Nintendo Switch Online Coming in September

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Nintendo has announced that Nintendo Switch Online will be released September 2018. You will have to use the Switch Online app for Android and iOS, which will integrate with games to show stats and more, and will also be required for partying with friends and voice communication. The service will cost $3.99 a month, $7.99 for 3 months, or $19.99 a year. You will also get the Classic Game Selection, where Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

I wonder how popular this service will be due to the general clumsiness of having to use a smartphone for nearly everything. I imagine the "Classic Game Selection" being a part of the subscription will be it's biggest selling point. I do like Dr. Mario though.

This paid service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions in compatible games.

And then they might just randomly shut it down after a few years...

It would seem it would take some time to build trust back up after how they unceremoniously shut down Miiverse.

I was curious about it when they had announced it but after trying the chat for Splatoon with the phone app and seeing that this will use that setup too I think I'm going to pass. Or might just use it for games like Mario Kart that don't need a lot of coordination via voice to setup.

Seems clumsy, although I do tend to have my phone on me 99% of the time. I guess I'll have to wait and see. All I know is that right now online play on the Switch is by far the worst of the major consoles and services.

So the real question is whether not this will be required for any sort of online gaming.

Back