no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

SpoogeMonkey

2[H]4U
I'm trying to install ktorrent, and after running ./configure, I get the error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH. I've put the folder in root, /bin, /usr.....all to no luck. I'm using linspire 5.0 if that gives any needed info.

You might not have gcc installed; I'd suggest you see if you can find a package for it and install that, first.

Yeh I've got the same problem with Linspire. It doesn't come with the GCC Compiler. I need it to compile the ALSA drivers for my AV-710. You can get it through the CNR service, but I haven't signed up for the membership as you have to pay and I'm not quite sold on Linspire just yet. If you're trying to get a torrent program, Linspire comes with one IIRC. Under the Internet menu theres one called LTorrent. I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're trying to get to work as i'm a complete Linux noob as Linspire is my first time using Linux :)

Yeah, I tried ltorrent, but no matter what torrent link I put in, it does nothing. I really like Azureus torrent, but when I try that, it can't find jre 1.5 that I installed for Firefox.

I'm also having issues with no kernel source installed, when trying to install nvidia nf2 drivers so I can have sound while playing ut2004.

I'll try the suse 10 rc1 distro w/yast this week. At least yast is free :D

Shadow27 said:
Yeh I've got the same problem with Linspire. It doesn't come with the GCC Compiler. I need it to compile the ALSA drivers for my AV-710. You can get it through the CNR service, but I haven't signed up for the membership as you have to pay and I'm not quite sold on Linspire just yet. If you're trying to get a torrent program, Linspire comes with one IIRC. Under the Internet menu theres one called LTorrent. I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're trying to get to work as i'm a complete Linux noob as Linspire is my first time using Linux :)

This is why I keep telling people to pick a real distro.

If you'd installed any other distro, GCC would already be installed or it would be a quick step to install via your pacakge management util - Ubuntu/Debian (or a Fedora system configured to use APT) would just take an "apt-get install gcc" to download and install the package (in fact, there's probably an ALSA package to install the same way).

ameoba said:

If you'd installed any other distro, GCC would already be installed or it would be a quick step to install via your pacakge management util - Ubuntu/Debian (or a Fedora system configured to use APT) would just take an "apt-get install gcc" to download and install the package (in fact, there's probably an ALSA package to install the same way).

C'mon man, he probably got it when it was a free download. Cut some slack. He sounds like he jumped in with both feet first without looking over the edge. I respect that.

I agree with the gist of your statement (picking a real distro) but mebbie a smiley would change the tone a tad to show SpoogeMonkey why its important to look before he leaps.

Not a flame, JMHO, really. We're in the same boat man, trust me
:D

I bought one of those Linspire/Lindows PCs from Walmart a few years back and ran into the same issue "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH". A quick look around determined that no, gcc really wasn't installed, and to get it, I'd have to pay money. Needless to say, that machine got reformatted and a different UNIX-based OS installed on it quick, fast, and in a hurry (OpenBSD in that particular incident).

There isn't much you can do for your machine the way it is now - just do some research on Linux/BSD distributions, find one you like or think you'll be comfortable with (or go download a half a dozen CDs and try them all), and jump right in.

ameoba said:

Precisely.

Linspire is for beginners and OEMs. (Not to be rude, but the lack of GCC and any devel packages is a deal breaker for me.)

Back