Nissan Builds Signal Blocker into Cars to Eliminate Phone Distractions

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wow, I have an idea: why not just exercise a little self-control? Nissan is putting a Faraday cage compartment inside of their Juke—one of the ugliest vehicles on the market (aesthetics are subjective, but just look at the front of that thing)—that will block all mobile, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals from reaching a driver’s phone. If you are that addicted, I doubt this will be of much help, though.

A car manufacturer has developed a compartment that blocks mobile phone signals. Nissan says the prototype Signal Shield, built into the arm rest of its Juke crossover vehicle, will eliminate distractions caused by incoming calls, messages and social media notifications. The box works on the principle of the Faraday cage - invented in the 1830s - which uses material such as a wire mesh to shield its contents from electromagnetic fields. All mobile, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals are prevented from reaching inside the compartment once the lid is closed.

nissan breaks laws in the us.

In recent years, the number of websites offering “cell jammers” or similar devices designed to block communications and create a “quiet zone” in vehicles, schools, theaters, restaurants, and other places has increased substantially. While these devices are marketed under different names, such as signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, they have the same purpose. We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi. Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

EFF lawsuit in 3, 2 ...

but good luck to Nissan trying to win that case.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10048.html

canada too.

Last edited:
I would rather it disable all phones outside the car within like 20 feet. Would be fun watching peeps smack their phones at the red light.

nissan breaks laws in the us.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

EFF lawsuit in 3, 2 ...

but good luck to Nissan trying to win that case.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10048.html

canada too.

It's not a jammer, it's a Faraday cage integrated into the center console, nothing illegal about it.

The FCC is talking about devices which emit a radio signal in order to block or interfere, which is different.

People definitely need to learn self-control. It's sad how 9 out of 10 people think a notification is something of an itch they need to address immediately.

It's worse when said people have a smart watch. I can't tell you how many office conversations/meetings I've seen people stop listening mid-sentence to 'read' their wrist for 2 minutes at a time.

You feel a buzz or hear a notification? How about you get to it later and not be a rude self-involved asshole. How hard is that?

does it do any of the following?

guess what.

You dont know what you are talking about.

The FCC is referring to devices which emit a radio signal in order to block or interfere, which is different.

It even says it specifically in your link:

"A radiocommunication jamming device, also known as a signal silencer, blocker or disabler, is a radiocommunication transmitter designed to interfere with, disrupt, or block radiocommunication signals and services."

does it do any of the following?

guess what.

I guess this means the FCC is going after elevators, basement floors, and even below level parking garages now?

I don't see how a small faraday cage, that you can choose not to put your phone in, falls under this FCC thing you're quoting.

It is something built into the center console people, you have to put your phone into that, otherwise it doesn't do anything. So the people who you would want to use this won't. So, pointless feature is pointless. Also Master Shake you are completely wrong. FCC only regulates active devices, not passive shielding.

It is something built into the center console people, you have to put your phone into that, otherwise it doesn't do anything. So the people who you would want to use this won't. So, pointless feature is pointless.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Airplane mode would accomplish the same thing.

Don't mention impulse control. You'll get chastised.
Also this is hillarious. I want to see how many they sell. Probably a total of 5.

I don't see how a small faraday cage, that you can choose not to put your phone falls under this FCC thing.

It doesnt, the FCC specifically defines jamming devices as:

Jamming devices are radio frequency transmitters that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with lawful communications, such as cell phone calls, text messages, GPS systems, and Wi-Fi networks.

This center console does not do that.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-304575A1.pdf

It doesnt, the FCC specifically defines jamming devices as:

Jamming devices are radio frequency transmitters that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with lawful communications, such as cell phone calls, text messages, GPS systems, and Wi-Fi networks.

This center console does not do that.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-304575A1.pdf
There's a difference between active jamming and passive jamming. Passive is totally fine. Active is not.
If you want to wear a tin foil hat, paint your walls with lead and set up Faraday cages, go nuts (well maybe not the lead part).
If you want to flood paid for and licensed frequencies, the FCC will want to have a word with you.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Airplane mode would accomplish the same thing.

