No 6 Pin Adapter w/ x190xt?!

ECM

Limp Gawd
Talk about cheaping out--all the NV cards I've bought since PCI-E debuted come with a 6 pin adapter for powering the card, but not so with the ATI-branded x1900xt. Thanks ATI! Good to find this out at 10 o'clock at night :mad:

And? What is such a big deal about it to you? x1900xt outperforms all NV cards with 6 pin conenctors, I do not seea big deal about it.

Russian said:
And? What is such a big deal about it to you? x1900xt outperforms all NV cards with 6 pin conenctors, I do not seea big deal about it.

he means the molex to 6-pin pci-e adapter....

And i didnt know the integrity of the company/manufacturer depended on whether or not they included a power adapter, i must be old fashioned.

ECM said:
Talk about cheaping out--all the NV cards I've bought since PCI-E debuted come with a 6 pin adapter for powering the card, but not so with the ATI-branded x1900xt. Thanks ATI! Good to find this out at 10 o'clock at night :mad:

your kidding right?

Who the F cares? power is power.. it dosnt make a diffrence.... :rolleyes:

So are you getting a power related error when you start up your computer? Or is the card working without it?

He means that he didnt get teh 6 pin to 4 pins Molex adaptor for his card (6 pin=to teh card 4 pin=to one of teh PSU molex connecters), so his blaming ATi for it because you were ment to get one, also he found all this out at 10 o clock at night I beleave which he is p*ss off about because he cant ran his card without it.

I think that's right, sorry if I am wrong.

It is pretty cheap.
ATi should have included it (Mine didn't come with one either)..

I really wish when ppl jump on some cause they can't Read and Comprehend, Douglite or another mod would hand out a 3 day ban for acting like 15 year old with hormones shooting out his mouth.

Read it once, new exactly he was pissed over not getting the adapter for 6 pins on the card. And yes, thats fricken cheap of ATI, and I would email them about it. Maybe they will send you a freebee and fix this in future boxes? Worth a shot. Get enough complaints and they will include an adapter. :shrug:

Contacting the manufacturer of your card is probably a good idea. They typically do stuff like send out power adapters to build rapport with customers.

Also, others are right htat they won't know it's a problem unless someone complains about it.

I would much rather have a Molex to PCI-e adapter handed out than a vacation ;)

Thats pretty retarted. For many users, they arent even including the bare minimum for the card to funtion properly. Every PCI-E card I have ever purchased came with one.

Sorry to here you didn't get one. I'd be mad as hell if I had a new video card just lying around because I didn't have the power adapter to use it.

Borgschulze said:
If you have PCI-E you should have a power supply with a 6-Pin PCI-E connector.

Why? There are pleanty of power supplies without a PCI-E connector that are fully capable of powering any of todays high end cards. It's also very likley that when he made the jump to PCI-E... a new mobo, video card, and possibly CPU was all he could afford. If he current PSU is decent, why get a new one?

Borgschulze said:
If you have PCI-E you should have a power supply with a 6-Pin PCI-E connector.

Your kidding me right?

Thats like saying that if you have a case that holds 6 hard drives you should have 6 molex connectors and 6 sata ports ready just incase. :rolleyes:

SnowBeast said:
I really wish when ppl jump on some cause they can't Read and Comprehend, Douglite or another mod would hand out a 3 day ban for acting like 15 year old with hormones shooting out his mouth.

Don't hold back now. :D

Instead I found it rather amusing. Not as amusing as your comments though. :)

Sorry for the owner. Mine doesn't get here until Monday. =/

what's funny is so far the ONLY 1900xtx I've seen that comes with the adapter is the least expensive Powercolor.

LOL...that is funny.

I am seriously rethinking ATi's busniness model after my X1900XTX. They are pretty much skimping on everything from proper drivers to PCIE-12v adapter cables to high def software to DVD software.

I mean come on, you pay damn near $700 US for a top of the line video card...you shouldn't expect that in order to use one of it's main selling-bragging points, high def decoding, you would have to pay $14 to download the high def driver...or even more for the DVD player software and such...I think they could absorb the losses in order to keep the high paying customers happy.

