No Beeps, No POST, Fans spin, lights solid, Need some Help!

josephnunn

n00b
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a pickle of a time with the computer in my sig. Let me sum up:

Running Funtoo Linux as dual boot with Windows 10, built a new kernel. When I rebooted into the new kernel the machine froze on restart at the following screen:
IMG_3028.jpg

I waited a bit, but no progress, I decided to reboot and try again, this worked once but I got stuck in the same place. On reboot the machine shows nothing on the screen, fans spin up, but no beeps, no POST, hard drive activity light solid. It gets power as normal.

I've tried the following remedies:

reset CMOS
check CMOS battery with multimeter
removed all RAM
removed all cards from slots
unplugged all drives

I'm now down to just the motherboard, cpu, the buzzer, and the power supply. No beeps, no post, nothing.

I'm think perhaps the bios chip got corrupted, somehow, should I still expect to get beeps if the bios is corrupted?

The bios chip has a socket making it easy to replace, anyone know where I might find a DFI x58 bios chip suitable for this board?

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to try next? This has been a fine machine and I don't want to pasture it.

Joseph

No idea if it's your problem, but here is your chip: BIOS CHIP: DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8

I used that seller for my ASUS Z68 board and got great service from them.

Thanks, I ordered the chip as I've exhausted all other options this morning. I left the CMOS battery out overnight, power disconnected, and hit the power button a few times before putting things back together again to see if that would work. No Dice.

I will try this BIOS chip, as I'm of the belief that if the BIOS is bad then no beeps. I believe this because the beep codes are defined by the BIOS type, if someone out there believes I should still get beep codes even with a bad BIOS chip please let me know!

If the BIOS chip does not work, I might ebay a cheap 920 cpu and see if the CPU is the problem. I know if the CPU is absent you get no beeps. If that doesn't work, I will try another PSU but I really doubt that is the problem, its indicator lights show all is well.

Thanks for the link!

Joseph

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've an update:

I received my new bios chip, and also went out and picked up a new power supply, an EVGA 1kw P2.

I tried both and neither worked to solve my problem.

To recap: system powers on, fans spin, hard drive light stays on solid, but no POST, no beeps, no screen output, nothing.

I've previously stripped the system down to just the MB, CPU, PSU, and tried 2 buzzers with same results. I've now tried a new BIOS chip and PSU, excluding those issues.

That leaves just the CPU and MB, unfortunately the MB does not have voltage measurement points for a multimeter, which I could use to check if power is getting anywhere as it should.

Ebaying a used x58 board seems expensive compared to another 920 CPU, which might be the next step if I don't just replace the MB, CPU, and RAM completely for a new system. Those used E5 2670s are looking dirt cheap or do I wait for Broadwell-E? Even if I did I would probably go for a Xeon E5 1650 v4 or similar for ECC this time around unless Broadwell-E offers something special.

Anyone with ideas on what to try next?

Thanks!

Joseph

Well I think I'm giving up on this boxen, instead of ebaying a used 920 I will just part out the machine, keeping the case, power supply and drives for my next build. If anyone sees something they want in my sig pm me. I've got all the manuals, packaging and everything for the components. I haven't used heatware before as I stick with my builds basically forever (my sig I built in 2009) but I'm interested in getting started.

I was able to find a new Asrock Rack EP2C602 dual socket 2011 board on Newegg for the regular price and have ordered 2 x E5 2670 v1 SR0KX stepping Xeons and 64 GB ECC DDR3 for it from Natex.us for a song. I had originally planned to wait until Skylake E but this is clearly the mostest for the leastest right now, with an option to upgrade to some much faster Ivy Bridge Xeons if any ever become cheap enough on ebay. I considered going for a 2011-3 board and a E5 1650 v3 (or v4 when released), however that would be way more expensive and given the drop in clock speeds for the E5 v4s over the v3s I just don't believe the same kind of opportunity will exist in the future as does right now for Sandy Bridge E5s. The Broadwell E5 v4s maximize efficiency over speed, many skus are slower single threaded than the processors they are replacing but have many more cores. Therefore I believe companies will use the opportunity to buy less albeit more efficient gear, which means there will be less available for buying on ebay when they are retired and they will be too slow for what I will want at that time.

What do you guys think?

Joseph

Just read your issue. I had a similar problem. Ends up my cpu was fried. Good luck.

Just read your issue. I had a similar problem. Ends up my cpu was fried. Good luck.

Did you overclock that CPU? I don't overclock and I wonder if the probability the CPU dies is higher for overclockers. If I can get a 920 for $25 or less I'll give it a shot, but the minimum for nehalem CPUs is around $50 right now and given the fact I picked up 2 E5 2670 v1 for $65 each I just don't think its worth it really. Maybe I'll hang onto the board and try to POST it again if a cheap CPU becomes available, if the board is good its worth quite a bit.

Thanks for responding!

Joseph

I just went thru the exact scenario a few days ago.
Long story short put in old test CPU and back to life it came.
Still no beeps though but working fine now.
See if anybody might loan you a CPU to test.

Back