cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to data from the NPD group and released through Nintendo in a press release, the Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console of this hardware generation through its first 21 months on the market. The Nintendo Switch has sold over 8.7 million units since its launch in March 2017 until November 2018. No other current generation console is able to match the Switch's sales over their first 21 months on the market. Nintendo is predicting that its blistering sales pace will receive an additional boost over the holiday season from the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It is the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game of all time with over 3 million units sold in the U.S. over the course of 11 days. The sales at the Nintendo eShop have grown by 105% over 2017.

"We are thrilled to see such a strong reaction from consumers in the second holiday season for Nintendo Switch," said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "We're looking forward to delivering more excitement and smiles to our fans in the coming year and beyond."

I absolutely love our switch. Had it on a projector this summer and did 4 player Mario Kart. My daughter and wife LOVED it. I have no regrets buying it.

Also I blame sexy bowsette as the reason the switch is selling more.

BOTW is a masterclass in gaming design IMHO, and the Switch is the BEST way to play Hollow Knight :)

We have two in the house. Hopefully I can actually finish the BotW DLC and start Mario when the kids get their gaming PC's for Xmas.

I like the system, but don't love it. The account management, especially when you mix in Epic Games, is an absolute nightmare. No game sharing ala Steam (boo!). Nintendo Online, meh. And the hardware...if they built a "Pro" version, I think would sell just as well, if not better. (bigger better screen, proper bluetooth support, more on board storage, bigger battery, bigger joy cons with proper D-pad, 1080p all the time, dock with cartridge slots, etc.)

And everyone hates the ports, but it kills me all the greats from the Wii aren't being reborn. I mean, where's Switch Sports?!

But sales have already tappered off. They might catch Xbone but no where near PS4.

Key games are just now releasing or havent released yet though, it may get some strong boosts next year, especially once the next revision comes out. I know I bought mine once Mario Party finally released.

But sales have already tappered off. They might catch Xbone but no where near PS4.

Maybe not the PS4 but it will outsell the One long term. Only a few of the key games have come out so far. Half of those were enhanced remakes of Wii U titles. A real Pokemon game will boost sales by another few million alone.

Key games are just now releasing or havent released yet though, it may get some strong boosts next year, especially once the next revision comes out. I know I bought mine once Mario Party finally released.
How is the new Mario Party, we were thinking of getting it for when friends stop over.

I've avoided the buying the Switch until this holiday.
Would have never heard the end of it if the kids couldn't play the latest Pokémon.

I would be more thrilled if it had actual build quality instead of cheap plastic that scratches with a fingernail.

Can the adults please get magnesium/aluminum casings with a good gorrila glass IPS, I mean it would be great if Nintendo understood not all their patrons are children, it would be nice to have a more premium model that just uses more adult materials, because frankly Nintendo can suck a dick if they expect me to pay 300$ for a low res shield tablet with shitty quality materials let alone plastic, there is zero way a $100 zte tab phone should feel more premium than a 3x more expensive console......

I absolutely love our switch. Had it on a projector this summer and did 4 player Mario Kart. My daughter and wife LOVED it. I have no regrets buying it.

Also I blame sexy bowsette as the reason the switch is selling more.

BOTW is a masterclass in gaming design IMHO, and the Switch is the BEST way to play Hollow Knight :)

BotW is probably the most overated game I have seen to date, people need to really just stop praising it so highly, is it ok and good, yeah, but it's hardly master quality anything in fact it's just plain boring.

Never understood the appeal of an expensive 'console' that uses a 3yr old mobile soc that can't even do 30fps at 900p

BotW is probably the most overated game I have seen to date, people need to really just stop praising it so highly, is it ok and good, yeah, but it's hardly master quality anything in fact it's just plain boring.
Yes it is. Zero Dawn horizon should of been the game of the year in 2017. It was original and did everything BotW did but better in all categories. Not saying BotW is a better game but gets to damn much praise for just being Zelda.

I'm a hardcore enthusiast, but honestly the switch is neat because of the games, not the hardware. It's not really a console, it's a hand-held that can be docked.

You can make the same sort of argument about/against any of the current generation. Xbox and PS are nothing but stripped down PCs with under powered APUs.

Games are the only thing that matters.

