Nintendo Wii audio question and cables question

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
I own Sennheiser HD485's and want to use them with my Nintendo Wii, however, they accept one computer-style jack input, not two RCA red/white inputs. If I want to connect these to my Wii, what will I need to do to retain stereo sound? Will buying one of the little dongles that connects two into one make it work properly?

Also, will the U.S. version of the Wii come with an Svideo connection, and if not, any ideas on how much it would cost? What about a VGA cable and/or connection being available? Has anyone heard any news of that?

Thanks!

I know for a fact that the VGA/DVI shindig is not coming with the Wii any longer.

It was annouced silently at that September 14th conference.

As for the other two questions, I am not to sure.

Will the VGA output be able to be purchased seperately?

OUCH on $40 for the Svideo output... that's absurd, I may just use the stock composite at that kind of a going rate :(.

There will be the usual 3rd party cables for the Wii that will be much cheaper than the official ones or other "high-end" cables.

You can use an adaptor that converts the rca plugs into a 1/8" jack but remember there is no way to adjust the volume output this way. You might want to run them through a small headphone amplifier or other device (A/V reciever or computer speakers) with a headphone jack first. You could even use an adaptor and run them through the line-in of your computer.

Bingo. The audio outputs on the Wii will be line level, while headphones require, interestingly enough, a headphone level signal. A headphone amp is recommended.

How much do small headphone amps go for that won't muddle the sound to be unrecognizable? I really need to keep it "on the cheap" for that component.

GoldenTiger said:
What about a VGA cable and/or connection being available? Has anyone heard any news of that?
Nintendo dropped VGA support for the Wii. What you can do is buy the component cable and this for about $100 total. Of course, Nintendo has been silent on the subject of 480p (will every game support it? virtual console? wii channels?), so this solution may not work.

deekayex said:
Nintendo dropped VGA support for the Wii. What you can do is buy the component cable and this for about $100 total. Of course, Nintendo has been silent on the subject of 480p (will every game support it? virtual console? wii channels?), so this solution may not work.

LAME... VGA woulda been sweet :(.

Anyone know about the price/quality/model/brand etc. I would want for a headphone amp :)?

GoldenTiger said:
How much do small headphone amps go for that won't muddle the sound to be unrecognizable? I really need to keep it "on the cheap" for that component.
You can get battery-powered headphone amps for around $40 on Ebay. They're really intended for use with ipods and other portable devices, though. You can get a nice pair of PC speakers for around $100. I use Creative GigaWorks T20 with my HD 485s.

deekayex said:
You can get battery-powered headphone amps for around $40 on Ebay. They're really intended for use with ipods and other portable devices, though. You can get a nice pair of PC speakers for around $100. I use Creative GigaWorks T20 with my HD 485s.

By "cheap" I mean $30 or less heh :). I need it JUST for volume adjustment.

How would I go about doing that? I am not knowledgable about audio really ;)... and I don't solder. I also need it to combine the two jacks (red/white) from the Wii into one jack for the headphones.

(very very confused at what he needs to buy)

:(

(inserts Sad Panda picture here)

Hehe... anyone know of what products exactly I would need to buy to do this with? Also, how would the process for making the console's audio go into my X-fi and back out to my headphones work? Would there be any audio delay, or is it real-time? How is it configured?

You need an RCA female to mini jack female (unless your headphones has the female side) adapter. Radio shack should have something ;)

Darakian said:
You need an RCA female to mini jack female (unless your headphones has the female side) adapter. Radio shack should have something ;)

How would I adjust the volume, then :(? My headphones have the female side (input port), as well as a cable that comes with them for male connection.

GoldenTiger said:
How would I adjust the volume, then :(? My headphones have the female side (input port), as well as a cable that comes with them for male connection.
In game settings would probably be all you would have :(

does anyone know if best buy is doing the same preorder thing that gamestop/eb is doing, where they sell their expected stock of consoles before they get them so they don't have launch-night lines?

r_a_s88 said:
does anyone know if best buy is doing the same preorder thing that gamestop/eb is doing, where they sell their expected stock of consoles before they get them so they don't have launch-night lines?

Off-topic, but no, Best Buy is not doing any pre-orders for consoles.

Does anyone know a way of getting around the volume issue with a cable like Darakian is talking about? If all the games on consoles nowadays have a volume adjustment, I could live with it, but I'd prefer something external to that.

Also, how does piping it into the line-in of my X-fi work on my PC? Is it fairly easy? If so, I may just do that...

Yeah, you just get an adaptor like this 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA and plug it into your Line-In/Mic port. Then open up the control panel and un-mute the line-in, you don't have to use any additional programs or anything.

Also if you have the X-Fi Platinum, Fatality or Elite Pro you can directly plug it into the Bay panel/Breakout box without any adaptor.

squeezee said:
Yeah, you just get an adaptor like this 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA and plug it into your Line-In/Mic port. Then open up the control panel and un-mute the line-in, you don't have to use any additional programs or anything.

Also if you have the X-Fi Platinum, Fatality or Elite Pro you can directly plug it into the Bay panel/Breakout box without any adaptor.

Wow, that's it? AWESOME!! Thanks for the info :D!

squeezee said:

"Product ID # 666"
Is this an omen? :D

Back