No, AMD Loyalists Aren't Abandoning Radeon Graphics Cards

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a rebuke to another article claiming that loyalty to AMD’s GPU product among AMD CPU buyers is decreasing, this author suggests that everyone is merely waiting for Ryzen and Vega products.

A recent post by Parsec, a cloud game streaming company, titled “The Loyalty To AMD’s GPU Product Among AMD CPU Buyers Is Decreasing.” Parsec pulls an abundance of data from PCPartPicker builds to show that AMD CPU sales have declined precipitously over the past six months, and the number of AMD CPU buyers who also bought Radeon graphics cards dropped as well. Go ahead and read Parsec’s post if you want to see the raw numbers. But you don’t really need to, because while the raw numbers may suggest AMD loyalty is on the decline, crucial context that’s lacking whatsoever from Parsec’s article reveals that the supposed truth isn’t quite so crystal clear.

So is this how they hope to get the hype train going?

Ex amd fan here... jumped ship after dealing with shitty Xfire 290s for years.... picked up some nvidia stock in the 60s, and have been riding the glorious team green train for most of the year a super happy camper. Single 1070 does everything but make me dinner and give me ding-a-ling tug tug. The latter might be fixed some some VR action.

Wasn't the problem that people who buy an AMD CPU are selecting AMD-based graphics cards at a lower rate? The figure from the other article mentioned it dropped down to ~50%. What this author suggests is that AMD buyers don't care for AMD's current CPU or GPU offerings (a huge problem in itself if true), which is something that doesn't seem to apply to Intel and Nvidia product buyers who are also looking forward to new products. Denial is more like it.

The article linked in this thread is very much a straw man.

0sILpd3.jpg

I bought an nVidia card a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose I'm not much of a loyalist to anything though. Make me a better mousetrap at a reasonable price and I'll buy it.

As a great sage man once said "More power more better."

To stay more in line with the article another question might be how the hell does AMD expect to rectify the dissonance in their own product lines? They are still attempting to produce top tier desktop graphics cards with high performance and high power consumption. That's fine.

The train wreck happens when you look at the CPU/Mobo options from AMD you are supposedly going to pair that with. They don't make anything worth a flying fart unless you want a fully integrated low-power A series APU system. Which is exactly the type of thing you would NOT put a high performance graphics card on.

When Intel's i5-6600K can at worst hold with AMD's 8 core CPUs, and in more games than not crush the AMDs on minimum frame rates what does that mean? It means that AMD CPU buyers are getting A series integrated graphics for basic systems and media playback boxes. GAMERS, even if they still like the AMD GPU, are going to get an Intel platform and put the Radeon card on it.

AMD doesn't MAKE a CPU that you'd want to put a good video card on.

I've only ever bought AMD/ATi (yeah I use ATi, what can I say I'm from Ont).

I finally got tired of waiting last year...

amd gpu's, and xeon cpu's. For the last few gens their have been no deals like a used xeon es cpu shipped from somewhere across the ocean and some xeons still have a respectible single core. Now for gpu's i have owned and own MANY cards ranging from a 750 ti to a 980 ti on the nvidia side and a 7860 to a furx x on the amd side and in all honesty i highly prefore amd to nvidia. Amd is just less sleezy when it comes to some things. nvidia is the cause of many compatibility issues if a amd card is present and amd is "nice" enough to allow many cards to be flashed to a higher or workstation grade card. Now with that said i will still buy the best card i can for the money. If amd comes out with anything decent it will sell because.... mining :p it is profitable atm and nvidia is still terrible at it leaving thousands of sales for the 12 tf 490 assuming it can mine.

I bought an nVidia card a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose I'm not much of a loyalist to anything though. Make me a better mousetrap at a reasonable price and I'll buy it.

As a great sage man once said "More power more better."

This. True tech enthusiasts don't have "brand loyalty" and will buy the best tech from whoever is making it. I've bought AMD, Intel, ATI and Nvidia over the years and am no fanboi of anyone.
I would love to see AMD/ATI become competitive with Intel and Nvidia on the high end, because that benefits [H] users like us.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a high end gaming laptop and AMD/ATI never even crossed my mind. That's just sad.

