No Answer for the 5970?

im not sure if its even possible to make a 480gtx dual board, you would need 600w from a single board, which is excessive to say the least

Yeah, I'm shocked to see the 480 GTX uses a lot of power, almost close to a 5970 and that is insane, it would be impossible for NVIDIA to make a "495 GTX" or any kind of dual card with such a TDP that high.

The first 480GTX X2, whenever that comes, I can see going back to those dual PCB cards.

digdogchris is right. once a refresh comes we should be able to see a dualgpu card.

You could imagine a small towns lights going dim for a second if something like that was fired up.

I use to remember video cards did not use PCI power connectors and only took one one slot but its just getting ludicrous that video cards now require at least two (Soon three) power connectors and cards becoming bigger in size. I guess that happens when technology evolves, in order to become faster and powerful you'll need to use more resources.

I wonder what will NVIDIA do if ATI did happen to release 6000 series since they are late to the game. I doubt it they would have another generation ready since they had complications and delays while getting this one out.

I wonder what will NVIDIA do if ATI did happen to release 6000 series since they are late to the game. I doubt it they would have another generation ready since they had complications and delays while getting this one out.

I doubt nVidia stopped working on the post-Fermi generation(s) of cards just because of the delay. We could be looking at a short generation, perhaps? Edit: Maybe I should read your entire post before replying :eek:

may be we will see a card that need two 8 pin and two 6 pin power plug
A dual 480GTX would likely be 2 8-pin PCI-E simply based on knowing they have to reduce the size and power consumption before a dual gpu card can even be considered.

I doubt there could be a gtx 495 as the power requierments would not be pci x16 compliant.

The first 480GTX X2, whenever that comes, I can see going back to those dual PCB cards.

With very hot chips sandwiched in such a board I can see it being very noisy. Probably will be single PCB for reduced BOM and complexity. Why else would they craft two versions of the GTX 295? And I don't think we'll see a dual GPU board until a die shrink is made at the soonest.

digdogchris is right. once a refresh comes we should be able to see a dualgpu card.

This.

With very hot chips sandwiched in such a board I can see it being very noisy. Probably will be single PCB for reduced BOM and complexity. Why else would they craft two versions of the GTX 295? And I don't think we'll see a dual GPU board until a die shrink is made at the soonest.
I definitely think the right thing for them to do is stay with the single PCB dual gpu design that they brought on with the 295. I just don't know if Nvidia will be able to hold out that long. People will want the dual gpu card sooner than later and Nvidia may be pressured to release something before they are capable of fitting it on a single PCB. If that is the case they would have to go back to their old ways and use the sandwich method. I don't know how much smaller they have to make the 550 mm chip to fit 2 on one board but it seems like they would need some major technical breakthroughs to accomplish that. Considering how long it took them to just make a single gpu card with Fermi, it may be a year or two of further developing to significantly reduce the size, heat and power requirements of the gpu.

So to run 3 GTX 480s and an i7-980x CPU overclocked to 4 GHz would probably require a good 1200 W PSU I would think correct?

I'm running a mildly OC'd 920 and 3 285s and pull as much as 800watts from the wall depending on F@H work units.
Since I F@H 24/7, I chose a 1200w to feed them. I might have been able to run a 1000w, but constant running, I decided for some added safety net.

I think it's safe to say nVidia will recommend a beefy PSU.

I posted a few times about this idea, if some of the rumours are true and fermi needs to be run with a high vcore to keep it stable then beating the 5970 may not be possible because of the 300W limit per card.

Nvidia are going to have to break the 300W limit I think, its the only way they'll regain the single card performance crown.

I'm running a mildly OC'd 920 and 3 285s and pull as much as 800watts from the wall depending on F@H work units.
Since I F@H 24/7, I chose a 1200w to feed them. I might have been able to run a 1000w, but constant running, I decided for some added safety net.

I think it's safe to say nVidia will recommend a beefy PSU.

That must be a nice electricity bill you have.

I doubt there could be a gtx 495 as the power requierments would not be pci x16 compliant.

This. Even if they based it on a cut down 470 its still wouldn't fit under 300W. They're going to have to shrink down to 32nm to make it. Considering we're hearing full, market-saturating deployment only by fall, I doubt Nvidia is too concerned about rolling out a dual-gpu part. They could surprise us and just give a big thumbs up to the PCI-E spec people and release an unsanctioned card. Jen-Hsung's roided out thumb is big enough to squash any puny specification setting group.

P.S I love that VR-Zone title "Dual Fermi Coming Out Later?"

Gee, that's news because I thought it was obviously going to hit first.

personally Nvidia prolly does not care about the PCI specs for power as they will put the card out if they wanted to.

