom [H]ardness Supreme

Imagine how good Minesweeper look with DirectX 11.1.

Microsoft completed their abandonment of serious games for the PC when the shut down Ensemble Studios and Aces Studio two years ago.

MS is basically irrelevant now as far as PC gaming goes. No other game studios will make DirectX 11.1 a requirement. Even if MS bullies a company into it, I will be using Steam on Linux before then.

18. BloodDonor

BloodDonor Limp Gawd

Ive had 3 friends buy Windows 8... 2 reverted to 7 within the last 2 days.... /facepalm MS

19. Betaboy1983

Betaboy1983 [H]ard|Gawd

Microsoft once again making you push over your O/S for the latest because you need it for DX to work with your new game/video card. I'm only saying this because I think Win8 is a load of smartphone shit. Then again I didn't want to go to Vista for DX10 but I did, but then again... Uhg.. I hate Windows 8.

20. Unknown-One

Unknown-One [H]ardForum Junkie

Wow, MASSIVE overreaction in here. Microsoft is, in fact, releasing a "Platform Update" for Windows 7 that adds DX 11.1 components.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2012/11/14/directx-11-1-and-windows-7.aspx

This falls in line with the Platform Update released for Windows Vista that installs DirectX 11 components.

You can update Windows 98 to DX9...

21. ljbade

ljbade Limp Gawd

It seems IE10 relies on DX11.1 so thats why they released the update, same for Vista with IE9.

22. ChronoDetector

ChronoDetector 2[H]4U

Meh... doesn't really matter, doubt there is a huge difference between DX11 and DX11.1, and a lot of games still use DX9 let alone DX10.

23. MrLonghair

MrLonghair [H]ard|Gawd

And in the latest news, MS gave in and added "some" DX11.1 features to the next DX update to Windows 7.

Features not included are things that make sense, like MS Store support, and things that don't make sense being Win8 exclusive, like support for higher quality textures.

(and speaking of MineSweeper, do they still push ads down your throat?)

24. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

Not sure what's more annoying: DX11.1 only on Windows 8, or people still using stupid fucking "$" when spelling "Microsoft." Sooooooo clever. :p

25. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

They are only adding some components from IncontinentX 11.1. Which is totally awesome because now you'll have Version 11, Version 11.1 and Version 11.1 and 1/2th, adding to confusion. And people complain that GNU/Linux is fragmented; at least we only have one graphics API to worry about.

26. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

I will say the quality of posts on this forum have degraded drastically over the past few years or so.

27. DeathPrincess

DeathPrincess [H]ard as it Gets

Sorry. :(

28. tvdang7

tvdang7 [H]ardness Supreme

Don't care we are all still on DX9 lol

29. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Wow, I bet you spent all night on that? :rolleyes: Strange, my start screen looks nothing like that but, than again, I know how to set up things the way I like.

30. ManofGod

I got over my fear of computers a long, long time ago. Sounds like you still have issues to work through. ;)

31. Stiletto

Stiletto [H]ardness Supreme

Whoopee. I'm sure it will be used just as much as 10.1 was used in Vista.

32. Trimlock

10.1 was used in a ton of ways, just not very much for gaming.

33. Ashbringer

You really think I made that? Let me teach you the ways of my people.

34. Trimlock

I wanted to bring up a few things about that picture:

Big colorful buttons aren't the same as live tiles

and

That was when AOL was so big, most people considered them the internet. Complete dominance in their respected market.

So the picture is wants MS to repeat their dominance in their respected market?

35. Kitebasher

Kitebasher [H]Lite

What?

36. ManofGod

37. wonderfield

wonderfield [H]ardness Supreme

You aren't really getting any greater quality out of 10-bit component or 16-bit component textures.

38. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

Lol I know right of all my many games I play only 5% of them support DX11. None of them require it.

39. Trimlock

Yea I agree but hey it worked for nvidia back in the day, just another advertising point.

40. BladeVenom

BladeVenom [H]ardness Supreme

That photo was from a publicity photo made by Microsoft. So if you think the setup sucks, it's the idiots at MS who are responsible.