Seems like AMD fanboys just keep saying that the next iteration will be THE ONE. It's been going on for quite a long time now. Competition is very important though, as evidenced by this year's holiday sales that there was not a single gtx1080 deals, so I hope AMD fanboys continue to give their undying support and AMD hits a ball out of the ballpark once in a while..

Last edited:
I cannot bring myself to switch from AMD to Nvidia. I doubt I ever will. After my Athlon x2 6000+ I switched to Intel CPUs but Ive stuck with AMD graphics. 5850 and an R9 290 after that rig and I dont regret it.

My last AMD processor that I used was an Opteron 165 back in 2005. It was a dual core socket 939 that I was able to overclock 50% on air. My next processors were all Intel due to being in the Intel Retail Edge program up until 4.5 years ago (I got a real job that paid real money). Since then, they have all been Intel due to no competition from AMD. I have owned both AMD and Nvidia cards over the years but the only AMD card I have had since the 9800 Pro (AGP 8x card) was the 6950 that just got replaced in February this year with a 970. I would love to be able to put AMD products in my next build but if I can get something more powerful for a reasonable price, I will. Loosing AMD from the market would suck for everyone but Intel as prices would rise and improvements would be smaller and/or less frequent.

It always feels like dollar for dollar Nvidia and Intel products are better optimized and give you more. I abandoned AMD CPUs when the Intell e-series came out like E6600s came out. AMD seems like they're always behind. When I bought my GTX980 I'm not sure AMD even had a comparable product at the time. I like the 280xs. That was the last time I think AMD really kicked Nvidias ass.

Maybe its time AMD accepted their role as budget products and attacked the market there entirely.

Buy based on the best products available period. AMD has a long history of playing catch up, only to pushed back at every turn. Competition makes the market better but after 20 years of AMD playing this game Intel is the clear winner. nVidia's architecture is an undeniable monster. AMD cannot compete and this is sad. AMD has always been a budget product underdog wanting to be more than what it is.

For me, AMD usually settles right in that price/performance range I'm looking at. I decide on an amount, see what both offer at that point, and then choose. And usually it's AMD. When I look at the next jump up in performance it's nvidia and it jumps too much.

I'm not gonna worry about it for a while...

header.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-25_18-39-8.png
    upload_2016-12-25_18-39-8.png
    900.4 KB · Views: 44
Picked up a Power Color RX480 (4 GIG) during Amazon's Black Friday sale during Thanks Giving. $179 to my door. It replaced my well worn yet still useful R270. Amazing performance along with my FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz.

Go Red Team!

I have 2 x Sapphire Furies and an FX 8300 running at 4.5 Ghz and it works fine. I did have to upgrade my power supply this week though but, then again, I also got a really good deal on the power supply as well. I am personally looking forward to Zen and of course, folks are not going to purchase an FX processor with 990FX chipset unless they are on an extreme budget since Zen is coming.

So is this how they hope to get the hype train going?

Ex amd fan here... jumped ship after dealing with shitty Xfire 290s for years.... picked up some nvidia stock in the 60s, and have been riding the glorious team green train for most of the year a super happy camper. Single 1070 does everything but make me dinner and give me ding-a-ling tug tug. The latter might be fixed some some VR action.

Same here. Been an AMD fanboy since the early 2000's. Sold my 295X2 on ebay after seeing it perform worse than my friends 7970 in basically every game we played. It struggled to get above 30fps and had massive texture issues in games like The Division. I guess it got better as new drivers were released, but I don't want to have to wait several months for drivers so i can play new games. Replaced it with a Nvidia 980 ti and never looked back. I still bought an AMD CPU for my current gaming rig, but I'm not sure if i'm going to go AMD for my next one.

I loved ATI. I liked the older AMD CPU's. I'm running an AMD 7950 GPU currently. Works fine.

When I upgrade, it's going to be an NVIDIA GPU. I have zero brand loyalty. I'm going to buy the best I can for the money I have that will last me the longest before I have to do it again. So, welcome Intel and NVIDIA.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a high end gaming laptop and AMD/ATI never even crossed my mind. That's just sad.

Sadly, "AMD" appearing in the specs list of a laptop is more of a warning label than anything else these days.

Sadly, "AMD" appearing in the specs list of a laptop is more of a warning label than anything else these days.