Not to knock every PS/xbone game as there are some standouts... but the entire "AAA" game development pool is in for a crash imo. Gamers don't have their heads turned so easily by some pretty on screen stuffs like they used to. I was no different then most people 10 years back... seeing a game that really pushed hardware was so new and cool I would overlook some pretty terrible game design. Ya finished the game in 5 or 6 hours and there is next to zero reason to replay, but man look at that water. lol At this point the current generation of gaming kids... grew up with shiny metal and water and games that feel like playing a well animated cartoon. And those of us that are older kids of the 80s and 90s... we are jaded. We have seen great graphics for years now. Give us great game play again.

I'm not saying Nintendo games are all home runs. Even back in the old NES days there where plenty of stinkers. In general though I think most gamers these days want actual good games first. If things get wrapped up in a pretty package that's nice. But I would rather play a game like octopath traveler for hours over the latest Drake/Croft/ACreed type "real hardware console" games that play exactly the same as the previous title.... "oh look RandomConsoleSeriesTitle 8 is out, and this time its set in medieval japan and they added reflections to the blood spurts" lol :)

Yes it is. Zero Dawn horizon should of been the game of the year in 2017. It was original and did everything BotW did but better in all categories. Not saying BotW is a better game but gets to damn much praise for just being Zelda.

I disagree about it doing everything better. Horizon had better combat and better graphics but for everything else I think Zelda did better. Horizon’s world was beautiful but it didn’t capture the same feeling of lonely exploration and discovery that BOTW did and Zelda really gave the player more freedom to explore that world. They are both great games, but I would give the nod to BOTW any day of the week.

I put 200+ hours into it. Probably my favourite single player game of all time and I’ve always felt past Zelda games are boring. OOT, now that’s and overrated game.

I couldn’t get into it after BOTW. I gone back to it 3 times and got further each time but nothing is pulling me in. It’s a generic AAA game to me. Looks pretty though.

Don't get me wrong Nintendo makes good games especially for consistently creating an underperforming platform, however that doesn't mean they are masterwork titles by any means, they aren't a progressive company any more, not like they used to be, as a console maker they fail, but on mobile platform they are Kings of the market, the very fact that they make mobile games versus a cell phone market that is inundated with pay to win mechanics basically makes them Kings, the Vita was fantastic hardware wise but was hampered by Apple's processor and non support from 3rd party developers.

It is depending on your perspective. As long as your ok with 99% chance of being banned from online play. Ive been happy with it and accept my role of villain.
And honestly, their online network is pretty barebones imo. A ban certainly isn’t the end of the world

I put 200+ hours into it. Probably my favourite single player game of all time and I’ve always felt past Zelda games are boring. OOT, now that’s and overrated game.

I couldn’t get into it after BOTW. I gone back to it 3 times and got further each time but nothing is pulling me in. It’s a generic AAA game to me. Looks pretty though.

Honestly I probably put 800+ hours into each Elder Scrolls games, and probably 200+ in each fallout game which have infinitly more depth so BotW is incredibly boring.

Maybe, but people coming out every iteration stating "best game ever!!!!!!!" Is incredibly childish, where as once and for some of the games that were progressive and that did do something amazing we are left with people chasing corporate logos swearing they do no wrong, rather than being somewhat objective, BotW brought nothing new to the actual table, it just brought it to an audience at the right time that needed something to play because there was hardly anything on the console at release.

I looked at a Switch & bought a 3ds instead. Fits in my pocket & cost of entry is MUCH lower & seems to have way more RPGS. Currently working on Dragon Quest VIII

Maybe, but people coming out every iteration stating "best game ever!!!!!!!" Is incredibly childish, where as once and for some of the games that were progressive and that did do something amazing we are left with people chasing corporate logos swearing they do no wrong, rather than being somewhat objective, BotW brought nothing new to the actual table, it just brought it to an audience at the right time that needed something to play because there was hardly anything on the console at release.

Masterclass is different from best game ever. My best games aren't really close to other people's best. Things like star control ii, Super metroid, Steet fighter iii third strike are some of my top 15 but I know far from people's favorite. I love botw. But that's subjective. But to release a game of that scale on such a limited device, and breath new live in a very old and established series. I have nothing but respect for that. It's not rose tinted glasses. I love horizon also. But botw has that it factor for me design wise. Opinions obviously vary.

Last edited:
Thought about getting the kids one for Christmas, but I passed on it as they seldom play the PS3, XBox One, or Wii anymore. They want a Wii U for Mario Maker, even though they have it on the DS. They are on their DS's or tablets all the time.

I just bought one for the Mrs. last week. We always intended to get one, but she was feeling down and now she is so much happier catching Pokemon.

Its a fun little system.

