Nintendo's Switch Won’t Run “Zelda” At 1080p

That is my opinion which i'm entitled to just as you are yours.

Based on examples in my life i'm in my mid 30s.

Now go away with your aggressive tone son.

That is my opinion which i'm entitled to just as you are yours.

Based on examples in my life i'm in my mid 30s.

Now go away with your aggressive tone son.

Oh now he's an internet tough guy by calling ppl son. Don't be an asshat.

The only one being an ass here is you now quit with the lame personal attacks and stick to the topic.

lmao calling someone son equals internet tough guy.

I may have to keep that one as a sig.

I preordered it, lots of good games to play this year. I'm hoping that it becomes the 3DS I can play on my TV when I want to. Good thing is everyone has so many choices now. I've always been a Nintendo gamer first, had every system. I primarily like the simple Arcady fun stuff, also like being able to play Stardew Valley on a portable. I got Has Been Heroes, along with Zelda. Also the system is region free, and you can swap you Account region anytime. So I can buy Japanese games etc anytime if I want to.

I preordered it, lots of good games to play this year. I'm hoping that it becomes the 3DS I can play on my TV when I want to. Good thing is everyone has so many choices now. I've always been a Nintendo gamer first, had every system. I primarily like the simple Arcady fun stuff, also like being able to play Stardew Valley on a portable. I got Has Been Heroes, along with Zelda.

Did they post the launch price is it still $299 ?

Man I really wanted to pick this up for the portable aspect, but that battery life seems pretty poor. I usually got 5 hours when I was using my 3DS XL.

The console aspect has just been underwhelming all around.

Oh now he's an internet tough guy by calling ppl son. Don't be an asshat.

Wow dude. I have never seen someone get so offended over someone else calling them "son". I happen to agree with him on some level. The industry, and some younger (also some older) gamers have caused the shift by focusing more on games being shiny copy-cats of everything else instead of looking at something different. I like a lot of AAA games still, but so many just feel like the same crap repeated ad nauseum just with prettier graphics and that crap just keeps getting eaten up. A lot of the explosion of the indy market recently seems to be driven by the older gamer market that's gotten sick of the usual AAA bull.

Man I really wanted to pick this up for the portable aspect, but that battery life seems pretty poor. I usually got 5 hours when I was using my 3DS XL.

The console aspect has just been underwhelming all around.

I think if you game intensly your gonna have to do some charging, I think there might be options to dial down graphics for more battery life. For me, I just want to able to play all my 3DS games on my big TV at home. I don't really care about what they look like, it's always been the huge library and not squinting at the screen as much. im 40 now also.

Wow dude. I have never seen someone get so offended over someone else calling them "son". I happen to agree with him on some level. The industry, and some younger (also some older) gamers have caused the shift by focusing more on games being shiny copy-cats of everything else instead of looking at something different. I like a lot of AAA games still, but so many just feel like the same crap repeated ad nauseum just with prettier graphics and that crap just keeps getting eaten up. A lot of the explosion of the indy market recently seems to be driven by the older gamer market that's gotten sick of the usual AAA bull.

I find it ironic that the tool complains of aggression when he calls ppl son. He's trying to get a rise out of ppl and cannot see that he's instigating this shit.

Graphics have always been important on some level but so too is the story. I think that goes without saying. In many ways it's like films. A new super cool film, spawns many more cookie cutter versions of itself like Pulp Fiction. That's just the way capitalism is. Hollywood is full of color by numbers productions. The reality is that it's damn hard to make a fine product but it's easy to follow an existing formula. I suppose that leaves gamers to decide with their wallets. Also, I feel this whole lame argument is a rationalization for the switch being not powerful. It is 2017 now lol, ppl have a point.

I think how you feel when someone calls you "son" might depend on where you come from. me personally i don't mind being called "Buddy" or "Pal" so much, but being called son gets me pretty pissed off for some reason.

I find it ironic that the tool complains of aggression when he calls ppl son. He's trying to get a rise out of ppl and cannot see that he's instigating this shit.

