Nintendo Wii U

Pretty confusing conference in my book. They didn't show the new console itself just the controller. It sounds more like Vaporware atm then actual hardware.

They detailed that the controller was not doing any of the computing. The processor and video capabilities are housed in the central hardware and then transmitted to the controller. They claim it's latency free.

Unfortunately we're at least a year away before at least MS does. IMO, they should have done at last year's E3 what Nintendo is doing now.

I see M$ defenitly throwing out its next console for sure by 2013-2014 most likely. Sony will be right behind. Usually when M$ rumors new console, Sony jumps right behind them.

I do see the WiiU having a hold on the market for at least a year, year and a half.

The new "controller" looks horrible for actual use. Analog sticks at the very top, buttons right below the analog sticks. You'll have to hold it awkwardly to use the dual sticks, then you'll actually have to move your entire hand to hit one of the buttons instead of just your thumb.

Pretty confusing conference in my book. They didn't show the new console itself just the controller. If the rumors that the new console runs off a quad core ARM chip I guess that controller could be the console. Now if the rumors are its a 3core IBM PPC w/ ATi R700 then where is the magic box ?

I think Nintendo needs a 2nd press conference to explain what is what. E3 was suppose to answer questions not make them.

Those details will probably be released later. This is just to introduce the new console and you have to show the general public something that they are actually interested in, or something that means something to them.

The public isn't going to understand whats ARM, quad core, what GPU and all the technical mumbo jumbo. They are not going to see the significance of the hardware spec.

But seeing what that controller does is the thing that will generate interest

Unfortunately we're at least a year away before at least MS does. IMO, they should have done at last year's E3 what Nintendo is doing now.

What? Why? Both consoles still have a ton of life left.

They detailed that the controller was not doing any of the computing. The processor and video capabilities are housed in the central hardware and then transmitted to the controller. They claim it's latency free.

This

I dont think they are going to stand up on stage and say all the details of the system.... I saw the system in the background on almost all the pictures, so we need to find out.

Let's see what everyone thinks when they unveil pricing.

No way those controllers don't go for $100+ a piece. Yeah I know there's more than the usual bells and whistles with the inclusion of the touchscreen, but come on. A $100+ controller is still a $100+ controller. You can use a Wii controller, but who's going to want to use a regular Wii controller with this thing?

IMHO Nintendo still just doesn't get it. They lose for years and years on being generations behind on HW so now they're throwing the kitchen sink at the problem which consequently also increases the cost and adds features that people don't necessarily want (see also: waggle/motion controls).

Seems like a good enough idea. I'll want to see how it actually looks and plays games before jumping on the bandwagon for sure, but I like the premise of it.

Wait, so now I waggle a 6.5" tablet controller instead of a wiimote? :confused:

There are some features that will use the tablet, but the wii mote will be compatable with the Wii U, for instance, they had a shot where they laid the tablet on the ground and the golf ball was on screen and she stood above the tablet with a wii mote to swing the club.

Reggie from Nintendo is stopping in with the guys from Game Trailers TV next, so hopefully we will have some more information coming up.

No way those controllers don't go for $100+ a piece. Yeah I know there's more than the usual bells and whistles with the inclusion of the touchscreen, but come on. A $100+ controller is still a $100+ controller. You can use a Wii controller, but who's going to want to use a regular Wii controller with this thing?

IMHO Nintendo still just doesn't get it. They lose for years and years on being generations behind on HW so now they're throwing the kitchen sink at the problem which consequently also increases the cost and adds features that people don't necessarily want (see also: waggle/motion controls).

That controller in particular is one of several things I'm hoping is still basically at prototype phase. It's overkill in the wrong direction and I'm simply not seeing a certain ergonomic that you need for a good controller. At least with what media is available.

Just give us a nice, sturdy controller Nintendo. It doesn't have to practically be its own system. :)

So are all games going to be compatible with old Wii controllers or will some require that controller. Also any word on if the new console will still support the Gamecube controller? The only game I really care about is Smash Brothers and I only use the Gamecube controller for that.

That controller in particular is one of several things I'm hoping is still basically at prototype phase. It's overkill in the wrong direction and I'm simply not seeing a certain ergonomic that you need for a good controller. At least with what media is available.

Just give us a nice, sturdy controller Nintendo. It doesn't have to practically be its own system. :)

I don't think they would have shown it if it was still a prototype.
There's no sense in putting a smaller screen in it (especially after unveiling it with a large screen like so), so the controller in it's final phase is still going to be quite large (in controller terms). Nobody's going to want to spend 5+ hours holding a giant controller out in front of them or in their lap. In that regard, it's already a failure IMHO.

