No BS fan replacement suggestions for H80

I would stay away from slipstreams for a radiator fan. I got 3 of them just to mess with and they don't have good static pressure. They move a lot of air but they are also noticeably louder then my other fans on full speed.

Check out the cougars, I keep hearing good things about them.

I come across a few newegg reviews for the cougars regarding them buggering up when placed horizontal. But not everyone mentions it (I guess not everyone uses it horizontally, either...) so I'm wondering if those ones just so happen to be quasi-defective? Because those same users usually report that when used vertically, they run fine.

That sounds a lot like sleeve bearing issues to me... a lot of sleeve bearing fans will make noises in the horizontal position, but not in the vertical position.

I wonder if their bearings are some sort of sleeve bearing derivative? Because I know a lot of sleeve fans have issues in the horizontal position. Interestingly enough, though, all of my Coolermaster R4 (2 of them) and Aerocool Silver Lightnings (3 of them) do not exhibit any problems in the horizontal position, and they're all sleeve fans.

I come across a few newegg reviews for the cougars regarding them buggering up when placed horizontal. But not everyone mentions it (I guess not everyone uses it horizontally, either...) so I'm wondering if those ones just so happen to be quasi-defective? Because those same users usually report that when used vertically, they run fine.

All sleeve bearing fans do this over time, they are not meant to be run like that, so the bearing takes more wear and tear, some don't like it at all and will click etc from the get go (but will work just fine) however, expect shorter life out of them. Sleeve bearings are used in cheaper fans, they are quiet (when mounted right) and are cheap to make, BB on the other hand, cost more and often do not have smooth sound, the GT line being an exception, one of the best sounding BB fans I have heard.

Back