No Booting To Desktop In Windows 8?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Rumor has it that Microsoft has blocked the ability to boot straight to desktop in Windows 8. Why would the company do that? I mean, it's not like it takes more than one click to get to the desktop now but why would they actively block it?

Those with access to the final builds are discovering the final tweaks Microsoft made to the product since the last public test build, Windows 8 Release Preview, was delivered. One of those tweaks is the decision to block users from setting up their Windows 8 machines to boot straight to the Desktop, circumventing the tiled Start screen, formerly known as the Metro screen.

Not smart.
Blocking the only feature that would have made it ok to upgrading to Windows 8 on a desktop.

Probably more to do with preventing OEM from creating custom bundles that makes customers unaware of Metro and use their software like how HP likes to cover up the Desktop in their TouchSmart line, seeing how the vocal minority is making a lot of noise against Metro. Microsoft probably wants to prevent OWM from giving in to their fears and not let customers give Metro a chance.

Don't really care too much about this. I boot my computer like once a month.

TWO KEYPRESSES A MONTH! MY GOD! Alert the President.

Very simple reason, they want people to use Metro.

Why?

Because they want the masses to learn and become reliant on one interface for computers, phones, tablets, and consoles.

Since they dominate the PC market, they can try and force that change on people, and once mom and dad know how Metro works, they will probably want the same thing for their phone and tablet, rather than have to learn some completely new Apple or Sony or Blackberry interface.

I am fortunate to use an operating system that does what *I* want it to do and not what some corporation wants it to do.

The sheer arrogance of Microsoft here is astounding. It is not enough to foist the pile of turd formerly known as Metro (maybe they can adopt a symbol like Prince) but now they have to go out of their way to prevent people from bypassing it.

How many times must I say it.

Meh... If anything, it's gonna be a Windows 7 boom... Remember when Vista came out and sucked a$$, Dell (and I believe somebody else) started offering Windows XP on certain models of their PC's? I see that coming back. If not, I'll probably be there thanking MS for pushing more business to me, in form of new PC owners asking for a "downgrade" to Windows 7.....:eek:;)

Why?

Because they want the masses to learn and become reliant on one interface for computers, phones, tablets, and consoles.

Since they dominate the PC market, they can try and force that change on people, and once mom and dad know how Metro works, they will probably want the same thing for their phone and tablet, rather than have to learn some completely new Apple or Sony or Blackberry interface.
This is mostly true, with the added exception that it makes Microsoft the most money. There's going to be a lot of resistance for developers to go Metro, and that prevents Microsoft from making the 30% share of sales. If they want to profit from the app store, they need to force users into Metro, which will force developers to develop on Metro.

Seen the Xbox 360 dashboard lately? One word: ADVERTISEMENTS

I know, I'm crazily jumping the gun here. Not a problem for those of us that would know how to block the ads but the 360 dashboard is a damn disaster with Microsoft marketing it as a full-on entertainment machine; TV and movie advertisements all across it. It might could pass for that if it actually played MKV files, until then I'll just use another device for that.

Well of course they want to funnel everyone through Metro. It's not just a start menu replacement, it's their gateway to sell you stuff too. It's like a giant popup ad build right into the operating system.

Why should we buy Win 8 with no choices, letting Microsoft have their way??

That's like buying a car with only one gear, blocking the other 3 gears.

:mad:

Well of course they want to funnel everyone through Metro. It's not just a start menu replacement, it's their gateway to sell you stuff too. It's like a giant popup ad build right into the operating system.

Exactly, they don't want people to be able to bypass the Windows store.

Love this thread. "Microsoft made it so you have to see the Metro screen when you boot." is now "Microsoft forcing people to use the Windows Store!!"

Exactly, they don't want people to be able to bypass the Windows store.

No problem, I'll simply bypass it by not using Windows 8.

Besides, I'm sure there will soon be a hack to get around this and have Windows 8 go right to the Desktop. Millions of hackers are way smarted than Microsoft :)

Why should we buy Win 8 with no choices, letting Microsoft have their way??

I read on my own WordPress blog last week that Microsoft is planning to send internal security to peoples' homes, breaking down their doors (which they will pay to replace) and forcibly installing Windows 8 even if you don't pay for it.

That's like buying a car with only one gear, blocking the other 3 gears.