It is literally a pandering feature targeted at dumb parents who believe their "innocent little angel" will 100% obey all their rules the moment they are out of sight. It serves no purpose beyond that.

People definitely need to learn self-control. It's sad how 9 out of 10 people think a notification is something of an itch they need to address immediately.

It's worse when said people have a smart watch. I can't tell you how many office conversations/meetings I've seen people stop listening mid-sentence to 'read' their wrist for 2 minutes at a time.

You feel a buzz or hear a notification? How about you get to it later and not be a rude self-involved asshole. How hard is that?
Kids these days have it really bad. We were interview a 20 year old girl the other week here. She held her phone during the entire interview and kept looking at it when it buzzed. Needless to say her application went into the trash afterwards.

So this only works for people who already decided they don't want to use their phone while driving. This is some bullshit feature right there.

Kids these days have it really bad. We were interview a 20 year old girl the other week here. She held her phone during the entire interview and kept looking at it when it buzzed. Needless to say her application went into the trash afterwards.

It's unbelievable how kids react these days to being 1 minute without their cellphone. I can't even be in a movie theater without someone browsing 9gag or their Facebook feed during "slow talking scenes" in movies. It's fucking irritating and distracting.

Eh, more nanny state minded nonsense but having a faraday cage built in to the car would be nice if you don't want to be tracked but have your phone easily accessible. Might drain the battery though if the phone is constantly looking for a signal tower.

This. People think the world will end if they don't respond immediately for some reason.

In other news Nissan reports not a single sale of this car.

If anyone was stupid enough to buy this car this is easily bypassed. Plus unless they embed stuff in the windows (can you say freaking expensive?) it wont be a perfect block and even if it were....just roll the window down and hang your head out the window while texting. Totally safe right?

They'll get sued, but, not for the reason you think.

The driver will put the device in the box, and when they finish their destination, they'll see that their device has lost quite a bit of battery life. They'll complain on the forum and all 19 Juke owners will file a class action.

They'll then blame Nissan that they weren't warned that blocking their device from signal, causes the phone to constantly search for signal, draining battery life.

Life hack: Everyone with a center console can put their phone on airplane mode, and put device in the console.
You don't need to buy an ugly car to get the same results.

I can think of a better place to put phones so people don't fuck with them behind the wheel.

They'll get sued, but, not for the reason you think.

The driver will put the device in the box, and when they finish their destination, they'll see that their device has lost quite a bit of battery life. They'll complain on the forum and all 19 Juke owners will file a class action.

They'll then blame Nissan that they weren't warned that blocking their device from signal, causes the phone to constantly search for signal, draining battery life.

Life hack: Everyone with a center console can put their phone on airplane mode, and put device in the console.
You don't need to buy an ugly car to get the same results.

You didn't read the article. The phone can be hooked up[ to the entertainment system to be used for music so it has to be plugged in.

Manual cars prevent smart phone usage... but I've seen stupider people.

Wow, I have an idea: why not just exercise a little self-control?

Part of the problem is that we are hard wired to be social creatures. The temptation to check a message or updates can in in many cases be completely impossible for a human, any human, to resist.

Not my opinion, but science.

You didn't read the article. The phone can be hooked up[ to the entertainment system to be used for music so it has to be plugged in.

Nope! I did look at the pictures though. Gotta get Kyle that money.

So how much does this faraday box increase the cost of the car? Oh what's that? It's more than $0? Yeah if I really need distraction free driving I will simply turn my phone's volume to zero, and if that isn't enough to cause me to create carmageddon due to the distracting vibration, I could simply hold the power button down for a few seconds and turn the phone off or put it in airplane mode!

Also one of the best anti-theft options in the US since so few people know how to make them work. :)
Haha, very true. None of the 25 and under people that I know can drive manual. Manual transmission cars are the safest cars around, because you are focused on driving more than an auto driver.

Back