Nissan's Following Tesla Into Solar Power and Home Batteries

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Montu, May 17, 2018.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Nissan is kicking off their push into home solar power and storage in the United Kingdom. They will put in a set of six solar panels for $5,200 or you can have them throw in the storage battery to make the total $10,300. If you elect to get a power pack with batteries retired from electric vehicles you can save a couple of bucks that way. This isn't offered in the U.S. yet, but never say never. As more auto builders branch out into electric vehicles it wouldn't surprise me if they offered panels and batteries for the home as well.

This kind of local storage takes some of the pressure off over-taxed electricity grids. It also pairs well with the time of use tariffs providers in the US and UK are starting to introduce, where rates vary with demand—climbing at peak time, but lowering overnight. Instead of paying more at peak times, just draw power from the battery your solar panels spent the day filling up. And when prices drop overnight, tap into the grid to charge up your EV.

2. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

And nissans battery gigafactory is in...? This is why tesla shorters are wrong. They do have some deals and they are smartly building a recycling plant... Nothing that would rank a tickle vs tesla.

3. travisty

travisty Gawd

Even if it is just a trickle it's a start. I would have actually kept my old Nissan Leaf and taken the battery out if i had the option - selling the rest for scrap. I already have the solar panels and a Model 3

It's good that other companies are following Tesla's substantial lead.

4. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

so when should we expect porsche to make home solar??

5. Lakados

Lakados Gawd

Probably soon, but if I were a betting man I would put money on them being re-branded Suntech Power panels.

6. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Its concerning that the cheaper option of older cells from a car can only perform lighter duties when they are only a few years old.
    How practical are these in the long run?
    Batteries die and are expensive to replace, we know this and it might make the storage part of this deal not worth much.
    But if the cells peak capacity reduces fast as well, this has a pretty limited life span and viability.

Kinestron likes this.
  7. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

So how long does it take your solar panels to charge your model 3 when you plug it in overnight? :rolleyes:

Sulphademus and The Mad Atheist like this.
  8. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

6 whole solar panels? So like 250-300 watt max per panel? I know they have that VAT thing over there but a deal this is not

9. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Limp Gawd

Where are you reading "a few" and "only"?

10. Jon855

Jon855 Sarcasm Eludes Me

Mind my asking but how much did all that cost you? And whether if you've come ahead with any savings over traditional power plant fuels.

11. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

The cars they come from havent been out long so the panels cant have much age.
    The article states the re-purposed panels "remain good enough for the more gentle demands ".

12. ecuador

ecuador Limp Gawd

This doesn't make sense. I have a vacation home in Greece with a 10kW solar roof, which was well worth it as it makes a nice 15MWh/year, so I'm all for solar... But I live in the UK currently and... well... you get almost no sun, sometimes for weeks at a time! From what I read this Nissan thing is a small 1.5kW system, what are they expecting it to do in the UK?

dangerouseddy likes this.
  13. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

I once read a local story that reprinted from APR but would take a little time to find. Essentially it explained how the grid in Hawaii couldn't handle all the power coming from the residents who installed panels and the power going back into it. Below is a quick find relating to that story and somehow seems relevant again. I'm for solar but our grids obviously can't handle them as is.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/1/9/hawaii-s-solar-boomistoomuchofagoodthing.html

edit: Pretty ironic considering all those who say the cost isn't effective to performance and then say it's better to rely on fossil or nuclear.

14. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

Nissan actually does have li-ion battery plants. Smyrna, Tennessee is one.
    Aside from this, they are partnered with LG Chem. Prior to this, Nissan created a joint venture called Automotive Energy Supply Corporation with NEC which is the no2 player worldwide behind Panasonic in the EV battery world, which they got out of.

15. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

Probably wouldn't notice as the car would be almost "full tank" every day in normal usage, just needs charged once a week for most people I imagine, so perhaps plugged while watching TV on a slow Sunday, a giant cellphone on wheels basically.

We're getting one soon, exciting times, our spreadsheet shows over a thousand bucks of operational savings per year minimum over the Jeep Wrangler it's replacing with our usage pattern.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  16. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

I am now the owner of a Nissan LEAF 2015. Frankly, since I only do about 20mi daily commute in Vancouver, the car is more than viable.
    I agree that it's not for everyone, but for those of us with a Level 2 charger and a rather short urban commute, even 90mi range is sufficient.

Wierdo likes this.
  17. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

From the article
    So yeah this is a shame on the power company thing for pushing home owners for installing solar the.saying whoops too much

18. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy Gawd

well I cant see that system being any use for a good part of the winter in sunny old uk.