Nintendo Switch Is The Fastest-Selling Video Game Console Ever In The US

If a 3 year old can carry it around without it looking too big for him then you must be a very small man.

You're pretty clearly missing the point. I don't care what it looks like. If I can't put it in a pocket, that means it has to go in a bag, which is another thing to carry around unnecessarily.

Something like a DS I can throw in a pocket and it's there if I want to pull it out, and if I don't, no big deal. Having to carry around a bag makes it an inconvenience. If I were commuting or otherwise doing something where I knew I would make use of it, that's fine, but I'm not going to bring around a bag everywhere I go just in case.

Can you really not grasp why being pocketable makes a difference in something that's meant to be portable?

It still isn't that big. My psuedo nephew is 3 and it is like a 8" tablet for him. Some of you guys make it sound like it's a 13" tablet then add the controllers.

Smaller than that, actually, as the screen is only 6.2". The main thing is that it's kind of long with the controllers, but without them it's basically phablet-sized, albeit somewhat thicker and heavier.

This is a great platform for adults to play children's console games...or for "adults" that haven't adulted yet?

You're pretty clearly missing the point. I don't care what it looks like. If I can't put it in a pocket, that means it has to go in a bag, which is another thing to carry around unnecessarily.

Something like a DS I can throw in a pocket and it's there if I want to pull it out, and if I don't, no big deal. Having to carry around a bag makes it an inconvenience. If I were commuting or otherwise doing something where I knew I would make use of it, that's fine, but I'm not going to bring around a bag everywhere I go just in case.

Can you really not grasp why being pocketable makes a difference in something that's meant to be portable?

That entirely depends on what kind of pants you wear. The Switch itself fits in most of my pants. Toss the joycons in another pocket with my keys and its all fine. Or, if its cool outside, the Switch and Joycons can go into a jacket pocket.

That entirely depends on what kind of pants you wear. The Switch itself fits in most of my pants. Toss the joycons in another pocket with my keys and its all fine. Or, if its cool outside, the Switch and Joycons can go into a jacket pocket.

I guess I wear the wrong pants (n)

I don't even like having to put my keys and phone in the same pocket when i'm carrying. I've got a few coats where I could probably fit it I guess. I never got into the habit of storing things in my coat pockets. For whatever reason my mind tells me things are more likely to get lost or damaged in my coat.

This is a great platform for adults to play children's console games...or for "adults" that haven't adulted yet?

What type of idiot judges how fun a game is based off the rating on the box?

Who gives a shit. I've got a PC to play GTA 5 and shoot hookers if I want. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy 'childish' games like Mario, Axiom Verge, and Zelda.

Both the new Mario and Zelda are such outstanding games that you'd have to be the world's largest douche to write them off because they aren't rated 'M'.

Both the new Mario and Zelda are such outstanding games that you'd have to be the world's largest douche to write them off because they aren't rated 'M'.

Not to mention the Switch already has some M games (Doom et al., though not exclusive), with more on the way (e.g. Bayonetta 1-3).

Just got my daughter one for xmas now each kid has one and they love them. Zelda, Splatoon, mario, arms and a few others. It's not my thing but I can understand that there is a market for it.

as good as Nintendo games are, they are hardly worth $300+ for a system.

The Switch had 5 major and 1 minor entries for The Game Awards (3 of which won, one multiple times, although many were competing with each other) and it wasn't even out the full year. No other system (including PC) came even close with exclusives. In fact I'd only count Cuphead (which beat out the Switch's Golf Story for one award) as a real competitor there outside of HZD (which won none). So not entirely sure what you're saying, I'd call that an amazing first partial year that would be worth $300 on any system.

And where are you playing your Switch? I'm genuinely curious to know where people are getting regular use out of a portable this size. Are people just playing it on the couch when they can't access their TV? Or are you using it somewhere out of the house regularly?

