Nintendo To Replace 3.2M Wii Straps

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nintendo said today that it will replace 3.2 million straps for the Wii remote. The recall will allow owners to exchange their current remote strap for one almost twice as thick.

The Wii's signature wand-like remote controller is used to mimic the motions of a tennis racket, golf club or sword, depending on the game. But soon after the Wii went on sale last month, people started reporting cases of the controller's strap breaking as they waved it about vigorously.

Anybody know how it's going to work???? The recall,I mean?????

Honestly, I think Nintendo is getting the shaft here. They put out an awesome, extremely fun console, and what do they get? Threats of lawsuits, etc, because people didn't read warnings or stop to think "Waving around this Wiimote without (or even with) a strap could end in Bad Things(TM)".

I'm assuming Nintendo would just mail replacement straps to people though. They have a pretty robust online store. (Component cables anyone?)

hahaha, all those tinfoil hat wearing peeps that have been going around screaming about conspiracy theories to get TV's paid for by Sony are probably feeling pretty dumb right now...

I had not thought that the "strap breaking" was such a widespread problem. At the same time, I wonder how I ever played Real-Life(TM) tennis without a strap on my wrist holding my racket?

drizzt81 said:
I had not thought that the "strap breaking" was such a widespread problem. At the same time, I wonder how I ever played Real-Life(TM) tennis without a strap on my wrist holding my racket?

umm some of these morons have never been exposed to actual real life physical activity besides sitting on their bums playing with a controller. this is a wake up call of the wide spread obesity in the US

Glad they are replacing this. I can't believe they didn't think of this before they shipped out.

drizzt81 said:

That's what I don't get...

I'm the Happy Gilmore of tennis, and I never once launched a racket unintentionally.

Still, it's good to see how quickly they issued a recall. I guess it's cheaper to do this, then be sued for injuries / damages.

I'm willing to bet that the straps are from a 3rd party manufacturer, since my friends Wii strap looks strikingly similar to my camera's wrist strap, which hasn't broken yet. Though, I don't go waving around my camera like a maniac.

I never hooked mine up. I could not stand the strap being on. Never lost the remote.

I am glad that they are offering stronger ones just in case, but really with almost 40 hours of play I have never needed the strap. I put it on just in case but really never felt that it was super important.

Anyone that flung the Wiimote around hard enough to break the wrist strap cannot blame anyone but themselves if doing so resulted in them damaging anything or themselves.Nintendo shouldn't be held responsible for people's "excitement" aka stupidity.There's no need to whip the Wiimote about playing Wii Sports.People ought to know better.They are playing a VIDEO GAME with a VIDEO GAME controler, NOT swinging a baseball bat or tennis racket.

I guess we shouldn't be surprized in today's day and age when the ammount of morons is larger than it ever has been at any point in history.

in defense of the "retards" (who better to defend them than I? ;) )

Every single Nintendo advertsiment and or demonstration up to this point shows someone going absolutely nuts with the controller: diving behind furniture, kung-fu, sword fighting, baseball...etc. etc. etc. people are using them as they have seen them used and are running into problems.

If you saw an ad like this you'd think it was supposed to be played that way...when in reality, this is closer to the truth.

I reserve the right to call "DUMBASS!" on anyone who f---s up a perfectly good plasma or LCD TV flinging the Wii remote around. It's just stupid.

YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME -- NOT BEATING DOWN FRIGGIN' MARIA SHARIPOVA IN TENNIS! [I also reserve the right to be wrong about the Wii tennis game -- I know diddly shit about it.]

Anyone who sues Nintendo for a TV THEY busted with their Wii remote should have the Nintendo Yakuza sent to their house to behead them a la Kill Bill Vol. 1 with Lucy Liu.

You have no excuse for getting that violent/nuts with the game controller. Just play calmly and enjoy the fact that your ass is no longer growing into your couch from console game inactivity. You won't end up the subject of an episode of House or Nip/Tuck 'cause Nintendo designers were nice enough to develop a game that helped you...

...HORRORS...

...exert yourself!

Sadly -- Nintendo WILL get sued, and our shithole justice system in the US will let some fatass kid who busted his dad's plasma TV WIN on the grounds of a defective strap. At which point, I'll reserve the right to call BULLSHIT AND DUMBASS.

IronChefMorimoto

Steve said:
in defense of the "retards" (who better to defend them than I? ;) )

Every single Nintendo advertsiment and or demonstration up to this point shows someone going absolutely nuts with the controller: diving behind furniture, kung-fu, sword fighting, baseball...etc. etc. etc. people are using them as they have seen them used and are running into problems.

If you saw an ad like this you'd think it was supposed to be played that way...when in reality, this is closer to the truth.

While true, I don't ever recall an Intel commercial feeding an Iguana a P4 to demonstrate "Intel Inside" ;)

even though I havent had any problems, I put in a request for 3 straps 'cause id rather be safe than sorry. Ive got three wiimotes and im counting on any new remote I buy to have the newer wrist strap.

If someone really mimic the ads (the one with the guy jumping behind the couch to hide in particular), then flinging the remote into the TV isn't the only thing that makes them look like a tard lol

Back