Nintendo to Launch SNES Mini This Year

How many games do you expect to see on Nintendo's SNES? 50ish? Which ones? Casuals want the 1st party titles and a couple popular ones, but what about all the amazing Square and Enix RPG's? Disney and Konami platformers? All the late-gen Mode 7 / 3d games? Capcom's megaman and fighter library? Koei's strategy/simulation lineup?

either way it'll be a hot resell item

I would imagine 30.

They'll have the standard fare, SMW, Yoshi Island, Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Zelda LttP, Starfox, DKC 1/2/3, Earthbound etc. As far as 3rd party games, likely some of the old Capcom ones like Street Fighter II, Breath of Fire 1&2 (I think Capcom owns the rights to 1, but not sure), Contra 3. Maybe some Konami games like Gradius. Maybe Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat. No idea who owns the rights to them since Midway doesn't exist.

I'd be surprised if they had Square Soft games though, and that's really going to kill it for me. I know Square Enix is still selling those games FFIV, FFVI, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger for about $10-20 a piece so I'm not sure they'd be willing to allow Nintendo to use them.

They'll probably throw in Soul Blazer to round off the RPG selection.

Just get this https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuf...1492699157&sr=8-3&keywords=snes+controller+pc
Download a free emulator, find free roms all over the net and start playing.

If it's for investment, then sure, buy 100.

The iBuffalo is decent, but it is far from ideal. The one I used had sticky D-pad from the beginning and the D-pad itself is sharper than I remember the original SNES controller, as it was quite uncomfortable on my left thumb. Rest of the pad works as intended.

I tried this version and it's a bit better on the Dpad, and don't play any worse than iBuffalo version, and bit cheaper too, but no idea if its available in the US or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Elecom-...ntendo-Entertainment-JC-FR08TWH-/262636016486

Personally, I would prefer an official SNES controller (first party if possible, 3rd party ones are usually worse) with a Mayflash USB adapter. Nothing beats the absolutely original controller for Emulation.

I got a Mayflash adapter for the Sega Saturn pad as all of the recent Sega Megadrive pad clones that have been out all have shoddy reviews regarding its durability, and the SNES pad layout really don't work for 6 action button layouts.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lol gofuckyourselfnintendo.

Get in line for one of 1,000 units being made.

Even if it was 60 bucks like the base price of the 8bit version, if they managed to get Chrono Trigger on the list I'd buy one.

Even if it was 60 bucks like the base price of the 8bit version, if they managed to get Chrono Trigger on the list I'd buy one.

Think Square-Enix (man I miss Squaresoft games) would play nice like that? I doubt it.

They MIGHT allow FF4 to be sold on the SNES classic, that version isn't available anymore IIRC, only the DS remake version is available.

FF5 and 6 though might be a stretch, as the facelift versions are still on android, still eagerly waiting on the remakes of those two, but with FF7 being their main focus atm, I'd be surprised if I'd see them before the end of this decade.

I hope they come in the Japanese style as I always liked the coloring of their controller and system. I doubt they will though.

I hope they come in the Japanese style as I always liked the coloring of their controller and system. I doubt they will though.

They released the Famicom mini in Japan with the NES mini so they probably will.

i guess this is either for stupid people who don't know about emulators or folks who really want to follow terrible ip laws.
Or maybe some investors who are waiting for Nintendo to make these then stop, then sell them on ebay for double or triple the price. That strategy is working for the switch so why not?

Or -- it's for the people who don't have the free time on the weekend to tinker with a Pi, and getting everything setup perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering and building cool things, between work and multiple home projects, there's just no time. There's easily a market for people like me who have no problem forking over some money for a plug and play package. Sometimes you just want to take it out of the box, hit the power button, and start playing.

Or -- it's for the people who don't have the free time on the weekend to tinker with a Pi, and getting everything setup perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering and building cool things, between work and multiple home projects, there's just no time. There's easily a market for people like me who have no problem forking over some money for a plug and play package. Sometimes you just want to take it out of the box, hit the power button, and start playing.
Why the hell do you need to tinker with a pi?
more than 10 years ago (i think it was developed in 1999) there existed snes9x, a open source emulator for practically every system/platform/os.
There's at last 4-5 emulators for snes that have been pretty popular since the 90s. All you have to do is search for them.
All the old systems and even some new ones have emulators for them that run windows/linux/whatever.

The iBuffalo is decent, but it is far from ideal. The one I used had sticky D-pad from the beginning and the D-pad itself is sharper than I remember the original SNES controller, as it was quite uncomfortable on my left thumb. Rest of the pad works as intended.

I tried this version and it's a bit better on the Dpad, and don't play any worse than iBuffalo version, and bit cheaper too, but no idea if its available in the US or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Elecom-...ntendo-Entertainment-JC-FR08TWH-/262636016486

Personally, I would prefer an official SNES controller (first party if possible, 3rd party ones are usually worse) with a Mayflash USB adapter. Nothing beats the absolutely original controller for Emulation.

I got a Mayflash adapter for the Sega Saturn pad as all of the recent Sega Megadrive pad clones that have been out all have shoddy reviews regarding its durability, and the SNES pad layout really don't work for 6 action button layouts.
Uhh ok. I mean i just did a quick amazon search and it was on the top of the list as an example. I didn't mean to say that's the best one or something.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw some folks who have used machines like that to play mobile Steam games.

If this thing ever becomes a reality (doubtful) i'll definitely get one.