Graphics have always been important on some level but so too is the story. I think that goes without saying. In many ways it's like films. A new super cool film, spawns many more cookie cutter versions of itself like Pulp Fiction. That's just the way capitalism is. Hollywood is full of color by numbers productions. The reality is that it's damn hard to make a fine product but it's easy to follow an existing formula. I suppose that leaves gamers to decide with their wallets. Also, I feel this whole lame argument is a rationalization for the switch being not powerful. It is 2017 now lol, ppl have a point.

There is a careful balance between gameplay and graphics. Graphics always need to improve, but now days it feels like it's all style over substance. I said earlier in this thread one of the reasons I like Nintendo games is because the focus is usually more on fun then just graphics or copying what everyone else is doing. I can't remember the exact wording or who said it (might have been Mark Twain) but there is a saying something to akin of ease being the antithesis of art or something to that effect. Basically it means that having to struggle and work around limitations is what allows people to be more creative and find new solutions. At this point in game development it seems like so many of the old barriers are gone and publishers and developers have just gotten lazy or fallen into a rut. Even Nintendo in some ways has, but they do try and focus on finding ways to make things fun sometimes in new ones or sometimes just by tweaking the old ways. I'm not super happy with some of the stuff the Switch is, especially in terms of pricing, but for me regardless of power, price, I appreciate that focus and that feeling.

Do you blame them the shit still sells.

You don't throw out your cash cow just to keep up with the jones that's how you go bankrupt.
[...]
I have to agree with this. If Nintendo somehow found a vendor willing to sell them a powerful new chip at a price competitive with the upcoming Scorpio and the current Pro, what would we really have? Yet another mainstream console, just this one has NINTENDO written on it, arriving 3 years late with no proven online infrastructure.

The teams that make Nintendo first party games are quite small, relatively speaking. AAA 4K HD 120FPS VR+ graphics demand sizable investments in technical/art personnel to implement - people and resources Nintendo does not have (not without significantly changing their current game development process, or spending a lot more money to expand their existing studios - which comes with its own penalties).

In the end, Nintendo continues to do what it has always done: make Nintendo products, and adapt to the industry when necessary. Sony does largely the same thing, with a Westernized marketing team.

Actually I use that term frequently with friends and even random people on the internet and for the most part the reaction is not angry or negative. I just think you are in some kinda bad mood you started your original reply with the word bullshit. Where all you had to say was I disagree and state your reasons. So if anyone is trying to instigate things its not me. You came in with the negativity!

As for the rest of this post I agree.

I think how you feel when someone calls you "son" might depend on where you come from. me personally i don't mind being called "Buddy" or "Pal" so much, but being called son gets me pretty pissed off for some reason.

Probably. Around here (Mid-West US) it's not uncommon for older people to call younger ones son or kid or something to that effect. Even I do it now and then, though I've tried to catch myself and not do it to people online.

It's all about gameplay though!!!!

shit graphics and gameplay.

Because unless it's a father talking to his actual son, it's almost always said to be patronizing and belittling.

But this is getting fairly off topic, so...yeah, 900p at 30 FPS is pretty disappointing, especially given the graphics are nowhere near top tier. They look good due to the art style but there's nothing technically impressive gong on here.

I also grew up playing ugly looking games late 80's to early 90's but this zelda playing at 900p/30fps is really offensive in this time and age. I bet we can get same perfomance with our iphones let alone a home console. There is NO excuse for having a game 1080p/60fps with all the technology available for everybody.

I also grew up playing ugly looking games late 80's to early 90's but this zelda playing at 900p/30fps is really offensive in this time and age. I bet we can get same perfomance with our iphones let alone a home console. There is NO excuse for having a game 1080p/60fps with all the technology available for everybody.

I doubt you could. Even cut down the Switch should still be among the most powerful ARM based portable devices out there. The Tegra X1 GPU beats the heck out of every other ARM SOC out there, at least last I checked.

Wasn't it supposed to run games at 60 FPS?
Has any Zelda game, ever (at least in the 3D era), ran at 60?

20 on the N64 and 30 on the newer systems has been the trend.

Not that that's a good thing, it's just to be expected.

