Nintendo Switch Consoles Are Allegedly Warping When Docked for Too Long

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The bad press for the Nintendo Switch continues: some users have just realized that their consoles are bending. What may be to blame is the increased amount of heat produced when the tablet is docked for long periods of time. Nintendo has agreed to repairs, but if you need a quicker fix, you can try driving your car over it.

Some users are reporting warped Switch consoles after prolonged periods of docked play. [This] is apparently the sight of a Switch that has rarely left the comfort of its cradle. It’s been warped out of shape according to _NSR, who has spent around 50 hours playing it. “Luckily it hasn’t affected the way that it plays,” they wrote in the thread. “The lack of disc drive is definitely a good thing here. “I’m wondering if it being docked is the problem though, most of my time has been on the dock, and it has to work harder to output to a larger screen.”

Wife has been playing hundreds of hours and hasn't had any problems.

That being said if people have a problem utilize the warranty. Nintendo is doing next day air on warranty claims, and apparently they have a server they put save games on if they send you back a replacement unit that the replacement unit then downloads the save games from, so you won't loose progress.

I'm guessing those that only play the Nintendo Switch in their Mom's basement without cooling or windows for really long periods of time would be in a hotter environment causing the Nintendo Switch to then Warp. That is my guess anyways.

So which complaint are we making here? ;)

What level/type of plastic are they using that it would warp/bend at such a low heat?

OR

What the heck is wrong with the Switch that it gets SOO hot that it would bend warp the plastic housing?

I haven't taken mine off the dock since i got my pro controller.

If there's a warping problem, i most certainly will have it. Will report back.

I assume it's in cases that have poor ventilation or for some reason direct exposure to sunlight with playing on it for extended hours.

So which complaint are we making here? ;)

What level/type of plastic are they using that it would warp/bend at such a low heat?

OR

What the heck is wrong with the Switch that it gets SOO hot that it would bend warp the plastic housing?

I'd guess from this comment that you haven't ever lived in FL, TX, AZ or NM. Even supposedly high-grade plastic can melt.

I'd guess from this comment that you haven't ever lived in FL, TX, AZ or NM. Even supposedly high-grade plastic can melt.

I live in the great frozen steppes of upper Kanukistan and I bent quite a few cassette tapes in my car(s) in the olden days.

Mine has minor warping, but that very well could have been there from the start. I don't use mine that often, so it's entirely plausible that these things just shipped

Made this post in another thread about this issue so I'll post it here, too:

I checked my Switch last night and it does have a slight curve on the right side of the console around the cartridge port like in the photos. It's not as bad as some of the others out there but it is there. Some are speculating that the Switch can't get hot enough to warp the plastic this much so the bends we are seeing in the plastic could have been there from the beginning and we just didn't notice it. I watched a few unboxing videos to see if a brand new Switch had bending and some appeared to have a slight bend out of the box but in the videos it was hard to get a good look at them at the right angle to see for sure how much bending the plastic had out of the box. The bend on my Switch isn't a huge deal right now but if it gets worse over time it will be a problem. I've mainly played my Switch in handheld mode but I've had a few pretty long Zelda sessions with it docked. Also, I have a micro fiber cloth in my dock to prevent scratching but owners who don't have a cloth in their dock have still experienced the warping.

I checked mine out, I checked with a flatedge ruler and am not seeing any indications of curving. I'm at 120 shrines, 4 divine beasts in Zelda, so I'm pushing 70+ hours at least. My wife is at 40 shrines and probably pushing 40 hours. We've played each for good 5+ hour sessions multiple times so I'm not seeing anything.

The bad press for the Nintendo Switch continues: some users have just realized that their consoles are bending. What may be to blame is the increased amount of heat produced when the tablet is docked for long periods of time. Nintendo has agreed to repairs, but if you need a quicker fix, you can try driving your car over it.

Some users are reporting warped Switch consoles after prolonged periods of docked play. [This] is apparently the sight of a Switch that has rarely left the comfort of its cradle. It’s been warped out of shape according to _NSR, who has spent around 50 hours playing it. “Luckily it hasn’t affected the way that it plays,” they wrote in the thread. “The lack of disc drive is definitely a good thing here. “I’m wondering if it being docked is the problem though, most of my time has been on the dock, and it has to work harder to output to a larger screen.”
I posted this story in the consoles forum and it's been completely ignored for the most part.

https://hardforum.com/threads/nintendo-switch-is-warping.1928882/

I'm sure there is some sort of dock on the bay parody that can be made here. Instead of the wastin' time bit, maybe getting bent.

Bart: "Get bent"
Switch "ok".

This is a crap news post. Its been discussed on reddit to death. It was warped from the factory due to the metal frame being bent. If its getting hot enough to bend like that it would burn your hands and or melt the plastic. My switch has never even been warm to the touch. I have had a switch since launch and do not have any issue.

This is a crap news post. Its been discussed on reddit to death. It was warped from the factory due to the metal frame being bent. If its getting hot enough to bend like that it would burn your hands and or melt the plastic. My switch has never even been warm to the touch. I have had a switch since launch and do not have any issue.
The Nintendo Switch is undeniably a flawed console, regardless of your personal sample size or the unscientific world of reddit comments.

The Nintendo Switch is undeniably a flawed console, regardless of your personal sample size or the unscientific world of reddit comments.
What's so flawed about it? It's been pretty awesome to me but I'm a huge zelda fan, so I'm obviously biased.

Bought a switch on launch day, played Zelda for about 20 hrs then sold it. Too many frame rate issues and the console itself needs version 2 to get my dollars. A plastic screen that scratches when docked? A power plug on the bottom interfering with the kickstand? Featureless OS? I am happy to give Nintendo money for Zelda but I will be emulating since the brand new console they launched it on can't stay about 20fps.

What's so flawed about it? It's been pretty awesome to me but I'm a huge zelda fan, so I'm obviously biased.

This FTW. Honestly, I buy Nintendo consoles for the 1st party games alone. My PC is where I play all the big budget 3rd party games. If you haven't played the new Zelda game your missing out BIG TIME!

Anyone with pics of a bent switch? I have a day one launch switch and have been playing long sessions and pushing 100+ hrs on it in dock. I find it hard to believe this thing can deform itself with the heat it generates. I've picked it up after a long session and not felt anything close to scalding, just a slight warmth like I was holding it for a long time.

Anyone with pics of a bent switch? I have a day one launch switch and have been playing long sessions and pushing 100+ hrs on it in dock. I find it hard to believe this thing can deform itself with the heat it generates. I've picked it up after a long session and not felt anything close to scalding, just a slight warmth like I was holding it for a long time.

It could be that the bent Switch's were bent from the factory. Mine has a slight bend and bulge on the back but it is slight enough to where it could have easily been that way from the beginning. I'm going to keep a close eye on it though.

Back