That is only on AMD because they do not force the OEM's to use the hardware properly. Low spec ram, single channel setup and probably other such stuff really hurts them. Of course, I have not bought a laptop in 5 years and probably will never again. (Surface Pro 3 here.)

Still rocking X58 Xeon, went from a pair of 280s to a single Fury. Runs everything I play at max at 60+, no need to upgrade yet, and when I finally do it will be to move up in resolution, and right now there isn't really any affordable cards that do a perfect 1440p imo (ultra settings at at least 100hz)

I used AMD cpu's in the K6, K6-2, K6-III, Athlon.... all the way to the socket 939 opteron. I used Nvidia from Geforce 1 through 570's. I have used AMD/ATI video from the 290 to the Fury. To my surprise, I created fanboys by building systems for other people. In those early years I had AMD and 3DFX and I built other people the same. Some of those same people come to me now and want nothing but AMD and are actually upset that I am not using a AMD cpu today. I paid 150 bucks for a W3690 I put in a older used Asus workstation x58 board and got 48gb of ram running with it. I upgrade so many people that I frequently piecemeal used parts together if I'm waiting to buy something new and specific. I admit to being excited that AMD may have a competitive chip again. When AMD is a threat Intel innovates. When AMD lingers Intel releases nearly nothing in the upgrade department. Just look at skylake to kabylake.. omg pathetic. I still think that HBM style memory technology is the future. I was surprised when the 1080 didn't have it. The twin fury setup I have still plays everything I want just fine, so I have no need to run out and buy anything atm. However I wouldn't mind upgrading to the new AMD cpu if it actually delivers a good price to performance ratio. I am excited to see what AMD does with the 2nd generation of HBM memory on their video cards. I didn't consider buying the 480 for a single second. Why downgrade from the fury? I looked into the 1080 series and don't see enough of a upgrade in performance to warrant the the prices at this point. However If I was still running my old 570's I would be seriously looking at the 1080 series today. It performs amazingly well for its pricepoint. But I would also look into the deals on AMD video cards as well. If you can get 150 bucks off and only loose 10% performance... sometimes that's just the better price to performance ratio. I may be running all AMD next year. That would be the 1st time that has happened in my entire life. Or AMD may surprise us and overprice it and Intel may drop prices and undercut. I'm just never hellbent either way. I suspect a lot of us don't really care which brand it is as long as it performs very well for what be paid for it.

I'm done supporting AMD. Their marketing department has too many lying trolls. When AMD shows they can be honest about themselves, I'll change my mind as I believe in supporting a competitive business model. But for now I can't trust them. I can't believe them. I can't buy them. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved ATI. I liked the older AMD CPU's. I'm running an AMD 7950 GPU currently. Works fine.

When I upgrade, it's going to be an NVIDIA GPU. I have zero brand loyalty. I'm going to buy the best I can for the money I have that will last me the longest before I have to do it again. So, welcome Intel and NVIDIA.

That's what I did months ago when the 1070 pascal hit. I had a powerful setup (Xfire 290s) too bad even after 2+ years they couldn't get their drivers in order. The things they would fix... would be broken again in the next patch. I realize SLI/Xfire comes with it's own quirks, but I got tired of the basic ass problems they would fix then break again.

Since going to a 1070 with Gsync, I've never had a smoother gaming experience. So much so that even if AMD hit a home run and priced it cheaper... I really wouldn't be that interested, I'm perfectly happy paying a little bit more and knowing exactly what I'll be getting.

I'm also waiting for Vega. Not that I have money in hand to buy it, but I can't exactly do much else than wait.

This is semi-true for me....I'm waiting on my "big build" for Ryzen and Vega to drop. I've got a RX480 paired to a i5 Haswell and that works just fine for my day to day gaming needs for the moment. The RX480 is a good card for the price...I have a 1060 in my laptop and I'd say the two are fairly comparable in everything I run on them and benchmarks seem to back that up. Nothing really of value from AMD for CPUs except the low-end where they still compete quite well for a budget build. So, with that in mind, I've put off replacing the Haswell til I see what AMD does. I'm an AMD fanboy (and small shareholder) but also a realist, people aren't going to just buy inferior products for the sake of it. If they can reclaim any lost glory, though, look out...I think there are a lot of us who remember the "Good old days" and are itching to get the Intel crap out of our machines :)

Back