Isn't that what keeps you coming back, you can adjust to lower visuals you cannot make the game play better.

if it blows doesn't matter how pretty is it.

It's not either, it's both and. I grew up with this stuff and there were tons of fun games that were comprised of literally 20 pixels in the late 70s, many of those stand alone gadgets like the Simon or Merlin. Tons of fun for the time. That just doesn't work these days. Like all pop culture and modern living it becomes a matter or production quality. Maybe the essence of what makes it fun isn't any different but the expectation is different in the products makeup.

Isn't that what keeps you coming back, you can adjust to lower visuals you cannot make the game play better.

if it blows doesn't matter how pretty is it.

The opposite is true as well. There are some truly great and fun games that are just so pitiful looking it's hard to stay engaged because the level of immersion just isn't there anymore. I still love playing MAME and old DOS games, but personally I can't stick with the majority of them for the whole because, other than the nostalgia, there isn't the current level of fidelity to them. That makes them no less of a fun game, however, it does make them less appealing to go back to. Hence why people eat up remakes of games and movies. If a game out the gate is 6 years behind in terms of graphics, thats already no-go for me. Feel free to argue that point as many will and i respect that, but for me, there is no excuse to charge 300$ for a system and have the games look shittier than a 10 year old system could render. No excuse. Nintendo has fallen back on that argument for 3 generations now. I am done.

The opposite is true as well. There are some truly great and fun games that are just so pitiful looking it's hard to stay engaged because the level of immersion just isn't there anymore. I still love playing MAME and old DOS games, but personally I can't stick with the majority of them for the whole because, other than the nostalgia, there isn't the current level of fidelity to them. That makes them no less of a fun game, however, it does make them less appealing to go back to. Hence why people eat up remakes of games and movies. If a game out the gate is 6 years behind in terms of graphics, thats already no-go for me. Feel free to argue that point as many will and i respect that, but for me, there is no excuse to charge 300$ for a system and have the games look shittier than a 10 year old system could render. No excuse. Nintendo has fallen back on that argument for 3 generations now. I am done.

A lot of issues with games that old comes down to limitations of design and limitations of experience. A lot of the old classics have aged amazingly well, but others are filled with things that we would call bad game design these days. Especially in terms of level design and mechanics. A game like Castlevania or Metal Gear seemed like amazing innovative experiences in their day, but now days we can understand the problems with their design and see all the bad decisions that were made due to lack of experience back then. I can't go back to MG1 not due to it's graphics but because it's a badly designed game that simply isn't fun. On the other hand an "ugly" game like SMB or MM2 are games I can still load up and spend time with. They have some similar problems (especially MM2) but the core experience still holds up and it's why those games can still resonate with a newer generation where as other ones simply don't. The only era where I really think there is a big problem connecting graphically is the early 3D era. Early 3D games look hooooooorible now days. Many games of the era look so bad that it's hard to make out what is going on. Games before and after that era really don't have that problem unless you're going back to the late 70s, but even then some of those games are still fun and playable even with primitive graphics.

Why do people insist on using hyperbole when discussing graphics? Come on, Zelda does NOT look like a ten year old game. If you're going to bitch about graphics try not to engage in hyperbole, it makes your argument look weaker than it really is. As a home console I agree, the Switch's graphics are not good enough. It's not enough of a jump over the Wii U. Even a full powered Tegra X1 is not near the current gen systems. A X2 would have been a much better option, even if it increased the cost a bit (which could be mitigated by not having that HD rumble stuff). And by marketing it as a console Nintendo is going to kill the system. It's not a console, it's a portable that can dock. That is what Nintendo needs to focus on. They need to stop being so scared of admitting that one device is replacing another, they're not fooling anyone by lying about it and it just completely ruins their messaging. Everyone is thinking of it as a console because in their infinite stupidity Nintendo keeps pushing that aspect.

Derangel , they cannot, though. They don't want to kill off the 3DS/2DS line (probably because the 3DS is too successful to kill and much cheaper to boot.