From my post about the Switch made over the holidays:

"Just in the last week I'd had my Switch at...the dinner table after I finished Christmas dinner; outside at my fire pit with my cats; on my exercise bike outside; docked on my room TV with my other exercise bike; in my bed when I got sick and wanted to rest; on the toilet; brought it with me in the car while someone else lingered shopping; briefly went I went for a walk (I live near the beach); and lastly, on my main TV in my second dock for some traditional couch console gaming. A "normal" person might expand that widely with parties/friends which frankly isn't my thing but hey."

I own a switch. It's actually a great little system. It now accompanies me on all my business trips. My wife loves it and has played a significant amount of Zelda and Super Mario Odyssey. I brought it to a friend's christmas gathering and we did some tetris and bomberman for a good 3 hrs straight. I've played more on the switch than my ps4 in the past year.

The Switch had 5 major and 1 minor entries for The Game Awards (3 of which won, one multiple times, although many were competing with each other) and it wasn't even out the full year. No other system (including PC) came even close with exclusives. In fact I'd only count Cuphead (which beat out the Switch's Golf Story for one award) as a real competitor there outside of HZD (which won none). So not entirely sure what you're saying, I'd call that an amazing first partial year that would be worth $300 on any system.

Makes me question the validity of such an event if Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't win anything. That game was superb.

I used to own a ps4, but sold it since I haven't touched it in over a year and picked up a Switch. Beat Uncharted 4 and that was the last game I played on it. All the games I play these days are also now on PC. Such as fighters like SFV, Tekken 7, and MVC:I. Other fighters are coming to pc as well. I don't really care much for console exclusives from Sony. Microsoft games are usually available on pc as well. While XB1 and PS4 can duke it out all they want, I'm glad Nintendo is trying new things. I love my switch and my nephews prefer it over their ps4 they got over Christmas. I think they got the right ratio on graphics/gameplay and portability. To this day, I'd rather play the original punch out over new graphical games like codww2 any day.

I'm 32, I own a Switch. Both my gf (33) and her friend (33) also own a Switch. Hell, practically everyone I know who owns a Switch is an adult.

It's a fun console. I know it's cool to hate on Nintendo, but there's a lot of great games, and the system being portable lends itself well to traveling, which you know, adults do.

I just got one for my birthday. Very versatile unit. Makes the vita obsolete. No wonder why it died so fast.

PC has a huge library of exclusives, just not always triple a games, plus access to most of the triple a titles barring the few exclusives out there.

I'm saying Nintendo does not have a lot of exclusives, and Zelda and Mario Kart are both Wii U titles also on the switch. Even nintendo titles are ports from prior consoles.

With a Ps or Xbox you at least have access to most titles. this is not true of Nintendo, you pretty much rely on first party titles. Maybe with the switchs success it'll be different?

Edit: i do not put any stock into game awards, movie awards or any awards. Sure they are good games, but so are many others.

Last edited:
PC has a huge library of exclusives, just not always triple a games, plus access to most of the triple a titles barring the few exclusives out there.

I'm saying Nintendo does not have a lot of exclusives, and Zelda and Mario Kart are both Wii U titles also on the switch. Even nintendo titles are ports from prior consoles.

With a Ps or Xbox you at least have access to most titles. this is not true of Nintendo, you pretty much rely on first party titles. Maybe with the switchs success it'll be different?

The Switch's success is already bringing 3rd parties on board. Though, I wouldn't expect a ton of AAA game ports. I think other studios will follow Square-Enix's lead and use the Switch as a platform for smaller titles. The Switch's low development cost and lower power makes it an ideal platform for A and AA-level game development, something we don't see often these days. I wouldn't expect a lot of that to show up this year though. We might get announcements of stuff this year, but I'd expect 2019 to be the year where 3rd party titles start to show up more. A lot of studios will just have started work on Switch projects last year, when signs of how well it was doing started to become more consistent. So, maybe we'll get some more game ports this year with new projects starting to show up next year and beyond. If the rumors of GTAV coming to the Switch are true that would be huge. The game still sells incredibly well to this day. I'm skeptical though, even if Nintendo did specifically call out Take-Two (along with Activision) as big supporters recently.