:mad:

Oh yeah, while they're visiting, Microsoft mechanics will also give you a new car that can only drive in reverse. :p

Could it be any more painfully obvious that Microsoft wants Windows to be an iOS-style walled garden where all application and content acquisition is funneled through them and their partners?

lets start a pool, How many days after the official release some 3rd party will have a small app that does just what MS doesn't want it's users to do..

lets start a pool, How many days after the official release some 3rd party will have a small app that does just what MS doesn't want it's users to do..

Within 24 hours of retail release.

It will still flash on the screen, but a start up script could automate the the click required. I have zero interest in Metro, or the crap they want to do with it, I do have an interest in Win8. It does have some benefits over Win7 that I would gladly embrace, should a reliable Win7 style start menu surface, and I can just skip Metro to go to the desktop.
Sticking to Android on phones and tablets anyway.

Bend over folks!!! That Micro$haft is getting LONG AND HARD!

AppleSoft appstore ftw.

I'll still dual boot my 7/*Nix. I'm learning more and more each time with linux, so it'll be a matter of time before i find myself using it more and more.

Not smart.
Blocking the only feature that would have made it ok to upgrading to Windows 8 on a desktop.

Could you elaborate on your retard logic? Why do you feel that saving 2 seconds on a cold boot is going to make it "ok" to upgrade to Windows 8?

I'm going to get a kick out of this thread in a year when I come back to it to see how silly everyone looks for not wanting to get rid of the garbage start button.

I'm going to get a kick out of this thread in a year when I come back to it to see how silly everyone looks for not wanting to get rid of the garbage start button.

That won't happen, and if it does it won't be within a year. The start menu is too ingrained in people to get over it that fast. Some people will upgrade just to say they did and try to make a huge deal of it, but most will stick with Win7 I'm sure.

Why?
No. Because of Store :p.

Both. Or to be easier.....money.

Because Windows 8 is a trap, and we all see it coming from a mile away.

True enough, but businesses have always tried their best to extricate your money from your wallet. They just usually try to make you feel better about it instead of feeling like you just got thrown up on.

Man, a lot of people act like a bunch of six year olds who think they'll get cooties if they so much as look at the Start Screen. How big a deal is it to click the "desktop" tile? How often do you reboot your machine during the course of a day, or a week or a month? In my day to day use of the RP I hardly ever even see the Start Screen. Windows 7 taught me to pin my most used apps to the taskbar and to use jump lists to start them up. Why waste time poking around in the Start Menu?

Man, a lot of people act like a bunch of six year olds who think they'll get cooties if they so much as look at the Start Screen. How big a deal is it to click the "desktop" tile? How often do you reboot your machine during the course of a day, or a week or a month? In my day to day use of the RP I hardly ever even see the Start Screen. Windows 7 taught me to pin my most used apps to the taskbar and to use jump lists to start them up. Why waste time poking around in the Start Menu?

Word, hell use Windows + D if you don't want to click.

People are making mountains out of mole hills. I've been messing around with the Win 8 release preview off and on. The Metro screen is completely surplus to requirements on the desktop, you almost never see it if your just working as you normally would. It hasn't really changed how I use the PC at all.

Would it have been nice to have an option to just turn it off, sure... but it's hardly the world ending cataclysm that a lot of the whiners would have you believe.

Don't really care too much about this. I boot my computer like once a month.

TWO KEYPRESSES A MONTH! MY GOD! Alert the President.

Clearly you don't use computers much since you only boot twice a month. Thus your opinion is worthless.

Word, hell use Windows + D if you don't want to click.

People are making mountains out of mole hills. I've been messing around with the Win 8 release preview off and on. The Metro screen is completely surplus to requirements on the desktop, you almost never see it if your just working as you normally would. It hasn't really changed how I use the PC at all.

Would it have been nice to have an option to just turn it off, sure... but it's hardly the world ending cataclysm that a lot of the whiners would have you believe.

Yep. It's just a lot of ignorance from people who'd rather have emotional childish reactions instead of just thinking for a few minutes about their daily workflow. In Windows 7, I almost never saw my desktop, and only used the Start Menu when I had a brand new program I wanted to pin to the taskbar, or wanted to run something that I only use once in a blue moon.

In Windows 8, I virtually never see Metro. It has nearly zero practical impact.

Back