Part of that is just down to their marketing teams being sub-par (while I am aware marketing does more than make pretty commercials, their consumer-facing marketing has been spotty, at best).

Which does bring up another problem... they already merged their portable and home console development teams. So the 3DS is going to suffer if the Switch gets the lion's share of attention.

Derangel , they cannot, though. They don't want to kill off the 3DS/2DS line.

Part of that is just down to their marketing teams being sub-par (while I am aware marketing does more than make pretty commercials, their consumer-facing marketing has been spotty, at best).

They laid off a good portion of the amazing PR team that did the marketing for the Wii and the new group has been crap from the get go. They need to clean house again. Ideally starting with the board of directors and working their way down to the marketing team.

technology ( numbers ) makes anything better. from textures, to resolution, to frame rates to audio to so on and so forth. There's a very good reason most people get '"hung up on numbers".

Sorry, but gaming worlds are a lot more immersive at 1080p. Maybe even at 4k. Sorry, but 60fps is a lot better than 30fps. I mean, this is a terribly poor argument / point to try and make.

There is nothing stopping anyone, including Nintendo from making great games and players enjoying them. To suggest that lower spec hardware shouldn't matter is ludicrous.

It's already been determined that Nintendo sacrificed performance to gain market position. These are not my words, these are from recent market analysts comments I saw on Bloomberg or Wired.

If the numbers and tech are so important to some individuals they probably need to stop paying attention to what's coming out on consoles or they're going to be walking around with frowns for a long time.

I have to say, its a bit disappointing not to see it @ 1080p considering the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes came in at 1080/30fps on the Wii U, both of which look and play well as far as im concerned. Now considering the Switch is rumored to be around 50-60% more powerfull than the Wii U it makes me wonder what they packed into the game to cause it to run so low and slow especially on the Wii U. Im not so disapointed that the system is lacking power but that they decided to go with an engine that was to taxing for either machine.

Now personally i dont get why so many people are mad about with the switch. I keep hearing its underpowered and its to expensive lol... The dial has to give one way or the other. I personally love the Idea of the Hybrid model and when there were specs leaked i expected a price of at least $450. Once i heard the price i was rather surprised,. Hell my cell phone is $500, yet people are mad at $300 for a decent mobile/home console... Seriously, what did people expect? Of course it could be much much more powerful, it would also cost more.

I could be biased. IDK, I hadnt owned a console or handheld since the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance until recently. Just bought a Wii U and 3DS XL a couple months back because of the games it had. When it comes to consoles the graphics are not my first concern, thats why I have a nice computer with dual graphics cards...

Is the switch going to fail I dont know... I thought the Original Wii and DS were retarded and they ended up being massive hits. I am however happy to see Nintendo take a different route rather than trying to be a lackluster crappy pc with boring rehashed games.

The problem is that they have been taking about how games would run at 1080p 60 when docked, 720p 60 when in tablet mode. By your logic no game should ever run at 4K because game previously don't run at 4K.

These leads to an issue when they are trying to say that the system can handle these type of quality levels but then the game that was created for the last gen can't even reach this level.

I have to say, its a bit disappointing not to see it @ 1080p considering the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes came in at 1080/30fps on the Wii U, both of which look and play well as far as im concerned. Now considering the Switch is rumored to be around 50-60% more powerfull than the Wii U it makes me wonder what they packed into the game to cause it to run so low and slow especially on the Wii U. Im not so disapointed that the system is lacking power but that they decided to go with an engine that was to taxing for either machine.

Now personally i dont get why so many people are mad about with the switch. I keep hearing its underpowered and its to expensive lol... The dial has to give one way or the other. I personally love the Idea of the Hybrid model and when there were specs leaked i expected a price of at least $450. Once i heard the price i was rather surprised,. Hell my cell phone is $500, yet people are mad at $300 for a decent mobile/home console... Seriously, what did people expect? Of course it could be much much more powerful, it would also cost more.

I could be biased. IDK, I hadnt owned a console or handheld since the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance until recently. Just bought a Wii U and 3DS XL a couple months back because of the games it had. When it comes to consoles the graphics are not my first concern, thats why I have a nice computer with dual graphics cards...