Makes me question the validity of such an event if Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't win anything. That game was superb.

It did secure six nominations (tied for the most). It had stiff competition in all its categories. I don't think a game should just win any award just because it's great, that's not how awards work unfortunately. If you want to take the easy route of delegitimizing my source, more power to you, the fact remains the Switch in less than a year (and its first year) had plenty of great exclusives.

The Switch's success is already bringing 3rd parties on board. Though, I wouldn't expect a ton of AAA game ports. I think other studios will follow Square-Enix's lead and use the Switch as a platform for smaller titles. The Switch's low development cost and lower power makes it an ideal platform for A and AA-level game development, something we don't see often these days.

Well we already know we have Kirby and Yoshi on the docket for next year, Metroid and Pokemon probably in 2019, and of course other interesting titles (Octopath Traveler will be a pre-order for me), but there's actually been a lot of smaller but great eshop games coming out every week. I realize most aren't exclusive (except Never Stop Sneakin' and the like, although I've had fun with Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst) though. And of course with Skyrim, Doom, and LA Noire ported over, there are a lot of possibilities moving forward. Certainly it's a low-power platform so I wouldn't expect miracles but on the other hand I have my PC for the big games.

Well we already know we have Kirby and Yoshi on the docket for next year, Metroid and Pokemon probably in 2019, and of course other interesting titles (Octopath Traveler will be a pre-order for me), but there's actually been a lot of smaller but great eshop games coming out every week. I realize most aren't exclusive (except Never Stop Sneakin' and the like, although I've had fun with Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst) though. And of course with Skyrim, Doom, and LA Noire ported over, there are a lot of possibilities moving forward. Certainly it's a low-power platform so I wouldn't expect miracles but on the other hand I have my PC for the big games.

Bayonetta 3 is also probably a 2019 game, so some big things a head for that year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried to push Pokemon company to put out something this year. Even a spin-off like Mystery Dungeon would drive sales.

yadda yadda

Edit: i do not put any stock into game awards, movie awards or any awards. Sure they are good games, but so are many others.

Let me guess, you don't put any stock into reviews, either. How convenient...

Your points are valid but still irrelevant for what was being argued: your statement that it's not worth $300. I am a PC gamer, I spend plenty on my PC and game predominately on my PC, that has nothing to do with a $300 console I have on the side. The point is that there are already plenty of titles worth the cost on the Switch. If you ignore the awards, the reviewers, the YouTubers, the guy down the street, whatever, that still doesn't change the fact it's worth $300 to me and quite honestly if you do "take stock" of the gaming community you will see that I am far from alone. (and TGA is a reflection of that regardless)

Bayonetta 3 is also probably a 2019 game, so some big things a head for that year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried to push Pokemon company to put out something this year. Even a spin-off like Mystery Dungeon would drive sales.

Yes, I forgot Bayonetta and I'm sure others. You know, I'm the type of guy that will always get the game on PC if it's cross-platform (with a few exceptions), but I still feel the console was worth it to me just for the half dozen "big" titles I got with it (and some of the indies too). I think anybody who poopahs that is really missing the point...you know, "fun."

What I'm genuinely curious is how often you're leaving the house without anything in tow? There was a very brief period where I wouldn't be taking stuff with me to work, but over the years I almost always end up with some type of bag with either books, a laptop, or clothes, etc. I'm guessing you just happen to be in that window where you're not carrying around stuff for school anymore, but aren't carrying around bags for kids. And I can't say for sure if you have a purse or not but if you did the switch would probably fit in it! (Or let your SO carry your switch so you don't have to. ;))

PC has a huge library of exclusives, just not always triple a games...

