Nintendo’s Ultimate Retro Gaming Experience Is $60

Wow, neat stuff, great games in the bundle. The nostalgic aesthetic element alone will provide adequate wife convincing material.

I'm in for two. One to keep and use, one to mod into a Raspberry Pi case. One for fun, one for more fun, and two controllers too

Reactions: Xrave
like this
Will definitely pick up 1 or a couple. The only thing that seems to be missing is duckhunt and a gun controller.

Would love to know if there will be a way to add in more games (legally or not).

Will definitely pick up 1 or a couple. The only thing that seems to be missing is duckhunt and a gun controller.

Also the power glove. You can't forget the power glove.

220px-Wizard1989.jpg

Waiting for someone to come in to this thread and say this is obsolete and shouldn't be offered.

Worse is the nerds with glasses thick enough to burn ants that put this down "cuz just run an emulator 4 FR33"

Simplicity, fools.

Wait... Nintendo's not trying to draw our attention away from their meager Wii U software lineup by releasing a retro themed microconsole, are they!?

Hmm, more like $30. Too bad it doesn't have a light gun of some sort for duck hunt / wild gunman, etc

If this had the following games I would be giving them my money for sure. This just misses too many of my favorites.

RBI Baseball
River City Ransom
Paper Boy
Ski or Die
Contra
Bionic Commando
Jackal

Am good with my Retron 3. This would be cool if you could use old carts with it. If they want my money they need to release more virtual console games on 3ds especially SNES ones.

They would have to make a brand new NES Zapper gun controller for this system. The original only worked with old school tube tv's.

Does anyone know if this thing has Game Genie support? Sometimes a couple cheat codes make these old games so much more enjoyable, especially now that I'm no longer an 8 year old fueled with boundless energy.

This is true, but people who want a quick, working out-of-the-box experience with this device will get it.
For those of the know, the Raspberry Pi 3 is obviously the better choice, but not everyone wants to sit down and build/setup/configure the thing just to do this.

It is nice that we now have both options.

Not to mention that rom downloading is illegal...

It will be nice to see what todays programmers can pull out of this console. Can they make the retro gaming thats in our hearts??

A Q&A from Kotaku...

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116

Our questions and Nintendo’s answers:

Will the mini-NES be able to connect to the internet?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy.

On the same note: does Nintendo plan to sell other NES games for the mini-NES beyond the 30 it comes preloaded with?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

Are there plans for other mini-consoles, like a mini-SNES or mini-N64?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Just because people have been asking: safe to say it can’t play old cartridges, right? (Based on the image it looks like an NES cartridge would have around the same width as the entire console.) Does it open up at all?

The console does not use physical media and therefore the Chamber Lid does not open.

Waiting for someone to come in to this thread and say this is obsolete and shouldn't be offered.

I had bought Final Fantasy I - VI, Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior), Secret of Mana, and ChronoTrigger on iOS. I saw they just released Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventures) too. I had to buy a plug-in controller for my iOS device. I'm not a fan of the onscreen controls.

I'll be interested to see what will power this box and how the games run.

Nope these games are the opposite of todays game, they never become obsolete because they do not depend on servers, drm, or player accounts. They just play.™

You COULD theoretically consider its entirely closed environment as some sort of DRM (as in you won't be able to change anything, not even the titles you play).

But it ends there. It is otherwise purely plug and play.

you all realize its 8 Bit and only 30 games? The Sega Genesis mini console has 80 games and is 16 bit lol, plus the Sega is around $50 on Amazon

I won't be surprised if they sell out. $60 is an affordable gift. Order as many as you can, gouge people on Ebay. Profit. Or something like that.

Not to mention that rom downloading is illegal...
People can rip their own ROMs from their game cartridges, which to my knowledge, is not illegal.
Now if they redistributed it, that's a bit in the gray area, and if they sold them for profit, that is definitely illegal.

Meh... I'd much rather use an original NES case to house an emulator, and use a retro-modern bluetooth controller that just looks and feels like the old ones but without the wires.

Actually, I wonder if an alienware alpha will fit in a NES case... hmmmm.

Last time i checked raspberry pi 3's are not free. $30 bucks for RP3 and at least another $20 for controllers. Puts you around 50 and your recommendation is then to pirate the games to save money $10 bucks?

Yeah.. but still just 30 games.

Nintendo has confirmed the console will not connect to the internet and will not be able to play games beyond the 30 NES classics that come pre-loaded on the device.

Source: Nintendo's NES Classic comes with 30 games, and that's all it'll ever get

People can rip their own ROMs from their game cartridges, which to my knowledge, is not illegal.
Now if they redistributed it, that's a bit in the gray area, and if they sold them for profit, that is definitely illegal.

Sure, but you and I both know that's not what people usually tend to do. ;)

I say we save Nintendo some time and compile a list of the top 30 SNES games so they can get cracking on the next one more quickly:

1. Earthbound
  2. Super Mario World
  3. Killer Instinct
  4. Breath of Fire
  5. Breath of Fire 2
  6. Final Fantasy 2 (IV)
  7. Final Fantasy 3 (VI)
  8. Secret of Mana
  9. Chrono Trigger
  10. Battletoads and Double Dragon
  11. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  12. Donkey Kong Country 1
  13. Donkey Kong Country 2
  14. Super Mario Kart
  15. Super Metroid
  16. Super Mario RPG
  17. Contra III
  18. Mega Man X
  19. TMNT: Turltes in Time
  20. Starfox
  21. Pilotwings
  22. Earthworm Jim
  23. SimCity
  24. Soul Blazer
  25. Gradius III
  26. Super Castlevania IV
  27. The Lost Vikings
  28. Top Gear
  29. F-Zero
  30. Street Fighter II Turbo

I think it's worth the price if the controller is of good quality and feels like the original.

Too bad it's only for 30 games.

Yeah, pretty disappointed that it won't have room for any expansion. It really does feel like a version of those old mini-Genesis/min-Atari systems that sold for cheap a few years back.

I'm curious to see the hardware running these games. If it's basically a pared down 3DS, I'll be even more disappointed, as it would've been such a waste to not just make a '3DS TV' ala PSTV.

That game list is pretty respectable. It's got a lot of Nintendo-created games, but doesn't forget the great third-party games.

There's a nice mix of easier games and Nintenhard games.

Lol..i remember owning all those games too! Damn.. I just might get it..

As cool as this is for a non-hobbyist, I may go the Rpi+Emulation route. If Nintendo released a mini-Nes that could play old game carts/images with 100% accuracy (I.E original hardware, no emulation), that would be amazing, and those 30 games offer a LOT to be excited about, but just not for me.

That's a pretty solid list of games, actually. I would have liked to see them include one of the TMNT games and some others like Tetris, Marble Madness, Bart vs. the Space Mutants, Top Gun, and a few others but the list they have and the retro look is pretty much good enough.

I would have been interested but there are too few games and no additions possible. What if I want to play Baseball Stars or Mission Impossible? I've been out of the Nintendo system for a while anyway.

So unfortunate that this only comes with 30 games (I played a few, but only a few games from this list)...

If only I could get my NES and SNES hooked up to HDMI...

The next vehicle I plan on buying is going to have factory-equipped headrest monitors with AV inputs and a 110V outlet. This new NES Classic is going be great for keeping the kiddos occupied on longer road trips. Plus I'll be getting one for myself. :)

Back