And they can't understand why nVidia is making more money than ATi.

the gamer said:
He means that he didnt get teh 6 pin to 4 pins Molex adaptor for his card (6 pin=to teh card 4 pin=to one of teh PSU molex connecters), so his blaming ATi for it because you were ment to get one, also he found all this out at 10 o clock at night I beleave which he is p*ss off about because he cant ran his card without it.

Oh, my bad then, I thought he meant that the card did not have those. That sucks then :(.

BBA said:
LOL...that is funny.

I am seriously rethinking ATi's busniness model after my X1900XTX. They are pretty much skimping on everything from proper drivers to PCIE-12v adapter cables to high def software to DVD software.

I mean come on, you pay damn near $700 US for a top of the line video card...you shouldn't expect that in order to use one of it's main selling-bragging points, high def decoding, you would have to pay $14 to download the high def driver...or even more for the DVD player software and such...I think they could absorb the losses in order to keep the high paying customers happy.

And they can't understand why nVidia is making more money than ATi.
Umm these new cards need clean power, and thus ati wants its users to use the 6 pin rather than the 4 pin molexes.

If he has PCI-E he should also have a 24-Pin power supply for the board, that's why he should have PCI-E power connectors.

I guess they assume that someone buying a $600 video card would have a recent PSU to match. There was no adapter in my $649 x1900xtx retail boxed ATI branded card.

not in a sn25p which is what my BRAND NEW SAPPHIRE 1900XTX is going in. of course they supply a power cord thanks.

That is odd... a company like Shuttle should have PCI-E cables... it just doesn't seem right without them.

Well I'd suggest having a good power supply for using a card like that anyways but my Connect 3d Also came with no pci-e adapter but my sapphire X1800XT did come with one =p

Borgschulze said:
If he has PCI-E he should also have a 24-Pin power supply for the board, that's why he should have PCI-E power connectors.

Not only is a 24-pin PSU always necessary, there are lots of 24-pin PSU's with no PCI-E connector that are more than enough to power this card. Either way its regardless since we now know its a shuttle :p

Since when is a 24 pin CPU necessary?

If you haven't noticed, every motherboard that comes with a 24 pin connector has a piece of tape over 4 of the pins in case you have only a 20 pin power connector on the power supply.

There are many good 500W + PSU's that don't have 24 pin connectors or PCI-E 6 pin connectors.

ATi was being cheap. There is no doubt about that.

I'm just glad ATi's engineering team is better than their packaging team and marketing team.

yeahhh , ati is lame , their warranty sucks,
the cards dont come with any good software or games ,

and now they dont even include the power adapters

they should stick to making gpus and let other companies make and sale the videocards

There are plenty of "400W" or even higher power supplies out there that aren't capable of powering an X1900XT properly, and most of them are older ATX 12V 1.3 units that only have a single 12V rail. ATI may be making a statement about not wanting to support such systems.

If ATI states that their board requires PCI-E ready ATX 12V 2.0 PSU, then they shouldn't include the adapter. http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1900/specs.html
* Connection to the system power supply is required:
o 450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended (assumes fully loaded system)
o PCI Express compliant power supply (recommended). Connect directly to the power supply with a 6 pin PCI Express power connector
* For CrossFire™: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail

A good psu will give you clean power; not the size/shape of plug you use with it. I have a Superflower psu with 30A 12V, and 24 pin mobo connector, but only standard molex plugs. (Opty 170 under load, 6800GT oc'd, and 12V rail sits at 11.97V). I don't think I would need to upgrade my psu for this card.

All OEM and retail packages should come with the PCI-E connector. It's an essential thing, just like DVI to VGA converters. Do most people use them now? No, but everything you need should be tossed in the box.

We'll see if HiS includes one with my retail XTX. I'll let you guys know Monday.

the gamer said:

Yep, that's what I meant--sorry for the confusion...was kinda p*ssed off ;)

And I had to order one online because NO store in the LA-area stocks the damn things!! :mad:

As for the PSU not being able to supply the card, that doens't hold water: I've had 7800 GTXs running rock-stable on a 350 watt Shuttle PSU. The fact is, ATI wanted to save some change and did so in a shoddy way. If they want to cut corners, how about subbing out the freaking s-video cable (like we all don't have a thousand of those) for the bloody adapter?!