The largest handheld controller I can think of that I've ever used was the Jaguar controller. It was bulky, clumsy, and uncomfortable. At this point, the 360 pad is still (IMHO) the best controller. Why Sony and Nintendo don't design their controller around the 360 pad design is beyond me. Then again, Nintendo seems hell-bent on doing exactly the opposite of what most gamers would want because they still make billions, so whatever....more power to them. I'm done with Nintendo. At this point I was expecting a "Hail Mary" from them especially since the rumor mills were that they were going to earn back the "trust" of the "core gamer", when in fact, the only thing they've done (in that regard) to give me any hope is to get a lot of 3rd party support, RIGHT NOW at least. Big whoop. Every Nintendo system over the last few console generations has had 3rd party support for the first year or two; the longevity, however, is not there. Meanwhile this does nothing but show they decided to come up with an even more radical controller design, with the usual Nintendo flair and support (Mario, Zelda, etc etc et al ad naseum). Sorry, I still find no reason to buy another console, let alone another Nintendo console, when the new Nintendo console is only as powerful as the other 2 consoles that I already own. What's the incentive again? Oh, right ~ shiny new plastic. :rolleyes:

Sub 360 looking graphics.

Terrible, gimmick controller.

Total fail.

wow battlefield 3 on wii.

who would have guessed.

Fine the Wii U

Maybe the next console I will get.

My guess is that the video is transferred via Bluetooth to the new controller. It makes the most sense to me.

I seriously hope they get rid of the codes for online gaming, it's 2011 not 2001 for gods sake:mad:

Sub 360 looking graphics.

Terrible, gimmick controller.

Total fail.

What's funny...great comment I saw on joystiq.
Guy said something about how Nintendo fans before were all "graphics aren't important" when the Wii was the limit. Now that Nintendo's shown supposed HD graphics, well, those Nintendo fans are changing their tune and "now we have graphics, so GRAPHICS DO MATTER". LOL :D

Yeah I know the HW is supposedly based off a 360, yeah the screens are early shots...but I don't get the drooling over Zelda. It looks better than TP, but no one can say with a straight face that Zelda HD (whatever they call it) even looks anything close to a game like Gears of War (either of them) or even either Uncharted (on the Ps3 side). In that regard, I definitely agree that the graphics are sub-par. Definitely better than Wii, below what I expected though.

Graphics aside - I still can't get over the controller. Even if Kotaku says it's lighter than it looks. It's still a very large controller and holding it for extended periods of time is not going to be fun at all. :mad: Bottom line - the controller is a no-sell for me. And just wait until they start up with some games that come out that REQUIRE the touchscreen controller; you can BET on that happening. Hell there are already Wii games that require Motion+; does anyone believe they won't pull the same BS with this thing? :rolleyes:

My guess is this will be one of the first times you actually want to repair a broken controller. Usually in the past I just bought a new one but I can already see a button breaking and having to pop it open to repair it.

I agree though. I would not be surprised if they will mark these controllers at $150. I mean the original Wii controllers were like $30-40 IIRC.

With that said, there could be some cool possibilities with these lcd controllers. for some reason I see it as a cool way to integrate co-op type games. That or using it for table top games would be really cool imo. Its a nice way to give each player a way to view their inventory/items without disturbing the other player.

Wii U? Really? The code name was much better.. I guess the code name for the Wii was much better, too.

My biggest concern is that if the graphics don't blow us away now - we're going to be back in the same boat in a year or two when MS and Sony have their new systems on display.
There's not much to say until we see some games running. I want some awesome looking Nintendo franchise games, so I hope thing has some serious juice behind it.

Hrm, is this thing for real? I almost felt like the whole presentation was a Troll. Or else Nintendo really missed the mark.

Honestly I didn't watch it but overall from the comments here is seems "meh".

I want some awesome looking Nintendo franchise games, so I hope thing has some serious juice behind it.

I used to think this but I can only save the princess so many times before it becomes incredible boring. SM Galaxy 2 is one of the best platformers out there but it just felt like the same old thing. The only thing that gets me going are when games take me back to that sidescroll greatness (New Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country Returns etc).

im pretty puzzled by this...

another kind of controller again?

im very very puzzled....

I used to think this but I can only save the princess so many times before it becomes incredible boring. SM Galaxy 2 is one of the best platformers out there but it just felt like the same old thing. The only thing that gets me going are when games take me back to that sidescroll greatness (New Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country Returns etc).

100% agreed. I love NSMB and NSMBWii but what else is there?
I've said this a lot before but it bears repeating - I'm done with Mario. I've had enough of Mario. I've lost count of how many Mario games there has been since Mario Bros. but I've played damn near every single one of them, even the halfassed spinoffs like Wario Land (which was the same game). The other 2 constantly churned out Nintendo characters, Link and Samus, I can deal with still....but that is fading as well. Even though I've been fairly content with Metroid: Other M, it's still a poor comparison to the game it's trying to emulate, Super Metroid. Zelda I haven't really cared much about since Wind Waker and that was only because the cel-shading really gave the game a lot of extra life.

