Nintendo Takes Down Fan-Made Metroid 2 Remake

HardOCP News

[H] News
I honestly don't understand why Nintendo had to hit these guys with a DMCA takedown notice. It's a game made by Metroid fans, for Metroid fans and it was free. :(

Thirty years ago, Nintendo released its action-adventure game Metroid on the Famicom platform. This Saturday, to coincide with the anniversary, a group of game makers pooled their resources and released their AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) game, for free. In response, Nintendo sent in the lawyers.

It's a shame Nintendo did what they did, but they have every legal right to do it. Copyright laws need to change.

read online it is some random guy pretending to be nintendo that sent out the DMCA. theres a few articles online too.

edit: seems its legit.

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone releases Nintendo fan games, this happens every single time.

read online it is some random guy pretending to be nintendo that sent out the DMCA. theres a few articles online too.

Hoping this is the case, as I haven't downloaded the tribute game yet (videos looked terrific.) I'm sure a real DMCA takedown will happen shortly following Nintendo's track record.

I don't understand why anyone releases Nintendo fan games, this happens every single time.

Yar, especially after devoting that much time to the project. Too bad Nintendo doesn't take the Sega approach and hire them to work on an official release (as Sega did with Sonic Mania).

Metroid Database is not the primary place for AM2R, but the official site for the project ( Project AM2R - Another Metroid 2 Remake ) just dropped their links as well. This has been in active development for 6 years without Nintendo doing a thing, even with multiple demos. While it's in the big N's right to do this, I'm going to say fuck them this time until they actually make a new non-spinoff Metroid game.

I honestly don't understand why Nintendo had to hit these guys with a DMCA takedown notice. It's a game made by Metroid fans, for Metroid fans and it was free.
Because fans doing their job for them makes them look bad.

Well I would call this one a success story, it actually got released. Even if it's been DMCA's, the cat's out of the bag. What are they going to do, take it off bit torrent?

Nintendo should now release a new trailer for Metroid Prime: Federation Force to really throw salt on the wounds of Metroid fans.

That sucks. It looks pretty slick. If they aren't charging for it why does Nintendo care so much?

Looks ok but the mood/tone/music is all wrong. Metroid is supposed to make you feel alone, isolated, creeped out, dare I say depressed. Example:

Looks ok but the mood/tone/music is all wrong. Metroid is supposed to make you feel alone, isolated, creeped out, dare I say depressed. Example:

I'm not arguing that's not the ideal, but I think he was trying to stay true to Metroid 2. Plus, you're cherry picking. I mean let's compare against the starting level music of Metroid:

Not exactly isolating, creeped out, and depressed.

65147279.jpg

Funny, because I downloaded the zip today. Either they didn't listen to the notice, or there never WAS a notice and it was just for attention.

Funny, because I downloaded the zip today. Either they didn't listen to the notice, or there never WAS a notice and it was just for attention.

Downloaded earlier today, too, but the page I got it from @ their blogspot is gone as I type this...

It's pretty badass. I grabbed it right away as I expected it to fall. Just bought an Xbox One Wireless Adapter for my PC for it. It's only a 73MB zip file. I check my PMs, just sayin.

Yep. As soon as I saw the news about this in the trending box on Facebook, I knew it was going to get a DMCA notice. Glad I snagged a copy when I could. Very nicely done.

You don't understand why Nintendo would do that? For one, Nintendo has an eshop where they sell several similar Metroid games, such as Super Metroid. This game given away for free could be expected to take sales away from Nintendo because it competes with those games directly.

How is SMBX so huge and has been around for so long, but this small project gets cut so quickly?

Too bad Nintendo doesn't take the Sega approach and hire them to work on an official release (as Sega did with Sonic Mania).
Back in 2011 SEGA did order the Streets of Rage Remix fan project taken down though (after it was completed and released): Bombed: SEGA On Streets Of Rage Shutdown

But yeah they did hire Christian Whitehead and his crew to do the excellent new version of Sonic CD, and now again with the great-looking Sonic Mania.

You don't understand why Nintendo would do that? For one, Nintendo has an eshop where they sell several similar Metroid games, such as Super Metroid. This game given away for free could be expected to take sales away from Nintendo because it competes with those games directly.
Yes those are part of the reason, but I think the main reason is that it's a Metroid Clone on a non Nintendo platform. Free or not the main thing Nintendo has going for them is their unique IP that is only available on their platform. So no matter what game it is, if it's a Nintendo IP running on any platform that isn't Nintendo owned it's going to get taken down. It's never a matter of if, it is always going to be a matter of when.

If Nintendo would get off their ass and start selling their games on other platforms, I wonder how much money they might make? Starters, put out an Android and iOS app that lets you buy ROMs from them to play on your phone. Maybe even sell a joystick? Do the same for Playstation, Xbox, Roku, AppleTV - etc.
Maybe they are worried their console sales would slip if this happened. I'm not a business or marketing guy, so you could probably point out a lot of reasons why my idea sucks.

I feel no sympathy for Nintendo. I likely will never own another Nintendo device ever again. They lost me as a consumer with their gimmicks. What I loved about Nintendo were the first party games that at this point are few and far between. I'd have much more respect for them if they went the way of Sega. I personally think they are in over their heads. There are a lot of emulators out there, they should be happy someone still wants to play the game.

AM2R is up on torrents as well as usenet. Nintendo can get fucked if they think they can stop it from being distributed.

Back in 2011 SEGA did order the Streets of Rage Remix fan project taken down though (after it was completed and released): Bombed: SEGA On Streets Of Rage Shutdown

But yeah they did hire Christian Whitehead and his crew to do the excellent new version of Sonic CD, and now again with the great-looking Sonic Mania.

See this video by super bunnyhop for a more detailed explanation about Sonic CD and Mania.

It's pretty badass. I grabbed it right away as I expected it to fall. Just bought an Xbox One Wireless Adapter for my PC for it. It's only a 73MB zip file. I check my PMs, just sayin.

ditto as soon as i saw the link I downloaded it yesterday!

fuck Nintendo first off. Second yes I agree the music wasn't right for a Metroid game. I still think super Metroid is the pinnacle of Metroid music. Third what does Nintendo expect. The last 2d game they released as far as I can tell is Zero Mission.

Also, I wish I had know about this before they took it down. I would have grabbed it.

This guy checks his PMs just saying and its all over the internet not too hard to find.

I'm not arguing that's not the ideal, but I think he was trying to stay true to Metroid 2. Plus, you're cherry picking. I mean let's compare against the starting level music of Metroid:
Not exactly isolating, creeped out, and depressed.

The Brinstar music is literally the only music in the game that isn't creepy and depressing, which means you are the one who is cherry picking. Anyway I wasn't belittling the game, merely pointing it out.

Back