Nissan to Introduce Steer-By-Wire Cars in 2013

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Nissan will introduce steer by wire technology on selected automobile models in 2013. The technology will replace the conventional steering systems requiring a physical contact between the steering wheel and the road surface with the same basic fly by wire systems interface used in commercial aircraft.

What happens if your electrical system fails at highway speeds?

I thought electric steering was the worst driving experience possible, apparently i was wrong.

If you idiots would read the article, it clearly says: "In addition to redundant electronic control units, a backup clutch system would connect the steering wheel to the tires mechanically if a power failure occurs. "

If you idiots would read the article, it clearly says: "In addition to redundant electronic control units, a backup clutch system would connect the steering wheel to the tires mechanically if a power failure occurs. "
Good thing a gross power failure is the only thing that can go wrong with electronics.

Hydraulic steering ftw electric ftl. I want feedback when I drive.
Hydraulics fail too. But those and electrical ones are actual 'assists' to an underlying mechanical linkage that works if either the hydraulic or electric assists fail. At highway speeds, the wheel is relatively easy to turn, you may almost not notice. At low speeds, it can be a workout.

This sounds like they want to eliminate the permanent mechanical linkage, though. Considering they have a mechanical backup anyway, I have to question why really.

I have an idea, lets add so much unnecessary technology to cars that nobody will be able to afford to purchase and maintain them except the upper and middle classes.

/As to the "why" they did it, I'd speculate they wanted to get rid of the parasitic HP loss associated with driving a pump at all times.

Actually the article (and video if you're too lazy to read) addresses all the concerns brought up here. There is some pretty neat tech coming our way, have a look.

I have an idea, lets add so much unnecessary technology to cars that nobody will be able to afford to purchase and maintain them except the upper and middle classes.

/As to the "why" they did it, I'd speculate they wanted to get rid of the parasitic HP loss associated with driving a pump at all times.

Actually no, I work for Nissan and we eliminated the parasitic loss a while ago. Most of our newer vehicles have an electric power steering pump, or electric power steering assist, as well as ECU controlled Alternators that only provide the power needed to top off the battery.

They've been doing this with cars for a while, and it sucks. Fly by wire is great when it works, but expensive when it doesn't.

Good thing a gross power failure is the only thing that can go wrong with electronics.
Cause there aren't a number of ways for this to happen. Can't wait for a solar flare to be responsible for me steering into a wall.

I just hope they do it right the first time; some of the early electronic throttle systems had some terrible response times.

Yuck, the steering feedback on electric power steering is already terrible. Adding in literally no connection to the tires and there will be literally no feedback at all.

Ooh, then your car is all like just driven by the cats that are hiding in the trunk.

I had this idea of "drive by SMS" where you'd text the car and it would turn or go and stuff. Maybe using a shorthand like A20L20 (accelarate 20% turn L 20 degrees, I have a whole system worked out like OMG for emergency brake) but apparently it wasn't feasible due to SMS costs. Then this idea of where you could sit in the seat and drive using a touchscreen apllication on your phone (it's the latest thing!) but it was "pointless and fucking stupid". I tried to point out how it was "pointless and fucking stupid" for lots of other things, and they did it there, but they didn't seem to get it.

The cat idea may work however...

What happens if your electrical system fails at highway speeds?
Oh that super eazy roll in a little ball and kiss your know what good bye hehe
How ever form look of it some thing tell that not going happing unless both motor fail at same time after all you need redundant backup .

I like how they said "in blind tests people say it's more realistic than normal steering" and "the system translates your intentions faster than a mechanical system?"

Yeah, sure. Maybe if you're a soccer mom too busy texting your pilates coach to come clean the pipes to ever develop an interest in what you've been doing for an hour or two every day for the last twenty years, but I actually know how to drive, thanks.

Hopefully the entire system/vehicle won't be running on Windows... (though I would beat all the Apple people to it LOL)

I hate how high tech cars are getting.

Give me a steering wheel directly that connects my hands to my wheels, and a transmission that directly connects my hand to the road.

I hate how high tech cars are getting.

Give me a steering wheel directly that connects my hands to my wheels, and a transmission that directly connects my hand to the road.

That would fucking hurt. The hand to the road bit. Thats gonna be some hellish road rash.

That being said, I agree with you. Cars feel disconnected enough already, we don't need them to become any more numb. Going from my 03 S2000 to my 07 Impreza was a huge difference. The feeling fo the direct linkage shifter on the S2000 was worlds better then the sloppy ass cable shifter in my Subi.

All this drive by wire shit needs to stop. Its why Toyotas like to go WOT when the pedal fails. What happens when the steering sensor fails? HARD TO PORT! HARD TO PORT!

All this drive by wire shit needs to stop. Its why Toyotas like to go WOT when the pedal fails. What happens when the steering sensor fails? HARD TO PORT! HARD TO PORT!

.... That statement alone proves how much you dont know about the WOT recall from Toyota. It was attributed to DRIVER ERROR stacking to many floor mats in the car and when they mashed the gas it would catch on the floor mat. In case you have failed to read the recall and wish to know the fix... remove pedal assembly, install in a jig, cut 3/4" off the bottom, sand the edges, reinstall.....

And when steering angle sensors fail, the system resorts to a default setting and the traction control is disabled to prevent the abs from incorrectly applying brake to a wheel.

A few years back the steering column separated in the 5 year old truck my dad was driving. He was lucky and only did a donuts in the grassy medium. FYI there is no redundancy to a steering column what happens when it fails???? There is a such thing as mechanical failure.

What happens if the electrical systems fail in a plane?

Multiple redundant systems and highly skilled mechanics verifying the system works daily.

Now it will be billy bob topping on your computer box every 2 years, telling you she's look good, and charging you $250.

The reason I suck at racing games is the exact same reason I could never drive a car with such a system. I demand positive bumpy force feedback from the real road. I actually enjoy gripping my wheel as I go over rough roads and that fine minute tweaks that make me proud that I can power a 2,000lb vehicle. When you loose traction or take a turn to fast and can feel the actual feedback from the road, you can regain control and use the worlds fastest and most accurate processor ever created, the human brain. If I want to feel like I'm in a video game I'll go get GT5 where crashing doesn't end with me dieing.

.... That statement alone proves how much you dont know about the WOT recall from Toyota. It was attributed to DRIVER ERROR stacking to many floor mats in the car and when they mashed the gas it would catch on the floor mat. In case you have failed to read the recall and wish to know the fix... remove pedal assembly, install in a jig, cut 3/4" off the bottom, sand the edges, reinstall.....

And when steering angle sensors fail, the system resorts to a default setting and the traction control is disabled to prevent the abs from incorrectly applying brake to a wheel.

Actually no, Its because the pedal has a friction plate to improve the feel of the pedal. This plate wears and then the friction material causes it to stick. Maybe YOU should read up on the recall. Have a nice day.

Most new cars are fly by wire steering,and have been for a year or so... ...I dont know why Nissan thinks this is breaking news...

This sounds like they want to eliminate the permanent mechanical linkage, though. Considering they have a mechanical backup anyway, I have to question why really.

This is the first step towards the car itself controlling the steering when needed....such as collision avoidance or automatic parking

Last edited:
Back