I'm really bored with the Nintendo broken record. I know I'm the minority, I know there are new Nintendo fans that haven't played 30 other Mario games before, but come on. A little more difference and ceasing the constant churning out of cookie cutter games would work wonders. :eek:

100% agreed. I love NSMB and NSMBWii but what else is there?
I've said this a lot before but it bears repeating - I'm done with Mario. I've had enough of Mario. I've lost count of how many Mario games there has been since Mario Bros. but I've played damn near every single one of them, even the halfassed spinoffs like Wario Land (which was the same game). The other 2 constantly churned out Nintendo characters, Link and Samus, I can deal with still....but that is fading as well. Even though I've been fairly content with Metroid: Other M, it's still a poor comparison to the game it's trying to emulate, Super Metroid. Zelda I haven't really cared much about since Wind Waker and that was only because the cel-shading really gave the game a lot of extra life.

I'm really bored with the Nintendo broken record. I know I'm the minority, I know there are new Nintendo fans that haven't played 30 other Mario games before, but come on. A little more difference and ceasing the constant churning out of cookie cutter games would work wonders. :eek:

And its this that makes me believe that Nintendo FINALLY getting third party collaberation might be in perfect timing. If it was the same old Mario I dont think I could go for this, but the fact that they are working with some other manufacturers to create some new things kinda makes it seem better now and almost worth taking the risk IN supporting nintendo

I did find out one more peice of news, it has been confirmed that the WiiU DOES NOT HAVE a blu-ray disc system, kinda figured this was gonna be confirmed to be false, but still would have been nice to see it true.

I don't think you're the minority one of the reasons I never jumped on Nintendo's ship was their tendency of releasing the same old crap every system they ever release. I bought a DS for the hardware and the third party games so I'm hoping for the best here with the WiiU

I have to say that I'm pretty fanboyish when it comes to nintendo, but this has left me very conflicted. I have so many more questions now. How much will the system/controller cost being the most pertinent. It looks like it has a lot of potential, but it also looks like it could fall flat on its face.

I'm still having a tough time wrapping my head around what it will be like when it actually comes out. As the saying goes, time will tell I suppose.

I'm not a giant fan of the Nintendo franchises on the whole, but I am an admitted Mario Kart addict and would love to play a Smash Brothers game (properly) online with my old college friends.
My wife does like the Mario and Zelda games, too.
I think my main hope with this system is that it's no longer the whipping boy for multi-platform ports AND I get my Nintendo must-haves, too.

My biggest concern is that if the system isn't significantly stronger than the PS3 and 360 that whenever the other new systems hit the Wii U port will be the worst...but will have some kind of lame tacked-on support for the LCD controller.

snip...

My biggest concern is that if the system isn't significantly stronger than the PS3 and 360 that whenever the other new systems hit the Wii U port will be the worst...but will have some kind of lame tacked-on support for the LCD controller.

That's another major concern I have. The 3rd party devs seemed pretty excited for it, but will the new controller just be an afterthought or will they really try to get the most out of it? Especially for cross platform games.

Throughout the week we are going to find out not only more about the WiiU itself, but also game support. I am really looking forward to seeing what Nintendo can pull out of its literal butt and show what it can really do.

That's another major concern I have. The 3rd party devs seemed pretty excited for it, but will the new controller just be an afterthought or will they really try to get the most out of it? Especially for cross platform games.

It sounded like the controller screen was mostly to take the place of split screen gaming. I could also see them putting instructions on the screen or something similar, but I doubt we'll be doing a whole lot with it.

IMO, it seems like an even bigger gimmick than motion controls. Sure, it's cool looking, but what the fuck are we going to do with it? It doesn't look comfortable to hold at all; you have to actually move your hand to hit buttions. It's lacking L3 and R3 buttons, which is pretty stupid. The standard controller layout doesn't have enough buttons, why remove two of them? I suppose they could add buttons on the screen, but from my experience with trying to control games on my touch screen phone, on screen buttons really don't work. It's too difficult to pinpoint exactly where they are without having to look at them. 90% of the time I end up hitting the wrong button or nothing at all.

Only time will tell how this works out, but I definitely won't be buying one unless we get some good 3rd party games.

Last edited:
It sounded like the controller screen was mostly to take the place of split screen gaming. I could also see them putting instructions on the screen or something similar, but I doubt we'll be doing a whole lot with it.

IMO, it seems like an even bigger gimmick than motion controls. Sure, it's cool looking, but what the fuck are we going to do with it? It doesn't look comfortable to hold at all; you have to actually move your hand to hit buttions. It's lacking L3 and R3 buttons, which is pretty stupid. The standard controller layout doesn't have enough buttons, why remove two of them?

Only time will tell how this works out, but I definitely won't be buying one unless we get some good 3rd party games.

I think the lineup of 3rd party games already confirmed is a good sign that some developers are really going to jump onboard.
Plus with rumors of BF3 and possible future games from EA, I think the WiiU may end up having incredible third party support.

On paper there's a ton that can be done with it. It can replace sub menu screens, it can map macros, and as seen with smartphones - you can likely play fully fleshed-out games down there. It could be the greatest RPG and hack 'n slash controller of all time.
The thing is, this is an era where most of the big releases are on all of the platforms. Those are going to be the instances where devs aren't going to spend much time to really do anything with that screen.
I forsee Nintendo either locking down a lot of exclusive titles, or there will be a bunch of games that have box art or some such nonsense on that screen.

Back