Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime Explains Why Nintendo Needs To Keep Making Consoles

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
With Nintendo's consoles in later years falling behind competitors from Sony and Microsoft in terms of raw performance and graphical fidelity, many have made the argument that Nintendo ought to focus on what they do best, namely their titles. Well, Reggie Fils-Aime of Nintendo has heard these arguments, and he's here to tell you why they are wrong.

Is Nintendo still adding value with their hardware, or should they just focus on titles?

‘What Nintendo does for the industry is important. It’s what we take pride in,’ he said, referring to Nintendo’s role as the innovator of the gaming world. ‘Innovating the world of video games, pushing the industry forwards… and a big part of that is by creating unique hardware that allows for more unique gaming experiences. The biggest and most obvious example of this is the Wii, which introduced a tracking system and accelerometer, and made gaming more than just the press of a button. We did this all at a price point that most families could afford. By taking a risk, Nintendo was able to introduce the world to a new way of playing. It made gamers out of people who had never touched a gaming console before.

Wii got lucky and rode a fad among non/casual gamers. That fad has long since past. That's not lightning they're going to catch in a new bottle. They should get out of the hardware business as their consoles are consistently weak and gimmicky. Stick to the software; you can still make decent games -- well, to a degree.

I dunno, I'd say they've been too preoccupied trying to repeat the lightning strike that was the Wii with hardware gimmicks and that has made their gaming software falter. Latest example being that Star Fox game with its awkward forced Gamepad integration.

They've spent so much time lately trying to reinvent the wheel, I'd love it for Nintendo to focus a generation or two on traditional gaming.

I dunno, I'd say they've been too preoccupied trying to repeat the lightning strike that was the Wii with hardware gimmicks and that has made their gaming software falter. Latest example being that Star Fox game with its awkward forced Gamepad integration.

They've spent so much time lately trying to reinvent the wheel, I'd love it for Nintendo to focus a generation or two on traditional gaming.

This. Controller, TV, done. So far the PSVR is going the way of a dodo (it looks to me) or the Kinect. These days, if you pickup a Nintendo console - you're going to get First Party support. Third party support... I doubt it.

Nintendo wants to merge the portable and TV Consoles with the Switch. The only way they'll really be able to get the support the switch needs is to discontinue their money-printing device, Gameboy. Nintendo won't do that.

I think they absolutely need to stop using gimmicks.

I am not sure this portable Switch is going to be a huge seller for many reasons. One, damage. Kids drop shit ... a lot. Another portable on top of an already very popular portable? Parents are expected to replace their kids portable with .... another portable? Under powered? The biggest thing for me is battery life. So, I'm supposed to only be able to play for a few hours at a time between hour long recharges? Limited support for games? A lot of devs are coming out and saying it's not powerful enough. Sure they can port indie games all day long but how does that make the Switch alluring and special?

The more I look at this Switch business from all angles the more I think it's going to be a bust.

The would have done much better with an in-depth and extension launch library of all their classics, a more robust piece of hardware giving more Devs options. I will leave the portable aspect of the console up to debate.

I think they absolutely need to stop using gimmicks.

I am not sure this portable Switch is going to be a huge seller for many reasons. One, damage. Kids drop shit ... a lot. Another portable on top of an already very popular portable? Parents are expected to replace their kids portable with .... another portable? Under powered? The biggest thing for me is battery life. So, I'm supposed to only be able to play for a few hours at a time between hour long recharges? Limited support for games? A lot of devs are coming out and saying it's not powerful enough. Sure they can port indie games all day long but how does that make the Switch alluring and special?

The more I look at this Switch business from all angles the more I think it's going to be a bust.

The would have done much better with an in-depth and extension launch library of all their classics, a more robust piece of hardware giving more Devs options. I will leave the portable aspect of the console up to debate.

Yeah, I think even here they are falling back on their old success stories.

The original Game Boy was a huge win for them, but that was back when portables were kind of a joke, and the Game Boy was a new thing, an actual system with replaceable cartridges, not just another Donkey Kong Jr. single game black LCD portable.

Today, there are lots of portable gaming alternatives, and most people have phones or tables which are general purpose and can run games. Why would someone buy yet another device for portable gaming needs? It would REALLY need to stand out, IMHO, and I'm not convinced the Switch does.

I have to give Reggie credit: He's doing a good job with promoting the Switch and talking about points with it. It's a pity that NOJ is the one in charge of everything though since they seem entirely incompetent at promoting the system.

The Wii-U is a big miss, i'm not expecting the switch to be some amazing comeback. What made the nes and snes great (and even the n64) was the 3rd parties that did a fantastic job in their console. if nintendo keeps ignoring it's roots, they are doomed to fail. Just like sega.

‘What Nintendo does for the industry is important. It’s what we take pride in,’ he said, referring to Nintendo’s role as the innovator of the gaming world. ‘Innovating the world of video games, pushing the industry forwards… and a big part of that is by creating unique hardware that allows for more unique gaming experiences. The biggest and most obvious example of this is the Wii, which introduced a tracking system and accelerometer, and made gaming more than just the press of a button. We did this all at a price point that most families could afford. By taking a risk, Nintendo was able to introduce the world to a new way of playing. It made gamers out of people who had never touched a gaming console before.

One accidental success does more to damage a company than, one failure, if they keep trying to repeat the accident.

Sure it's a point of pride. But Pride comes before a fall.

A little humble pie would get them a lot more cash. Most money isn't made on console sales, it is made on game sales. Fine if Nintendo want's to keep trying to have another happy accident, but they should wise up and sell their games to >60 Million people that own XBO/PS4. That could finance their misadventures in console land for years to come.

Nintendo is bad at making modern software as well. At one point almost the entire Wii U lineup was behind schedule. It could be a total mess if they try using someone else's platforms.

Nintendo is bad at making modern software as well. At one point almost the entire Wii U lineup was behind schedule. It could be a total mess if they try using someone else's platforms.

this and they keep remaking last generations games for the current generation system. They are already doing that with switch just by adding some random new features.

Too many people look at Nintendo through nostalgia-laden rose colored glasses. They aren't complete screw ups, but they have so many mid-30's apologists and internal yes-men that they're no longer looking at things intelligently.

The Wii-U is a big miss, i'm not expecting the switch to be some amazing comeback. What made the nes and snes great (and even the n64) was the 3rd parties that did a fantastic job in their console. if nintendo keeps ignoring it's roots, they are doomed to fail. Just like sega.

Its funny that what made the Wii U a flop is now being repeated from Microsoft and Sony.

i'm pretty sure the switch will be nintendo's last console. They should have learned their lesson with the wii and wii u, but i guess they need to double down on stupid

Nintendo should keep making handheld consoles and eventually (1-3 generations?) push for a standardized set of PHYSICAL controls that developers can utilize for android/ios/future platforms. That is literally the only thing separating my mobile phone from being a powerful handheld console.

I think Mat Pat made the best comment at the end of the video, the idea of a "console" is dying out. Not saying its going to happen in the next couple of years but you can kind of notice a shift. A big stigma I have noticed between console gaming and PC gaming throughout the years is that console gaming is usually seen as "cool" when it comes to mainstream and PC gaming has always been seen as really nerdy. That is starting to shift slowly though, and I believe Nintendo is the first one (as of between Nintendo, PS, and XBox) to start really feeling the pressure of it all. Console generations aren't leaps and bounds anymore from generation to generation as they use to be by far, they are able to hold on because of exclusives and a lot of them are great games. The processing power and just the freedom of PC gaming is coming to light to the masses and that is going to change a lot of things.

Consoles are controlled environments. I don't buy into the whole console is dying out BS. So, where do all those billions in games go then? Phones? LMAO.

These consoles that are supposedly dying out are selling like hot cakes. In fact, looking at the numbers, there is record growth across the board more so than any point in history. Not my numbers, the numbers released by the console industry.

People want to talk about 'dying' out but they sure as hell don't talk a bout what's going to replace these gaming systems.

Sorry, but I do not trust my game quality to just anyone. People love PS4 and Sony because it comes all nearly wrapped in a package. Same with the Xbox and to a certain degree, the PC.

The PC just did over 30 billion in sales for the first time ever. If consoles are dying out, I'll tell you this, the PC Master Race will be here with open arms and a huge smirk on our faces.

Also, you guys need to start questioning things all on your own, go ahead, try it. It doesn't hurt.

Consoles are controlled environments. I don't buy into the whole console is dying out BS. So, where do all those billions in games go then? Phones? LMAO.

These consoles that are supposedly dying out are selling like hot cakes. In fact, looking at the numbers, there is record growth across the board more so than any point in history. Not my numbers, the numbers released by the console industry.

People want to talk about 'dying' out but they sure as hell don't talk a bout what's going to replace these gaming systems.

Sorry, but I do not trust my game quality to just anyone. People love PS4 and Sony because it comes all nearly wrapped in a package. Same with the Xbox and to a certain degree, the PC.

The PC just did over 30 billion in sales for the first time ever. If consoles are dying out, I'll tell you this, the PC Master Race will be here with open arms and a huge smirk on our faces.

Also, you guys need to start questioning things all on your own, go ahead, try it. It doesn't hurt.

I dont think anyone is denying their sales. Like, there is no way around it, they fucking sell. He is talking about the "idea" behind consoles, because they are pretty much low-medium to medium (if that) range computers with how much they do nowadays....when PC's have been doing this and more for years and years now.

And this is honestly a legitimate question, what are we suppose to question on our own? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Sometimes it seems like this board is filled with split personalities or at least just a general inability to appreciate pretty much anything.

If Apple doesn't come out with something no one has ever heard of before, it's failing to innovate and being a copy-cat. Most successful company (and US based) yet doomed to fail.

Yet, Nintendo, who is constantly coming up with new ideas, are just gimmicky. Also one of the most successful (gaming) companies (Japan based) yet also predicted to fail by the all knowing netizens of [H].

It's as if people don't understand how innovation occurs. There are probably thousands of ideas that flop before a single hit sweeps the globe. The fact that companies like Apple or Nintendo have had multiple global hits is phenomenal in an of itself. Most companies are lucky to have one success story. I mean to say most companies don't even have one global success story and the two companies that get the most shit in these forums have had global hits over decades.

These consoles they're making aren't even flops. They're doing exactly what Nintendo expects them to do and selling to families with kids, in particular. Every family I know with kids owns and loves Nintendo products. That's aside from the fact that he's exactly right--they made motion controlled games popular and then XBOX and PS3 blockbustered the idea. So what though? I bought a PS3 with a ton of motion equipment and I can't sell it all and buy a Nintendo system or trade straight across. Years after the fact I'd be much better off with the Nintendo system. I'd still be playing some Mario or Zelda games, that's a certainty. If I bother to dust off my PS3 I don't know what I'd do with it other than use the exercise apps or rockband which weren't really updated for the PS4.

As a consumer I'd like them to just go multiplatform but they're not stupid. It's like asking Valve to get rid of Steam lol. They'd go under a few years after they stop making consoles.

Yes the wii was a success because of what it did. And the whole standing up and flailing about let down the guard of those people who thought that games were for lazy fatsos. The switch does nothing that the wii did, well, you can gather around and sit in front of a screen outside, yay outside! ? Those 3rd party games mentioned, skyrim, etc, well you can already play all of those on a better platform right now, and for the last several years. Everyone has already played them. Face it, the only reason people will buy the switch, which is very expensive btw, not affordable at all, is just to play the new Zelda game in the traditional console environment, (pro controller, one large TV in the lounge room). That's it. And they won't even be getting the 1080p experience due to the hardware letting it down for that title. It's already a failure.

What Nintendo do kids love? The 3ds is what they love because that's where pokemon games are. Buy a few 3ds instead of one switch, it's a no brainer.

Yes the wii was a success because of what it did. And the whole standing up and flailing about let down the guard of those people who thought that games were for lazy fatsos. The switch does nothing that the wii did, well, you can gather around and sit in front of a screen outside, yay outside! ? Those 3rd party games mentioned, skyrim, etc, well you can already play all of those on a better platform right now, and for the last several years. Everyone has already played them. Face it, the only reason people will buy the switch, which is very expensive btw, not affordable at all, is just to play the new Zelda game in the traditional console environment, (pro controller, one large TV in the lounge room). That's it. And they won't even be getting the 1080p experience due to the hardware letting it down for that title. It's already a failure.

What Nintendo do kids love? The 3ds is what they love because that's where pokemon games are. Buy a few 3ds instead of one switch, it's a no brainer.

Skyrim was a bad example IMO. Sure, it's an older game. Sure there are machines that can play it better AT HOME. However, a METRIC FUCK TON of people still play it every day, and who knows how many REBOUGHT it with a slight upgrade just a couple of month ago. People like Bethesda games. People still play Morrowind for fucks sake. So, being able to wander around what is essentially an open world and keep doing whatever it is that people keep doing in Skyrim to this day, but while you're travelling for work, sitting in a hotel room after a day of exploring or sitting on beaches on vacation, riding a bus to work, or whatever, actually seems pretty cool, if you're one of the MILLIONs of people that are still playing Skyrim or the like in the first place. The rest of your comment is up for debate, I just wanted to point out that Skyrim on a portable is still a pretty big deal.

The problem for Nintendo is that due to the mobile device revolution, casuals and non-gamers have gone over to smartphones and tablets, and they are never coming back to consoles. They will never be able to repeat the success of the Wii.

I love how anyone that likes Nintendo systems and Nintendo games are automatically "30-something apologists". Really? People can't just enjoy their hardware and software for what it is? I had some hopes that didn't come about with the Switch. I was really hoping it would be Pascal, and pack a surprising amount of power. Well, that didn't happen. Disappointing? Maybe. However, it still has a Maxwell Tegra, which is not really a slouch. Just across the way in the Nvidia Shield threads, there isn't a single negative comment. Phrases like "best hardware purchase I've ever made" are floating around the thread (my own included). And NOT just because it plays video well. It's got a surprising amount of performance for something so tiny. Unfortunately, it's not also a portable device. Anyway, back to Nintendo for a sec. I love Nintendo's games, and have enjoyed every single platform they've ever built to run them on. (well VB not-withstanding, well, even that was kind of cool, just not at the price, and with the physiological issues many people had playing it...) I love playing Mario games, love MK, Zelda, Paper Mario, Mario Golf, etc. etc. Does that make me an apologist, or does that just mean I have different taste in games? What does that make someone who "just wants Nintendo's games on another system?!?" Anyone complaining that these are the same franchises that have always been available on Nintendo, and then saying that other consoles' third party games are what make them great are just plain ridiculous. So the 19th Ubisoft clone sequel is somehow what makes the other consoles great? There are some great 3rd party games, (my Ubisoft example was deliberately cherry-picked obviously) but what are these other consoles doing that's so great? Most of their exclusive games that actually DO make them great, are either first or second party, or some closely tied third party. It's not much different than the landscape with Nintendo's games. The other consoles have power to spare (in comparison to recent Nintendo systems) and I'd still rather play the Nintendo systems. At least they play games that aren't available on the other systems. I think most of us here have PCs. Most of us here even have multiple consoles from multiple generations. Most of use are enthusiasts, but we're somehow against something new and different that's game-tech related, that actually does some cool things that nobody else can? That's kind of odd if you ask me.

You may or may not like this or that "gimmick" or "innovation" depending on your perspective, but they pull these things off well. The motion aiming in Zelda using the Wii U game pad is fluid and accurate, and nothing like trying to fumble a tricky arrow shot with a thumb-stick. Having your map and inventory on a little screen was also cool. I think the DS/3DS have had some of the biggest gimmicks of Nintendo's portfolio, and look how they sell... Somebody's buying them, and compared to other portables available now (like Sony's which by the way has ZERO support) are EXTREMELY underpowered. The 3DS if we just take its CPU and GPU (I use those terms loosely here, are an absolute joke, and people absolutely love playing them, and their games and they sell millions upon millions of them. If you ask me, the actual graphical abilities on the 3DS are a step or two above an N64 (and only in some ways).

In the case of the Wii U, they REALLY marketed it wrong, or it probably would have done better. Sure a little extra horsepower would have been nice, but I think just being comparatively underpowered to the XBOne and PS4 wasn't the only thing keeping devs back, because there are games on it that are stunning to look at, even compared to some XBOne and PS4 games. It was still on Power PC architecture though, which while the other consoles both had similar architectures, AND similar to the PC, that made it REALLY easy to cash in on three platforms without any additional effort.

That said, Reggie's responses were kind of half-assed, and kind of skirted around the questions people had. Some of his answers really were spot on though. Where did gamepads come from? (or at least, who popularized them?) That's right Nintendo. People were still using one button pistol-grip joysticks and using the UP direction for jumping on other systems. Ok, so the top-spinning robot... :D Maybe not so much a game-changer. hehehe Anyway, there really isn't another portable with this kind of power that's completely game-centric, and has its mfg standing behind it 100%. Sony? Nope. They let the Vita rot. Apple? Nope, it's not centered around games, and its support for proper game controllers is questionable. Microsoft? Nope, they don't even have one. Nintendo's own 3DS? Well, it has support, and tons of games, and tons of owners, but it is NOT a powerful system, and certainly not anywhere near a home console. Does the Switch compare with other home consoles? Not entirely, no, but it does well enough to be welcome on my living room screen, on top of being a powerful portable. Some people may not need two in one (even I don't really) but it's still pretty cool, and it's still something that I'd like to buy, and play games on.

I guess if that makes me an apologist, then I'm happy to be one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem for Nintendo is that due to the mobile device revolution, casuals and non-gamers have gone over to smartphones and tablets, and they are never coming back to consoles. They will never be able to repeat the success of the Wii.

This is actually fairly true. However there are still close to 60 million 3DSes out there... Not too bad for being a fairly game-focused device. Looks like there's still enough people out there that want a "real" portable gaming device, and know the difference.

When someone mentions the phrase video games, I think of Steam, not Nintendo :p

I think of both. AND other consoles. AND emulated classics. AND portables. AND computers that aren't PCs. I guess when I think of the phrase "video games" I think, throw any game at me that's fun, make the hardware or software necessary to play it available to me, and I will get and play the hell out of it. :D

(but yeah, I spend most of my game time in Steam on PCs and on Nintendo consoles and portables...)

Or:

I only need to know one thing. Where. They. Are. :stop: <---pretend he's making a gun gesture...

Give me a few good exclusives and I'm in... along with Skyrim which I've never played

Give me a few good exclusives and I'm in... along with Skyrim which I've never played and would love to do so on-the-go or on those long airplane rides (seats have USB power)

I'd like to see some additional exclusives, even timed, that aren't anywhere else. Especially some non-N ones. Nintendo games are honestly enough for me, my family, and many friends, but that doesn't mean that I don't want more. Also, the more ports the better IMO. Even though some maybe be older games, they probably still were never on a portable platform. This is kind of a unique case in this regard though admittedly. I normally wouldn't be saying "more ports". :D

I also don't see why indie games are looked down on. Maybe at one point one could make arguments against some of them, but now? There are some REALLY excellent indie games that may not rival big budget games on production, but definitely on fun. There's a good indie thread rolling right now in the PC games forum (IIRC about which forum). I've spent more time in Hyper Light Drifter and Axiom Verge than I have in most recent FPSes. (even the ones I've enjoyed with the exception of Doom)

I think that's kind of their thing though. Just throw something out there that will catch people's attention, then dump it immediately and move on to the next. I mean look how many portable/handheld systems they've made in past 15+ years. It's insane because there's a new one almost every year. http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_handhelds

Genuine question , why do they insist on being behind in graphics fildelity , speed,etc overall ?

It's not like the Switch is going to be cheap in any way especially by the time you add accessories , so why not put 50-100 more onto the cost of the main console and actually be up to date with the network / graphics / etc department.

The die hard fans who are going to buy it for the games regardless will still buy it , and you'd likely pickup more buyers who want 1080p , real online etc.

Just curious if they've ever given a reason they always design their hardware to be "behind" at launch.

I think that's kind of their thing though. Just throw something out there that will catch people's attention, then dump it immediately and move on to the next. I mean look how many portable/handheld systems they've made in past 15+ years. It's insane because there's a new one almost every year. http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_handhelds

That's true. However, to be fair, many of them were minor refreshes, alternative models with different sizes and price ranges, and many (but not all) were backwards compatible with even physical cartridges. I think there was a more natural progression in the portable market to try to catch up to console levels of power and game sophistication. There were others like the Turbo Express, but it had horrible battery life, and was very expensive. Nintendo has always gotten the battery-life vs. power vs. game library thing right.

Genuine question , why do they insist on being behind in graphics fildelity , speed,etc overall ?

It's not like the Switch is going to be cheap in any way especially by the time you add accessories , so why not put 50-100 more onto the cost of the main console and actually be up to date with the network / graphics / etc department.

The die hard fans who are going to buy it for the games regardless will still buy it , and you'd likely pickup more buyers who want 1080p , real online etc.

Just curious if they've ever given a reason they always design their hardware to be "behind" at launch.

IMO they should have waited an extra 6-9 months and used Pascal. That would have outperformed base level PS4s and XBOnes most likely. However, and this is just my opinion, it likely came down to timing. They wanted to get this out there sooner than later due to poor Wii-U sales, and the Maxwell Tegra is what they had to work with at the time. I don't really think it's a bad thing overall, but it would have been really cool to say "look, it's more powerful than the XBOne and PS4, AND it's portable." I just don't think the timing and hardware was there when they started developing it. It's kind of a risk you take I guess. I suppose they could have prototyped on Maxwell, waited for Pascal, then had an additional testing period, then released. I'd have been fine to wait another half year to a year. I love new hardware, and love better specs more than worse specs, but in Nintendo's case, I really think it just doesn't matter as much. I'd love a Nintendo console with more power, sure, but in the end it probably doesn't matter that much, since it's not competing in the same exact fields with PC, XB, PS. (and honestly, if they JUST tried to compete in that arena I don't know how much of a chance they'd have purely based on how long those markets have been dominated by MS, Sony, and the PC) The Gamecube was the last time they competed like that. Its hardware was superior, but it was still outsold by MS and Sony.

IMO they should have waited an extra 6-9 months and used Pascal. That would have outperformed base level PS4s and XBOnes most likely. However, and this is just my opinion, it likely came down to timing. They wanted to get this out there sooner than later due to poor Wii-U sales, and the Maxwell Tegra is what they had to work with at the time. I don't really think it's a bad thing overall, but it would have been really cool to say "look, it's more powerful than the XBOne and PS4, AND it's portable." I just don't think the timing and hardware was there when they started developing it. It's kind of a risk you take I guess. I suppose they could have prototyped on Maxwell, waited for Pascal, then had an additional testing period, then released. I'd have been fine to wait another half year to a year. I love new hardware, and love better specs more than worse specs, but in Nintendo's case, I really think it just doesn't matter as much. I'd love a Nintendo console with more power, sure, but in the end it probably doesn't matter that much, since it's not competing in the same exact fields with PC, XB, PS. (and honestly, if they JUST tried to compete in that arena I don't know how much of a chance they'd have purely based on how long those markets have been dominated by MS, Sony, and the PC) The Gamecube was the last time they competed like that. Its hardware was superior, but it was still outsold by MS and Sony.
The plans and designs were probably finalized almost a year ago. It would of probably cost Nintendo a great deal of money to change it up cause I am sure they had Nvidia contracted to make a bunch of GPUs already or Nvidia gave them a good deal on Maxwell Tegra GPUs to finally clear out their stock. They should of just went the PS4/Xbone route and made a console using mostly standard computer chips and would of made 3rd party developers happy.

So 9:45 in that video. Reggie's argument for hardware is creating a safe space for gaming, a positive gaming experience. So Nintendo is the SJW of gaming? Huh? What? Seriously? Reggie stop doing so much coke, it's rotting your brain. Reggie also flat out lies about 3rd party support, they have done it before. Shitty chopped and screwed ports of full game engines don't count Reggie, remember the bastard COD games on the Wii? Stuff like that is what I mean. The Switch is a legitimate replacement for the 3DS, it is not a home console.

Could somebody with a little sense explain to me what the hell is "innovative" about the Switch? It's a Shield tablet with Nintendo games. In other words, not only are there tablets that can play games all over the place (even my retired mother games on two tablets - Android and IOS) but even a dedicated gaming tablet is nothing new. Hooking it up to a TV also isn't innovative.

The only thing truly innovative about the Switch is their plan to offload a large portion of the online experience to a separate device, and that's some really shitty innovation.

Back