Nintendo Switch Game Cartridges Taste Awful

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In what is probably the weirdest news I will post today, game journalists have been commenting on how terrible Nintendo Switch games taste. Since this would imply that grown men and women are habitually putting cartridges in their mouths, I can only assume there are some serious mental issues going around. Nintendo has pointed out that their games have, in fact, been coated to prevent accidental ingestion. I will now attempt to salvage this post by linking to a roundup of Switch reviews.

In a statement emailed to Polygon, a Nintendo representative confirmed the theory that Switch cartridges are coated in a material that’s meant to dissuade people from putting the units in their mouths. “A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card,” the spokesperson said, adding that Nintendo recommends keeping Switch cartridges away from children “to avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion.” The representative also noted that denatonium benzoate is non-toxic. Denatonium is the most bitter chemical compound known to humanity. It is widely used as an aversive agent, an additive that discourages ingestion by making a substance taste so bad that you’ll immediately want to spit it out.

Why is this important news? I can't say i've put games in my mouth. I have blown a few (hundred) NES cartridges in my life. But never tried to sit down and enjoy a meal with them.

This is actually another reason to pick up 1+2 Switch... no need for a console, just compete with a friend to see who can keep it in their mouths the longest.

Do y'all really think this is to prevent adults from eating them?

Small, plastic parts of any kind create an easy choking hazard for kids and pets. Making them taste like shit on purpose, in hopes that these creatures spit them out, is a great idea.

Thank god only sophisticated adults play video games and not children.

Of course, what sort of adult would play video game AND have a child or pet that might gnaw on a game cartridge?

The next YouTube sensation - "The Switch Challenge"

See how long you hold a pile of Switch cartridges in your mouth.

Honestly though, this would be a great way to determine if games are genuine or counterfeit. The taste test!

While a good idea, I'm really wondering why the media are complaining about things like the kickstand and the taste of cartridges, and not discussing the lack of Virtual Console or apps for YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

I guess I'd better put on gloves before handling my Switch cartridges, lest I contaminate my Doritos-cheese-coated fingers...

So what your saying is I'll be punished if I hold 1 cart in my lips while I rummage through my case to pull out the next one before putting the other one away...

The next YouTube sensation - "The Switch Challenge"

See how long you hold a pile of Switch cartridges in your mouth.

Honestly though, this would be a great way to determine if games are genuine or counterfeit. The taste test!

Part of me wants to start this to be "The guy that started a challenge", the other part of me does not want to be that guy.

Part of me wants to start this to be "The guy that started a challenge", the other part of me does not want to be that guy.

I wouldn't volunteer for it but I want the next stupid challenge to be the Kurt Cobain challenge. I decided this after seeing a taser challenge in which you shock a metal object you're holding with your teeth...

I wouldn't volunteer for it but I want the next stupid challenge to be the Kurt Cobain challenge. I decided this after seeing a taser challenge in which you shock a metal object you're holding with your teeth...

Wait..people did that? How the hell did I miss that? I'm usually all over watching people do stupid shit that causes them pain.

Edit: I have an entirely new door of entertainment opened to me upon YouTube..You Sir have my thanks!

Last edited:
i can see cables made like this my cat has ruined a few charging cables and my brothers dogs have done similar to some of his extension cords... This shit better not rub off on people's fingers...

Wait..people did that? How the hell did I miss that? I'm usually all over watching people do stupid shit that causes them pain.

Edit: I have an entirely new door of entertainment opened to me upon YouTube..You Sir have my thanks!
Yep. There really is a special kind of stupid out there.

Do y'all really think this is to prevent adults from eating them?

Small, plastic parts of any kind create an easy choking hazard for kids and pets. Making them taste like shit on purpose, in hopes that these creatures spit them out, is a great idea.

but how did people know it taste bad? If an article was posted tomorrow about how the chipset on the new Nvidia gpu tasting like vomit mixed with onions you would want to know how people know what it taste like. The same here, for this to become a story and Nintendo to have to respond to people saying the games taste like shit, somebody had to be putting them in their mouth and commenting on the horrible taste. No matter if the reasons are valid for them tasting like shit, the real question is still how did people find out in the first place.

but how did people know it taste bad? If an article was posted tomorrow about how the chipset on the new Nvidia gpu tasting like vomit mixed with onions you would want to know how people know what it taste like. The same here, for this to become a story and Nintendo to have to respond to people saying the games taste like shit, somebody had to be putting them in their mouth and commenting on the horrible taste. No matter if the reasons are valid for them tasting like shit, the real question is still how did people find out in the first place.

Now that the precedent is set, expect reviewers to lick everything they review.

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb put one on his mouth as a joke, felt the awful taste that got stuck on his tongue and asked. That is how they found out that it tasted terrible, and it is sound design by Nintendo, kudos for that! indeed, pets and toddlers could benefit from this.

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb put one on his mouth as a joke, felt the awful taste that got stuck on his tongue and asked. That is how they found out that it tasted terrible, and it is sound design by Nintendo, kudos for that! indeed, pets and toddlers could benefit from this.
Depending on how they applied the substance if they sprayed it on the outer case near the end I imagine it will either wear off or be able to be cleaned off if it was mixed into the plastic... I hope it doesn't rub off on people's fingers after putting a game in and that they did not let the joy cons or switch itself near that shit... Again in case of prolonged contact with sweaty fingers. The act of bittering objects or substances messes with the use of those things. Canned air even without abuse it dumps airisoled bittergent all over and in the air made the mistake of using it then chewing my fingernails...

Umm, WTF!, Umm, huh?, ahhhh what?

Honey, make sure you wash your hands before you eat after gaming.

Honey, why do your fingers smell like a**, what were you doing just now?

I spent all day gaming and everything tastes like shi*, how come?

Suddenly 18 hour gas station food tastes good. Those midnight munchies just got better!

Even the dog is laughing at you after licking itself!

The cat just walks away(but you think you hear laughing)

Who needs bug repellent, stick a switch in the corner of the room as a lure.

Scientists baffled by mass dung beetle migrations, fake news or climate change?

A new Southpark episode in the making for sure!

I'm still amazed at how we can continue to devolve.

Back