I do use it to play Steam games too. Nothing too heavy, but I can get Grid Motorsport to run on it at modest settings. Tomb Raider too.

i guess this is either for stupid people who don't know about emulators or folks who really want to follow terrible ip laws.
Or maybe some investors who are waiting for Nintendo to make these then stop, then sell them on ebay for double or triple the price. That strategy is working for the switch so why not?

I want one of these NES/SNES Classics for my kids so I can plug it right in to the HDMI input in my SUV for another form of entertainment while on longer road trips (and to bring in the house so they can play it, as well). I'd love to go with a RetroPI instead (and seriously considered pulling the trigger on one of the kits on Amazon, when grabbing a NES Classic became an impossibility starting on day one), but they are still too young to figure out how to easily operate the RetroPI. Someday they will get there with my help, but they aren't at that point yet.

Fact of the matter is, various emulators have existed for decades. If Joe or Jane Schmoe could be easily persuaded to realize that implementing, configuring, and operating an emulator would meet their couch surfing gaming needs rather than a gaming console sporting a power button which provides instant gratification, then consoles would not have become the instant success they did starting way back with the Magnavox Odyssey. I really don't think it's fair to categorize my young kiddos (or anyone else) as "stupid" or blatantly giving in to "terrible IP practices" based on their naturally lower level of understanding/competency for simply lacking the experience/knowledge required to get an emulator built/installed, configured, and running...

With that being said, I have never been fond of gaming consoles because of the overall cost of ownership: console, accessories, individual games, etc...then all that goes down the drain after a short while because a new version emerges and the spending cycle starts all over again from ground zero. A PC simply made more sense to me since I can do a hell of a lot more with it than just playing games (aside from the fact that I can still get about 90% of all games I'm interested in from PC history working on my newer hardware/OS with just a little bit of effort if/when needed).

The difference here is that these "Classic" consoles have a plethora of games built in, so there's no need to dump ass loads of money building a game collection or fiddle-fuck with an emulator to enjoy them, making them a perfect device that is something "new" (heh) for my kids to experience, aside from their usual array of repetitive/rehashed Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds type tablet games and Netflix shows.

I want one of these NES/SNES Classics for my kids so I can plug it right in to the HDMI input in my SUV for another form of entertainment while on longer road trips (and to bring in the house so they can play it, as well). I'd love to go with a RetroPI instead (and seriously considered pulling the trigger on one of the kits on Amazon, when grabbing a NES Classic became an impossibility starting on day one), but they are still too young to figure out how to easily operate the RetroPI. Someday they will get there with my help, but they aren't at that point yet.

Fact of the matter is, various emulators have existed for decades. If Joe or Jane Schmoe could be easily persuaded to realize that implementing, configuring, and operating an emulator would meet their couch surfing gaming needs rather than a gaming console sporting a power button which provides instant gratification, then consoles would not have become the instant success they did starting way back with the Magnavox Odyssey. I really don't think it's fair to categorize my young kiddos (or anyone else) as "stupid" or blatantly giving in to "terrible IP practices" based on their naturally lower level of understanding/competency for simply lacking the experience/knowledge required to get an emulator built/installed, configured, and running...

With that being said, I have never been fond of gaming consoles because of the overall cost of ownership: console, accessories, individual games, etc...then all that goes down the drain after a short while because a new version emerges and the spending cycle starts all over again from ground zero. A PC simply made more sense to me since I can do a hell of a lot more with it than just playing games (aside from the fact that I can still get about 90% of all games I'm interested in from PC history working on my newer hardware/OS with just a little bit of effort if/when needed).

The difference here is that these "Classic" consoles have a plethora of games built in, so there's no need to dump ass loads of money building a game collection or fiddle-fuck with an emulator to enjoy them, making them a perfect device that is something "new" (heh) for my kids to experience, aside from their usual array of repetitive/rehashed Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds type tablet games and Netflix shows.
well if you already have a tablet, then there's this:
http://en.apps4chromecast.com/chromecast-snes-emulator-2/
hook yourself up with a bluetooth android controller and there's no need for this box.
But yeah, to each their own. I figure there's a bunch of people who just would rather plug it in and be done with it.
There's no need to go all pi on this and build your own little box when you already have the hardware to do it on a smartphone/tablet.

Those cheap android boxes you can buy online work perfect for this, I set one up in my living room with a few xbox 360 controllers connected to a usb hub and it works awesome. I also setup kodi as the front end so all the have to do is pick the system and it launches it then select the game from a list and off it goes. Depending on your kids age it is easy enough for them to operate after its setup for ease of use, my 8 year old and 4 year old can operate it without any help from me. Ive had them wake me up at 6am to the sound of laughter as they were playing mario kart 64 lol, and the awesome part is the system can be powered by usb which make it super easy to bring with you. Mine has 2 usb ports so 1 goes to my hub and the controllers and the other goes to my receivers usb port and draws power from that then 1 hdmi cable and its good to go.

When they turn it on it auto launches kodi and this is what they see:

Screenshot_20170115-095321.png Screenshot_20170319-145920.png Screenshot_20170313-110702.png Screenshot_20170319-145900.png Screenshot_20170319-150356.png Screenshot_20170319-145820.png

I just got the 8bitdo fc30 pro... smaller than I expected but after a few minutes got used to the size and shoulder button placement and it really feels great... high quality stuff for sure...

Back