Nintendo to Offer Downloadable Versions for 3DS, Wii U

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
They say it’s very fashionable to be late to a function and Nintendo is just now getting to the digital distribution party behind the other major console manufacturers. An announcement was made on Friday that very soon the Nintendo online eShop will be offering 3DS and Wii U retail games for download.

In a statement provided to Joystiq, Nintendo clarified that a "majority" of first-party 3DS and Wii U games would be available as both retail and downloadable releases on launch day

One of the most irritating parts about this is the price. Everyone with half a brain knows that these downloaded titles will be the same price as retail. Publishers say that used game sales and piracy is are the reasons prices are so high. You can't resell a digital download, and you can't use piracy on a newly released console as an excuse, but these games will cost the same as the retail counterpart. I will not take part in this crap.

Does Nintendo still tie your purchases to the console rather than an account? With Wii and DSi purchases, if your system died, you were at their mercy whether or not you could get your purchased content moved over to your new console. If they're still trying to pull those shenanigans, there's not a chance in hell I would consider making a purchase on their online store.

If you have Wii points in you account, you can only use them on the Wii, i.e. no way to transfer them to a DS.
Even worse, it you bought points for you DSi, and later replaced it with a 3DS, you can't use your DSi points on your 3DS.

This is one area Sony got right with the Vita, PSN links between systems, and now that Sony leaked proof of a PS1 emu things can only get better

But on the 3DS side, thus is why I got a 32GB card, multiple retail games on the go? Check!!

Hopefully they follow Sony and all DL's are 5$'s cheaper at leaset

This is one area Sony got right with the Vita, PSN links between systems, and now that Sony leaked proof of a PS1 emu things can only get better

But on the 3DS side, thus is why I got a 32GB card, multiple retail games on the go? Check!!

Hopefully they follow Sony and all DL's are 5$'s cheaper at leaset

Why would you pay 5$ a game when you can get the entire PS1 line-up online?

I don't understand how people can get excited about paying for something I've had for free since 2005.

Anyone who saw the recent Ubisoft Rayman trailer for the Wii U will already be disgusted that you have to collect dolls with NFC chips in order to unlock features in games. The AssCreed doll at the end of the video don't exactly look cheap either. It doesn't seem to be related to DLC but basic unlocked content already present on the rom. I think they want to create and monetize some kind of obsessive compulsive Pokemon collecting fad, except with game character dolls instead of cards. I hardly believe that Ubisoft is the only one planning on doing this so expect some asshattery in Wii U content market.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSlccZt5O2o

Back