Nissin Introduces Noise-Canceling Ramen Fork

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Instant ramen titan Nissin is releasing a limited-edition fork that can detect the sound of noodle slurping and trigger a nearby smartphone to play a recording to mask the food noises. This little device costs around $130, and the Cup Noodle maker is only manufacturing 5,000 of them.

The way it works is simple; the makers, instant ramen giant Nissin, have painstakingly data-mined countless samples of slurping noises and loaded it into Otohiko. If the user begins to slurp, its high-performance microphones can detect it and using near-field communication prompts their smartphone to play a cunningly deceptive “WOOOOOSH!” sound. Sound effects are also adjustable, including a xylophone!

Anyone else found it weird how they're all sharing one fork?

Also, when in Rome......do as as the Romans do.

Man this would be great for when someone slobs on my knob in public.

I thought the point of slurping loudly was to show respect in Japan. Of course I read that on the internet and haven't had ramen yet so I could be totally wrong.

I thought the point of slurping loudly was to show respect in Japan. Of course I read that on the internet and haven't had ramen yet so I could be totally wrong.

You're right. Its the foreigners who have a problem with it.

I was expecting some dectructive wave production canceling the slurping wave.... Not an even MORE ANNOYING phone sound

How about ignore the slurping sound, if another person is eating it, or you stop eating Ramen if you can't eat without slurping. $130 for some silly fork, we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Get back to me when they make a device that effectively cancels the cancer that is loud obnoxious bass and other "music".

My wife is Korean and in Korea it's perfectly fine to slurp and burb. Means it's yummy.

Get back to me when they make a device that effectively cancels the cancer that is loud obnoxious bass and other "music".

Get back to me when they make a device that effectively cancels the cancer - just leave the rest off, they couldn't focus on curing a disease or something? seriously.

Still doesn't look like enough to prevent my urge to punch people who slurp & eat noisily. Can't stand that.

3cd8a33a.png

Seems the Radiation is still taking its toll.

Man some people are way too serious :) They're doing it as a limited run and it's obviously just for a laugh/tongue firmly in cheek.

Back