No 5 volt rail? DANGER or ITS OK?

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
Oops, i posted this in the wrong forum. We'll try again here :)
I have a 650w silverstone powersupply. I'm building a dualcore amd 64, pci-e system, all high end components.

I put all the hardware together, powered up, installed windows, instability ensued, crashing once twice and third time was a charm. Now the system will not post.

I tested the silverstone psu, evidently it's lacking a 5volt rail. The guy i talked to said he's seen systems boot without a 5volt, and some wouldn't even post without it.

Not sure if anyone has seen my posts about my new system problems, but would a psu lacking a 5volt rail be dangerous to my $1000 worth of components? I was going to RA the motherboard but i think i'll do just the powersupply.

Could they atleast test this powersupply? $150+ i'd atleast expect something that, you know...works

Never seen a COMPUTER PSU with no 5v rail...

I'm pretty sure all ATX power connectors have the 5v rail running to the mainboard from the main power connection.

Take a picture or write out what the sticker on the side says with all the voltage and amperes.

After attempting to get my system running with this psu, and so many failed attempts to post...

I took it to a local shop, the guy tested it with an led meter. The 5v wasn't present. Is that a reason for RA?

i think he is talking about the negative 5 volt rail (-5V)

EDIT: oh nm im sure u need the +5V rail to run a computer as thats where the athlons i believe get the VC and ICs use 5 volts... im assuming once the 5 volt rail died thats why u can't post anymore.

tigerdirect calls it RA :p It's easier to say outloud than 'r-m-a' durrrr. Makes more sence. Return authorization. return materials authorization. You don't sound like such an idiot saying 'ra'

anyhow, i'll send this thing off and see if the new one will get the the board to post. I had it running for about 20minutes. Boy those opteron 175's are quick. I was very surprised. Upgrading from an athlon 1.4 to that. Good god big difference :)

Modern motherboards do not require the 5V supply to work (unless you mean the DFI NF4 or Crossfire boards, and that's just for specific RAM conditions). However, the hard drives and opticals do require it. That is presuming you mean the +5V line; the -5V line was phased out in ATX12V v2.x

Edit:
The ST65ZF is supposed to have a +5V line- if yours doesn't, get it exchanged.

RegisteredToPost said:
tigerdirect calls it RA :p It's easier to say outloud than 'r-m-a' durrrr. Makes more sence. Return authorization. return materials authorization. You don't sound like such an idiot saying 'ra'

The [H]ard|Forum Rules:

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

;)

Back