Is the switch going to fail I dont know... I thought the Original Wii and DS were retarded and they ended up being massive hits. I am however happy to see Nintendo take a different route rather than trying to be a lackluster crappy pc with boring rehashed games.
I doubt it is 50-60% more powerful then a Wii U. I think why people are upset about the price is that it is way weaker then a PS4/Xbone and still more expensive then them. Also the fact that they will start charging for online given how pitiful it has been in the past. I personally don't care too much about graphics but Nintendo needs to stop it with these gimmicks and just make a solid system. They are not going to catch lightning in the bottle like they did with the Wii.

Last edited:
The problem is that they have been taking about how games would run at 1080p 60 when docked, 720p 60 when in tablet mode. By your logic no game should ever run at 4K because game previously don't run at 4K.

These leads to an issue when they are trying to say that the system can handle these type of quality levels but then the game that was created for the last gen can't even reach this level.

No, they have not. Rumors have mentioned it, Nintendo doesn't talk specs. They will mention resolution and frame rate on a game-by-game basis, but in general everything is vague. Also, your argument is pretty silly. The XB1 and PS4 are exactly the same when it comes to resolution and frame rate. And that's not even getting into the PS4 Pro's abysmal 4K performance.

I like the part where nobody read the spec sheet for the Switch in mobile mode. It's native resolution is 720p in mobile mode. Supposedly (I dunno if this is true) it does 1080p when docked as the GPU clocks up. But I dunno if that's speculation or fact, can't recall where I read it.

I like the part where nobody read the spec sheet for the Switch in mobile mode. It's native resolution is 720p in mobile mode. Supposedly (I dunno if this is true) it does 1080p when docked as the GPU clocks up. But I dunno if that's speculation or fact, can't recall where I read it.

720p on the tablet is confirmed and I believe they've said MK8D runs at 1080p/60 docked. Sadly they don't talk specifics with the specs so the actual SOC and how it acts probably won't be known until launch and people have had time to tear it apart and run tests on it. Though the Digital Foundry report is probably correct. At this point I'd be surprised if it used a full fledged X1 or the P1.

A Link Between Worlds ran at 60FPS on the 3DS. Don't know if you'll count that.

I doubt it is 50-60% more powerful then a Wii U. I think why people are upset about the price is that it is way weaker then a PS4/Xbone and still more expensive then them. Also the fact that they will start charging for online given how pitiful it has been in the past. I personally don't care too much about graphics but Nintendo needs to stop it with these gimmicks and just make a solid system. They are not going to catch lightning in the bottle like they did with the Wii.

All the current information seems to point to the Switch being around 50-60% better than the Wii U. The Wii U is getting Zelda at 720p and the Switch is getting it at 720p for the Handheld mode while it's running at 40% power and then 900p when docked. My guess is it can't quite handle 1080p consistently at 30fps so the dropped it down to 900.

Regardless the console is a Hybrid there isn't a chance it can compete with Xbox one or PS4 being a hybrid at these prices so why are people upset? The thing is if it was more powerful it would be more expensive and then people would be mad as well. They are trying to change with the market, There was a lot of speculation over the past few years the Nintendo may not even make a new home console again, as well as Microsoft and Sony not doing a new (not upgraded) console. So I'm more than happy to see something different while still giving me Nintendo.

Nintendo has already caught lightning in a bottle multiple times, DS, Gameboy, wii, all sold over the 100 million mark and the GBA isn't far behind with the 3DS still doing well in the 60+ million, why exactly do you think they can't do it again?

The Gamecube was cheaper and arguably better or at least comparable in most ways than the PS2 yet the PS2 demolished it most say because the PS2 had a DVD player and Sony sold it at a loss for a while, simply having a powerful system doesn't make it a winner. Like it or not excellent marketing can do wonders.

Personally I just look at it differently, I don't expect graphics from a console, they simply can't compete with the PC in depth of play or game options, it's been that way for me since 1995 when I played my first Flight Simulator. My view is if they aren't doing their own "gimmick" that I can't get on a PC they should just throw in the towel and make PC games. My only issue with Zelda not pulling 1080p is that they chose an engine that was to demanding for their hardware, that is something that can happen on any system.