Both my Sapphire X1900's included the power adapter.

You should be able to go to any local computer store and pick an adapter up for pretty cheap.

arentol said:

You should be able to go to any local computer store and pick an adapter up for pretty cheap.

It's not the price of it that matters, it's the fact that if you need it, it should come in the box. I've boughten cheap $40 video cards that still had the DVI to VGA cable and the s video cable. If I get that in a cheap video card yet I dont get a necesary item to power my $700 video card then there is an issue here.

ManicOne said:
A good psu will give you clean power; not the size/shape of plug you use with it. I have a Superflower psu with 30A 12V, and 24 pin mobo connector, but only standard molex plugs. (Opty 170 under load, 6800GT oc'd, and 12V rail sits at 11.97V). I don't think I would need to upgrade my psu for this card.
However, as the linked document states, ATI's official position on this is that they would prefer their customers have a fully PCI-E compliant PSU before jumping on an X1900XT.

We're [H]ard. We know to check the PSU forum and read up on the requirements for what we're going to run. We know that not just any PSU, regardless of what wattage it may say on it, is capable of powering an X1900XT in a fully loaded enthusiast system. However, most people aren't [H]ard. Shipping the adapter with the card isn't going to magically make a 480W TT PSU with only 18A on +12 able to power an X1900XT...its going to make a system thats going to generate unnecessary support calls and quite possibly an RMA that really isn't ATIs fault.

Personally, I agree with ATI's decision to not ship the adapter in light of the fact that they state that a six pin PSU connector is recommended.

arentol said:

I would have been glad to, but I went to 2 CompUSA's and 2 Fry's (and 1 Staples out of desperation) over the weekend--none of them stock it (but CompUSA could "special order" it).

DougLite said:
Shipping the adapter with the card isn't going to magically make a 480W TT PSU with only 18A on +12 able to power an X1900XT...its going to make a system thats going to generate unnecessary support calls and quite possibly an RMA that really isn't ATIs fault.

Personally, I agree with ATI's decision to not ship the adapter in light of the fact that they state that a six pin PSU connector is recommended.

my enermax 600w has only 18w on the 12v rail , it supports OC cpu and x1900xt flashed to xtx oc to 690/800 without a problem ,

my antec truepower 430w (which i had to replace)has 26w on the 12v rail , i dont see it having any problems of supporting the x1900 cards ,

the 6pin power adapter should be there , no ifs or buts about it

I bought the Connect3D X1900XTX and X1900 Crossfire cards. The Crossfire card had the 6 pin power adaptor cable supplied, but the XTX box didn't. Crap and inconsistent. I would be pissed if I needed it and it wasn't there after spending so much. The whole Connect3D package is pretty poor, manual sucks (doesn't even show how to connect Crossfire) but 'almost' all the cables were there. The Sapphire X1800XT I had had a much more professional packaging, free games, manual etc.

I knew that I needed a psu that could cope with the load and connectivity of two power hungry beasts and planned ahead. Not everyone with money to spend on these kind of cards researches them and/or understands power demand. If it weren't for sites like [H]ardOCP and the such, we all would have a hard time.

If you have a psu with less that 20-25A on a single or combined +12V rail, your going to run into problems with X1900 Crossfire. I had my Tagan 580W psu configured wrongly and when the load exceeded the max for that split rail (20A), the whole computer just switched off! Kinda scarey thinking I just fried £2K worth of hardware. The full story and a solution can be found here.

Noisetaker 600W? That's got two 18A +12 rails, one for the CPU & Mobo, another for everything else. As for the True 430, it's a pretty capable unit with 26A on +12 as you point out...but once again, not everyone out there is as cogniscient as you are about what makes a good PSU. I have a TT 480W in my closet that delivers at best about half the +12 current of that True430 under real operating conditions...despite its higher wattage rating.

Back