I agreed, I often bash Nintendo for their stubbornness to impliment ideas from other games into their exclusives, but man are they stil fun! Their exclusives have so much potential to evolve into modern game mechanics, specially when it comes to pokemon. Abundance of interesting side quest, interactive world, customization, ect (you get the idea, what modern RPGs should aim for).

This is the first Nintendo console since the NES that I have no intention of purchasing. Console gaming in my household pretty much is nonexistent. The only consoles we have are a PS3 and WiiU.

I'm guessing this is the result of the earlier launches of the Xbox One and PS4 consoles as well as the fact that many of those who wanted those consoles, likely had them by now. Not that the Switch hasn't done well, but the parameters of success listed are debatable to say the least.

Overall, I'm disappointed with the Switch and a bit frustrated because it could have been so much better with a few different decisions. The form factor and even the hardware - basically a Tegra tablet w/ JoyCons + a Dock etc..- were a great start. However, it is the software that has let me down. I was hoping that Nintendo would have gone with an Android powered OS with a Nintendo skin and their own store preloaded, allowing easy use as a convergence device and wide support. The decision to knock together their own OS was a disappointment, but I at least expected Nintendo to evolve a bit and make the most of their hardware. The Switch could have offered utility applications like browsers, e-reading apps, multimedia (the Switch pretty much begs for Kodi support given its portable and docked options), and more but Nintendo wasn't having any of it - even less support than their 3DS which offered Netflix/Hulu , picto-chat and a few other free utilities. So after all this I felt at very least the homebrew/modder/hacking community would be able to pick up the slack; to date, I've spent more money on Nintendo's Wii / U / 3DS hardware and software because they were some of the few devices that could be modded with relative ease and without risk of bans for modding (bans for cheating/hacking during online play and ruining's everyone's time were still present and I have no problem with this) Of course, as if on cue Nintendo decided to lock down the Switch more than previous consoles, doling out hardware bans for modified Switches even doing innocuous things like running homebrew or updating their systems without burning e-fuses. There is still a thriving Switch mod scene, but thanks to Nintendo's ham-fisted attempts it pretty much comes down to everyone who mods either A) staying offline all the time to avoid bans or B) getting banned and thus unable to go online to the Store, update games, buy new stuff, play online multiplayer etc - both cases meaning players have zero reason to ever purchase anything legit for the Switch ever again! Its painfully evident than the justifications for such behavior come from the "we want ALL the hypothetical money, instead of some real money" thinking, as despite the ease of modding on previous Nintendo systems most of them were massively successful!

All of this seems like a real waste to me. My overall distaste for the idea of a modern "console" aside (I see no reason for proprietary, locked down versions near-off-the-shelf hardware bound to and controlled by a middleman to the extent common), the Switch could have been a great multifuction device allowing both "tablet/utility/media/possibly Android" stuff and "Nintendo gaming", both taking advantage of hardware control and dock features. Unfortunately, Nintendo is too addicted to complete control and insistence on a $300+ single function mobile device that the current software and policy choices were made instead. Nintendo's main strengths are their first party titles and these will always be their main draw, but I hope the pressures of the changing world will encourage them to evolve a bit. I've long said that I wish Nintendo would give up on the whole console thing and instead focus on open platform development (ie PC, Android on mobile ) for software and sales of peripherals and hardware meant for use on said open platforms; I'd greatly prefer to buy Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and more.. on Steam were they available! I've put my money up when SEGA did just this, offering Valkyria Chronicles , Yakuza, and other classic as well as brand new titles on PC! However, I feel that Nintendo is too set in their ways for the moment and that "successes" like those mentioned here, mostly based upon the software not the console itself, will justify their ongoing path. H

And so I wait. I wait for a new implementation of EmuNAND for custom Switch firmware makes it safe to split one's system into a modded emulated partition and a stock one for online play without issue; a minimum viable compromise. I wait for the surprisingly rapid development of the Yuzu (https://yuzu-emu.org/) emulator that will eventually allow near perfect play of the titles I'd very much like to enjoy from the Switch library, enhanced in all the ways an emulator can do so on a beefy PC. Or I wait for Nintendo to change their draconian policies and expand to open platforms... but while I wait, I find myself not purchasing content from Nintendo that I would do so under other circumstances. I'm sure some will just say "well, Nintendo doesn't need you etc...", but I'm far from the only one, and much like their freak-out after the slump of the WiiU, they should learn that refusing to change their ways and insist that a few first party titles or exclusives cannot solely sustain a platform.

Back