I do agree with the online play being paid for, that sucks. I'll withhold my judgement until I see the price and what it offers, however online play isn't a big one for me on consoles either so in the end it's not a deal breaker.

That is the difference between the generation of kids that played video games in the 70,80,early 90s. The new kids just care about numbers not how fun the games are. Back then you would play that mario games for years now if the kids don't beat the game that same night its forgetten and on to the next one.

We cared about the numbers and graphics just as much as younger generation does now. Remember bit wars? We didnt know what bits even meant but we equated it with better graphics. Sega does what nintendon't and blast processing? Faster and better hardware than nintendos they advertised. Graphics and hardware were a big deal back then and it still is today, nothing has changed except people know there is more to argue about hardware than just bits...

The Xbox One and PS4 don't even run all games at 1080, so I'm not surprised the Switch can't, seeing as it has less power. I don't think anyone should be surprised about this.

Reactions: Youn
like this
No, they have not. Rumors have mentioned it, Nintendo doesn't talk specs. They will mention resolution and frame rate on a game-by-game basis, but in general everything is vague. Also, your argument is pretty silly. The XB1 and PS4 are exactly the same when it comes to resolution and frame rate. And that's not even getting into the PS4 Pro's abysmal 4K performance.

No, they did announce that. During the treehouse live stream they were talking about Mario Kart and its performance.

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-kart-8-deluxe-always-runs-at-60-fps/

So right there them announcing that is what one game would do mean that is what the system is able to do period.

All the current information seems to point to the Switch being around 50-60% better than the Wii U. The Wii U is getting Zelda at 720p and the Switch is getting it at 720p for the Handheld mode while it's running at 40% power and then 900p when docked. My guess is it can't quite handle 1080p consistently at 30fps so the dropped it down to 900.

Regardless the console is a Hybrid there isn't a chance it can compete with Xbox one or PS4 being a hybrid at these prices so why are people upset? The thing is if it was more powerful it would be more expensive and then people would be mad as well. They are trying to change with the market, There was a lot of speculation over the past few years the Nintendo may not even make a new home console again, as well as Microsoft and Sony not doing a new (not upgraded) console. So I'm more than happy to see something different while still giving me Nintendo.

Nintendo has already caught lightning in a bottle multiple times, DS, Gameboy, wii, all sold over the 100 million mark and the GBA isn't far behind with the 3DS still doing well in the 60+ million, why exactly do you think they can't do it again?

The Gamecube was cheaper and arguably better or at least comparable in most ways than the PS2 yet the PS2 demolished it most say because the PS2 had a DVD player and Sony sold it at a loss for a while, simply having a powerful system doesn't make it a winner. Like it or not excellent marketing can do wonders.

Personally I just look at it differently, I don't expect graphics from a console, they simply can't compete with the PC in depth of play or game options, it's been that way for me since 1995 when I played my first Flight Simulator. My view is if they aren't doing their own "gimmick" that I can't get on a PC they should just throw in the towel and make PC games. My only issue with Zelda not pulling 1080p is that they chose an engine that was to demanding for their hardware, that is something that can happen on any system.

I do agree with the online play being paid for, that sucks. I'll withhold my judgement until I see the price and what it offers, however online play isn't a big one for me on consoles either so in the end it's not a deal breaker.
It not just the resolution difference. The game looks worse from bother comparisons I seen.

Not to deviate too far off topic, but this is true. Where I am originally from in the south being called "buddy" or "pal" by a stranger is usually an attempt to instigate a fight. Where when I moved up north to rochester everyone does it. It took me a while to adjust from automatically wanting to fight someone over it.

That said, I've rarely encountered "son" being used on the internet as a whole not in a condescending way. It may not have been meant that way depending on usage of it in the area the person using it is from, but it is difficult to make that determination through text. Best to avoid terms like that in a text post because most people are going to use them in a condescending or inflammatory manner unless you are intentionally trying to get a rise out of people.

Back