I think the term "main stream games" is more appropriate. There are certainly games of AAA quality but their genre is just not as popular and they don't translate to consoles very well. PC has entire genres exclusive. The only reason consoles have any exclusives is because Sony / Nintendo / MS buys studios and funds them, therefore they stay platform exclusive. Outside of that, PC wins hands down. With flawless Xbox controller support the few games that worked better on console work just as well on PC now.

What I'm genuinely curious is how often you're leaving the house without anything in tow? There was a very brief period where I wouldn't be taking stuff with me to work, but over the years I almost always end up with some type of bag with either books, a laptop, or clothes, etc. I'm guessing you just happen to be in that window where you're not carrying around stuff for school anymore, but aren't carrying around bags for kids. And I can't say for sure if you have a purse or not but if you did the switch would probably fit in it! (Or let your SO carry your switch so you don't have to. ;))

It's very rare that I'm leaving the house with something other than what fits in my pockets. Wallet, car keys, cell phone. Sometimes a firearm as well, but it's pretty rare that I concealed carry outside of work. That's it. My laptop stays at work unless I have a specific purpose for bringing it home, which is rare. I run a small retail business, there is really nothing else that needs to go to-and-from work every day. If I need it at work, I leave it there. Don't intend on having kids, so I'll never be carrying shit around for them. Also, for what it's worth, my wife thinks like I do. She does not own a purse. She is in med school and while going to either school or clinical she has a bag with her but its almost entirely school/work related items. If we are going out for the evening, she brings only what can fit in her pockets. If she's in a dress or something, typically she'll throw her ID in my wallet and leave everything else at home.

I just don't see the need to bring all sorts of junk with me wherever I go. I guess I'm the minority here.

the switch is a kids toy, and this size is perfectly suitable for a kid to walk with to his neighbors, or bring in his backpack to school, or just play with in the backyard.

the switch is a kids toy, and this size is perfectly suitable for a kid to walk with to his neighbors, or bring in his backpack to school, or just play with in the backyard.

Is it though? I see a lot of people here talking it up who obviously are not kids.

I do see where it would be more appealing for kids, but at $300, it's an awful expensive "toy".

Is it though? I see a lot of people here talking it up who obviously are not kids.

I do see where it would be more appealing for kids, but at $300, it's an awful expensive "toy".
I'm 35 and think I would probably enjoy it, at least on my big screen, simply because I recognize a good title when i see one and BotW and Mario look fantastic, but I still regard it as a kids toy, just a really good kids toy.

It still isn't that big. My psuedo nephew is 3 and it is like a 8" tablet for him. Some of you guys make it sound like it's a 13" tablet then add the controllers.

Yea, but in the age of mobile phones and "truely" mobile gaming... the switch cannot make that same claim.

Unless you dress like this, it's not mobile, you have to put it in a backpack/knapsack which is annoying to carry around all day.

B-UEImtIIAAaLSO.jpg

I'd agree that it's more appealing as a portable setup, but I don't think it's in the same class as a true portable game system. It's just too big. A 3DS you can fit in a pocket. A switch you can't. Maybe I'm out of touch with portable gaming, but do people really bring this thing around everywhere? Are kids bringing them to school? I could see it being good on a plane or a train, but i don't see bringing one everywhere you go as an "in case I get bored" portable system. Theses days, that's what phones are for.

My nephew has a switch, he takes it everywhere. not sure about school, doubt that. they don't have high speed internet where he lives so that's his way to game. (yes, Rural America sucks for internet access)

AAA games on the go seems like a neat premise, but is the Switch really going to deliver on that? What third-party AAA games does this have?

Honestly, how can you even have an opinion on the Switch if you have never held one and played it and don't even know the games it has on it? It sounds like you are being deliberately ignorant to be dismissive.

That being said, I have a Switch, and a gaming PC, and a Xbox One X, and a PS4 Pro and I play every genre out there for the most part. The Switch has easily been getting more use than the others b/c of Skyrim, Doom, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2... Having those games on the go is incredible. Wolfenstein 2 is coming out soon as well. It's an amazing console, and yes it's not as portable as say the 3DS or even the 3DS XL but it basically has the same battery life and is really not that unwieldy to take in a pack with you. It's not pocket-able, but it's definitely portable enough.