I doubt nVidia stopped working on the post-Fermi generation(s) of cards just because of the delay. We could be looking at a short generation, perhaps? Edit: Maybe I should read your entire post before replying :eek:

Well considering the direction for Fermi was originally different they MAY have directed all future projects in the same direction, but seeing how long they've respun the Fermi chip I wouldn't doubt all future projects are now in the GPU market.

Either way get the damn chip out so we can say how much we AREN'T looking forward to the dual chip...

Here's a kicker, what if the 480 is BETTER than the 5970?

psh, hahaha. j/k

I'm not surprised that they haven't done nothing to answer up to ATI, but when they do, it just means cheaper cards for all.

lol how can there be an answer for the 5970 when there isn't one for the 5850 let alone the 5870 :p

I'm not a fanboy of either amd or nvidia....I'll buy either one. But I'll say this. I don't know how AMD has gotten away with claiming this performance crown for so long when they don't even have any cards to buy at MSRP. By the time I can finally buy one for a decent price, Fermi will probably be here.

Anyways, my point is that the 5970 has been overpriced and underavialble for way too long, and nobody seems to care. All they want to do is bash nvidia. How bout we get that $600 dual gpu vid card we were promised 3 months ago?

I'm not a fanboy of either amd or nvidia....I'll buy either one. But I'll say this. I don't know how AMD has gotten away with claiming this performance crown for so long when they don't even have any cards to buy at MSRP. By the time I can finally buy one for a decent price, Fermi will probably be here.

Anyways, my point is that the 5970 has been overpriced and underavialble for way too long, and nobody seems to care. All they want to do is bash nvidia. How bout we get that $600 dual gpu vid card we were promised 3 months ago?

+ This.

My GTX 295 is still running very strong, so I am in no hurry to upgrade. But this constant level of over MSRP for the 5970 (and for a awhile the 58700) has been ridiculous. Of course, Nvidia can be blamed for a lot of it, since without competition prices will stagnate. Just look at the i7 920. Prices haven't changed for well over a year. Do we blame Intel? Not really...AMD has no true answer for that powerhouse of a platform. I'm sure there are other factors, but that's the way I see it.

Nail hit directly on the head.
I haven't seen a 5970 available since before Christmas. It's fast becoming vaporware.

I have also about had it with all the speculation about the 480, etc.

ATI seems to be really working hard on doing everything they can to make their GPUs the best around. I mean they finally improved their driver releases, separated the profiles,actually have some pretty bad-ass cards that you can buy (excepting the 5970) and I am just loving EyeFinity......would I like to have dual 5970s? Sure. But someone has to make them first.

480.....who cares.

^^^I think that has to be the most frustrating thing about this. I've got money in my pocket to spend. I can't wait to pony up $600 for a 5970. I'd do it today if I could. But I can't. I could go to ZZF and buy one for $800 but I won't. So how is anyone a winner in this?

lol everybody is talking like us = world there are plenty places to buy 5970 at msrp outside US and i bet there are some other places except newegg and other popular online shops where you can do same thing may be search a lil bit ? and why do you think atis biggest gain is 5970 if it was so you would see 5970s everywhere but instead you see 5770s cause thats where money is not at ultra high segment who cares if nvidia beats 5970 if they can't produce card in mid segment where all money is

MSRP is set by ATI. Blame stores like Newegg for jacking up the price due to no competition.

Newegg also did this with Intel SSDs if anyone remembers...

MSRP is set by ATI. Blame stores like Newegg for jacking up the price due to no competition.

Well, the 5970 is currently out of sock at Newegg and about everywhere else. This means that some peoples are ready to pay over MRSP to get their 5970. From a business perspective, it would be unwise for Newegg to sell at a lesser price.

Low availability + high demand = price jacking.
Fix the low availability issue (hello AMD?) and the problem will be solved.

Newegg also did this with Intel SSDs if anyone remembers...

The market price is set by that...the market. If demand is so high as to outstrip supply (so easily done with the 5970) they can charge a premium and people will STILL buy it. I'll blame the supply issue over the price set by the market. The 5970 is hard to find in stock anywhere, and when it is, the stock only lasts about an hour.

I'll wait until later on this year when stock isn't an issue then reassess my upgrade options. Right now just isn't a good time to be purchasing any high-end card.

lol everybody is talking like us = world there are plenty places to buy 5970 at msrp outside US and i bet there are some other places except newegg and other popular online shops where you can do same thing may be search a lil bit ? and why do you think atis biggest gain is 5970 if it was so you would see 5970s everywhere but instead you see 5770s cause thats where money is not at ultra high segment who cares if nvidia beats 5970 if they can't produce card in mid segment where all money is

You'd lose that bet. You can't even find them "NOT IN STOCK" at MSRP.

LINK
LINK
LINK

LINK

LINK
LINK

LINK

LINK
LINK

LINK

LINK

Oh yeah...it's easy to find...just search! :rolleyes: