Nintendo World Championships cartridge FOUND!

giphy.gif

I don't get collecting old technology. I really don't except for some reason I hoard smartphones.

$100K for the gold one, the gray ones are the lesser of the two.

No. The gold ones don't even go for that much. The 100k one was a very early mario brothers cartridge with was unopened. It was the ONLY one known to exist. It was pre- cellophane wrapped. It was a test market launch and nintendo said to retailers "We won't charge you to put these in stores" So it was a very risky move as many retailers were leery of anymore game consoles since the 1983 crash.

Now there was a gold cart back in 2014 but I thought it was shilled up to 100,000. I do know kelsey personally and I can ask around. This is part of my side job and I thought I knew alot about videogame stuff until I ran with this crouwd.

However, a gold cart might command 100,000 or more now. It's a weird world we live in.

As others have said these are still pretty incredibly rare, though the grey/white label cart is much less so than the gold ones. I always found it interesting that the legit ones have little dip-switches physically on the cartridge, allowing settings and whatnot to be saved/purged/changed. Very unusual for a NES cart of that era to have them but a rational choice given their specific use. I can't remember, were these championships played on a "real" NES with these cartridges, or were they cartridges used in an altered arcade console like a PlayChoice10?

As others have said these are still pretty incredibly rare, though the grey/white label cart is much less so than the gold ones. I always found it interesting that the legit ones have little dip-switches physically on the cartridge, allowing settings and whatnot to be saved/purged/changed. Very unusual for a NES cart of that era to have them but a rational choice given their specific use. I can't remember, were these championships played on a "real" NES with these cartridges, or were they cartridges used in an altered arcade console like a PlayChoice10?

The gold carts were sent out as a drawing from nintendo power right, they weren't played on anything really. Kind of a shitty prize for a 10 year old at the time, i would have trashed it.

It will be interesting to see how retro games hold their value. Value is in its prime right now because 30-somethings now have careers and money, and are looking to buy their childhood games. In another 20 or so years the next generation will have their own retro games. Most people in that new generation couldn’t care less about games or systems that came out well before they were born.

Honestly it boggles my mind how a piece of plastic with some chips can sale for so much. Same thing with comic boo
It will be interesting to see how retro games hold their value. Value is in its prime right now because 30-somethings now have careers and money, and are looking to buy their childhood games. In another 20 or so years the next generation will have their own retro games. Most people in that new generation couldn’t care less about games or systems that came out well before they were born.
Yep this new gen are practically born with a cell phone in their hand. It will be the only computer device they will use. Those freemium game companies will make so much bank off those kid cause it is the only thing they grew up knowing sadly.

Back