Last edited:
I've been tempted to buy one since Black Friday but the game list hasn't impressed me yet. Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart are definite winners but everything else seemed just okay. Now if they were to port some classic NES games like Contra, TMNT, The Simpsons, Streets of Rage, Ninja Baseball Batman..I'd probably buy it. I wish they had more side scrolling classic beat em ups.

EDIT: But getting back to the topic on hand, compared to the competition, $300 seems high when looking at the game line-up (now and future) and hardware. Not sure if it's still an issue but didn't Zelda drop frame rates during intense action if played on a TV? Battery life for portability could be better cause 3 hrs playing something intensive is too short for my traveling. And the real kicker, you can only connect two controllers to any additional Switches if you want to sync and have a lan party. Seriously?

Last edited:
I've been tempted to buy one since Black Friday but the game list hasn't impressed me yet. Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart are definite winners but everything else seemed just okay. Now if they were to port some classic NES games like Contra, TMNT, The Simpsons, Streets of Rage, Ninja Baseball Batman...instant buy. I wish they had more side scrolling classic beat em ups.

Hopefully by the time they release their online service near the last quarter of the year we will see the return of the Virtual Console. I want Super Castlevania 4 like I had on my Wii U.

Honestly, how can you even have an opinion on the Switch if you have never held one and played it and don't even know the games it has on it? It sounds like you are being deliberately ignorant to be dismissive.

I've seen one in person. I didn't have to pick it up to see that it is physically too large for my preference in a portable game system. Likewise, I've seen what the hardware is capable of and therefor know that as a home console it cannot hold up to Microsoft or Sony's offerings. And my question about what games it has wasn't out of ignorance... it was an invitation to prove me wrong. The two major AAA releases on Switch last year came from Nintendo. The only third-party AAA releases that come to mind are rehashed games from Bethesda. I cannot think of a single forthcoming AAA release that has been announced for Xbox, PS4, and Switch. Again, if i'm mistaken on this point, kindly point all the AAA releases coming to Switch this year.

I'm not sure how that's not enough to have an opinion. It's a game system that is primarily meant to be enjoyed on the go. For me, it's too big for that purpose. Obviously for many others it's not to big, and good you if it's not. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to think it's too large to be conveniently portable. As a home console, I think it's only relevance is to play Nintendo games. What little third-party games that do exist would be better on the other consoles (or PC) if you intend to play at home, on a TV.

Last edited:
Now we've got the Switch, and to me, it feels like the Wii all over again. What's so great about the Switch library?

What's great about the switch library? Kid friendly games.

I picked up a ps4 when the prices dripped due to the pro coming out. Also because my kid loves ratchet & clank and there was finally a ps4 release in the franchise. The platform is 3 years old and outside of lego titles and little big planet, most of the major kid friendly titles were still 6 months or more away. I don't own an xbox, but form searching for titles, it looks to be almost as bad. The switch already has most of the kid friendly titles from both platforms AND has the nintendo IP. If you didn't go in for a wii U, you also get the ability to kick your kid of the TV so you can use it.

That aside, you got the first party heavy hitters.

New zelda.
New mario.
Mario kart 8, effectively new if you didn't buy a wii U.

Then you have stuff that is pretty good like

the splatoon series,
a decent skyrim port,
an ok doom port,
pokemon stuff and the promise of more to come.

It did secure six nominations (tied for the most). It had stiff competition in all its categories. I don't think a game should just win any award just because it's great, that's not how awards work unfortunately. If you want to take the easy route of delegitimizing my source, more power to you, the fact remains the Switch in less than a year (and its first year) had plenty of great exclusives.

Wasn't intending any offense, that just surprised me is all given how much acclaim I have heard for HZD and how awesome my experience was with the game, basically over all other games this year. I own a Switch, so I know how cool it and its games are. :)

Back