Nintendo’s Ultimate Retro Gaming Experience Is $60

HardOCP News

[H] News
Normally we don't comment on press releases like this but 30 classic Nintendo games for less than $60 is too good not to say anything. After floundering for the last few years, Nintendo sure is on a roll lately. I like how they gave the mini console a retro look too.

We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

I dunno, it reminds me of those micro Sega consoles they released a few years ago. I don't believe it plays the original cartridges either (like the Retrogen units). I do think they picked a nice assortment of Nintendo games, though (Bubble Bobble was a nice surprise for me).

Personally, I'd be more excited for a mini-Virtual Console system. Entirely devoted to Nintendo's Virtual Console market that would allow you to purchase software from all their previous consoles.

$60? For that much you can build a retropie from a Raspberry Pi 3 that will play a hell of a lot more than NES and a hell of a lot more than 30 games. I thought this was [H]ardOCP?

Absolutely. Though, I do get the draw to a Nintendo branded device with a Nintendo branded (and hopefully not a piece of junk) NES controller.

$60? For that much you can build a retropie from a Raspberry Pi 3 that will play a hell of a lot more than NES and a hell of a lot more than 30 games. I thought this was [H]ardOCP?

How many times have we covered that in the past? A million times (billion maybe)? We are huge DIY guys but the reason for building a RetroPie or any NES emulator is because Nintendo didn't have anything like this. Plus, the little kid in me got all excited when I saw this so I had to share ;)

This is true, but people who want a quick, working out-of-the-box experience with this device will get it.
For those of the know, the Raspberry Pi 3 is obviously the better choice, but not everyone wants to sit down and build/setup/configure the thing just to do this.

It is nice that we now have both options.

exactly, this is gonna target the mass market, bring back the memories of the age in the generation who played it, and in my opinion (not that it means anything), the price is ok.. maybe 10 bucks high, but not bad

This is true, but people who want a quick, working out-of-the-box experience with this device will get it.
For those of the know, the Raspberry Pi 3 is obviously the better choice, but not everyone wants to sit down and build/setup/configure the thing just to do this.

It is nice that we now have both options.

The only NES style Raspi case I can find is a kind of hokey looking one on Etsy... so... maybe.

Yeah, but dumping your own NES cartridges to ROMs to play on your Pi is a huge pain in the neck, requires specialized equipment and is absolutely worth the $60 not to have to do it.

If you're talking about just pirating these games to play on your Pi, that's just thread-crapping and isn't any different than going into a thread about any other software and saying it's a shit deal because you could torrent it for free instead.

Wow, almost worth buying it just to have the controllers to use on the Wii U:

When connected to a Wii Remote controller, the NES Classic Controller can also be used to play Virtual Console NES games on a Wii U or Wii system. Playing these retro games using a retro controller makes the experience that much more authentic. And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

I am so buying this. And the list of games is amazingly great. Megaman 2? Final Fantasy?? Metroid, castlevania, and super Mario series?!? I didn't see one game on the list that didn't rock.

And no wireless controllers! I can't tell you how many times I could tell the difference in these old games with timing with a wired vs wireless.

Controllers need to be wireless.

Hell NO! Input lag on those old Nintendo games because of the wireless controllers is the reason I don't play them on my wii. There are some games that are damn near impossible to play because of it. So if I can play these games from my couch again with out input lag then they will get my money.

Hell NO! Input lag on those old Nintendo games because of the wireless controllers is the reason I don't play them on my wii. There are some games that are damn near impossible to play because of it. So if I can play these games from my couch again with out input lag then they will get my money.

Couple that with LCD tv input lag and good luck in the Turbo Tunnels!!!

What's the point of making it look like the original NES if it doesn't take cartridges? That seems to be confusing a lot of people. I've seen similar Atari and C64 emulator products in smaller form factors.

You can attach the controller to the Wiimote if you want to be wireless, just like you do with the analog stick attachment.

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts N' Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

That game list is pretty respectable. It's got a lot of Nintendo-created games, but doesn't forget the great third-party games.

There's a nice mix of easier games and Nintenhard games. Mega Man 2 is the easiest and most accessible of the series, SMB2 is easy to beat (compared to the original) and a lot of fun, and Startropics is just a more linear Zelda, and Simon's Quest is fairly easy. But there are still insanely hard games like Castlevania, Kid Icarus, Ghouls n Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden and Zelda 2 :D

Would have been nice if they added unique games like Bionic Commando and The Guardian Legend. Also would have been nice to see a Dragon Warrior entry, as there were four to choose from. But otherwise, good list!

Since these are all NES games, the current rumors is this is just a 3DS in a box running virtual console. Which is quite a waste, since this could have played Master System games as well.

Last edited:
The problem is with those of us with hyperactive cats who pounce on anything that looks like a string. I will have to buy this though.

Last time i checked raspberry pi 3's are not free. $30 bucks for RP3 and at least another $20 for controllers. Puts you around 50 and your recommendation is then to pirate the games to save money $10 bucks?

This is an easy purchase, the wife will love it. Unlike the rest of my DIY stuff that I think is super easy to use.....

I am pretty sure I already have most of those titles on the virtual console I rarely have time to play, I think I may do the boring adult thing and pass on this one.

I already bought these retro games on my wii

They are great games - but time has moved on. My kids didn't seem interested in them these days. They went back to their kindle playtime apps pretty quick.

"The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller"

It's a joke riffing off the fact that Nintendo's most recently released console (the "New 3DS XL") does not include a power adapter with the purchase.

Sure, and that's fun as fuck. This is a Nintendo branded one. I'll be buying one for sure. I still need to finish a RetroPi desktop arcade cab for work. :)

Besides, it probably was prototyped with a Pi.

How many times have we covered that in the past? A million times (billion maybe)? We are huge DIY guys but the reason for building a RetroPie or any NES emulator is because Nintendo didn't have anything like this. Plus, the little kid in me got all excited when I saw this so I had to share ;)

This whole thing sounds great. Now they need a SNES version.

I wonder how hackable this toy could end up being...

Back