NIS or Zonealarm

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
Which one sould I use. I got a free copy NIS with my giga-byte motherboard or I could use the free Zonealarm.

EDIT

I have windows xp sp2 with the new firewall on.

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
While you are looking around, take a strong look at the freeware Kerio firewall. I personally prefer their older one which is version 2.1.5. It's a no-bloat simple to use, yet effective firewall. Best of all, it will do everything you need. You can find that version with a bit of searching.

M11

Does Not Follow Instructions.
Are you using broadband or dialup? Broadband with NAT is sufficient provided you exercise caution and avoid malware hazards.

XanTHraX

Limp Gawd
mosin said:
While you are looking around, take a strong look at the freeware Kerio firewall. I personally prefer their older one which is version 2.1.5. It's a no-bloat simple to use, yet effective firewall. Best of all, it will do everything you need. You can find that version with a bit of searching.

Agreed, why pay for it when you can get one that does everything for free. I would recommend this Kerio Personal Firewall vrs 2.1.5. I recently replaced my Norton suite (Norton Firewall and Anti Virus) with freeware.

Download Links:

Firewall:Kerio Personal Firewall (Direct Download)
Anti Virus: Avast! AntiVirus (Homepage)

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
XanTHraX said:
Agreed, why pay for it when you can get one that does everything for free. I would recommend this Kerio Personal Firewall vrs 2.1.5. I recently replaced my Norton suite (Norton Firewall and Anti Virus) with freeware.

Download Links:

Firewall:Kerio Personal Firewall (Direct Download)
Anti Virus: Avast! AntiVirus (Homepage)
The only downside is that it closes, but does not stealth port 139....if you care.

vinnie

[H]ard|Gawd
Another vote for kerio 2.1.5 . I'm not sure why they Fisher-Priced the latest version, maybe trying to capture some of the Zonealarm market. Either way, 2.1.5 does a great job.

Even with a router, I still keep the software firewall on. I know immediately if anything ever tries to call out which is a good thing.

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
KoDt said:
dont use sotfware firewall, get a router with hardware firewall

If he has some form of high speed internet access such as cable or DSL i would go this route. Otherwise if your on 56k like me all you need is a good software firewall. I prefer Kerio Personal Firewall myself. Its the best i've used.

vinnie

[H]ard|Gawd
KoDt said:

How about no? As I said before- "Even with a router, I still keep the software firewall on. I know immediately if anything ever tries to call out which is a good thing.". Certainly, if you've got nothing at the moment, a software firewall is a lot better than nothing It's also cheaper than a router.

Not everyone has anything to route either. Some people are perfectly happy with just one computer. A software firewall is a great and wonderful thing.

XanTHraX

Limp Gawd
mosin said:
The only downside is that it closes, but does not stealth port 139....if you care.

Could you elaborate, what effect does this have on my system.

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
KoDt said:

Ya I have a router with a fire wall (router ) but I dont know how good its firewall is so I was going to install a software on to make sure.

If he has some form of high speed internet access such as cable or DSL i would go this route. Otherwise if your on 56k like me all you need is a good software firewall. I prefer Kerio Personal Firewall myself. Its the best i've used.

Yes I have cable not a 56k.