Nintendo Survey Reveals Millennials Biggest Switch Buyers

monkeymagick

[H]News
A recent survey conducted by Nintendo reveals that millennials are the biggest demographic purchasing the Switch console. The targeted questionnaire with 60,000 respondents suggest that 86 percent of men are purchasing the system and 43 percent of buyers are in the age group of 25-34 year-old. Nostalgia can be quite expensive.

The email questionnaire, which targeted 600,000 people who had associated a Nintendo Account with their Switch, asked respondents to reveal the age and gender of the person in their house "who had the strongest desire to purchase the Switch."

Well, of the respondents... I mean 60000 is a good sample but hopefully they applied some corrections for biases ( maybe they did?)

Makes sense - Portable Nintendo system that's playing games in decent graphics quality.

Winner.

Just wait until a Switch Smash brothers hits the scene.

I didn't buy one, so this checks out. Who would have thought, their target audience is their largest customer? :rolleyes: I thought about it, but I don't like being a first revision adopter or be a part of the artificial demand game. That along with quality control issues (overheat in dock, L/R Joy-Con-trollers dropping connection), c'mon Nintendo this was your bread and butter. The overall cheapness and lack of thought surrounding the docking station: why does it have to sandwich the unit, trapping in heat and people managing to scratch their screen? The final straw was the $70 Pro controller and the cheap wired controllers which require docked mode with no gyro, rumble or near field. Maybe one day, far after I buy a Wii U.

Last edited:
i want to play the new mario, but i'm not buying a switch just for that.

Gen x checking in, I love my switch. I travel a lot for my job so a very portable console is a great way of cutting stress and having some fun after a long work day. Zelda, Mario kart, the new Mario are all fantastic and easily enough for me to justify the purchase.

i want to play the new mario, but i'm not buying a switch just for that.

This console actually has two solid hits. the Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. That being said the rest of the library is average or re-releases.

This console actually has two solid hits. the Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. That being said the rest of the library is average or re-releases.

had one sense launch, only own 4 games but those two games are reason alone to buy one if you love zelda and mario games.

25-34 year olds?

I don't think millennial means what they think it means.

If these consoles are so popular then why am i seeing them collecting dust on store shelves? Hell i have one on ebay for around $345 just sitting there. If they had more than 5 games for it i might play the thing but I prefer my hi-def nes's and emulators.

If these consoles are so popular then why am i seeing them collecting dust on store shelves? Hell i have one on ebay for around $345 just sitting there. If they had more than 5 games for it i might play the thing but I prefer my hi-def nes's and emulators.

You're Switch isn't selling because you have it priced over it's market value, not because it's unpopular. Duh.

25-34 year olds?

I don't think millennial means what they think it means.

The definition of millennial changed several years from people born right around the time of the new millennium to being the new name for Generation Y. It's now people born from the very early 1980's to the late 1990's.

I'm going to pick one up after Christmas. I was very surprised seeing the chart where people played it more as a portable (undocked) vs. the docked position. I'm only going to use it as a console, in the docked config.

I'm not a millennial. I just like playing games. And Nintendo games are generally very easy to just pick up and play.

Anyone born between the early 80s and the late 90s is a Millennial.
The definition of millennial changed several years from people born right around the time of the new millennium to being the new name for Generation Y. It's now people born from the very early 1980's to the late 1990's.

Kind of a ridiculous gap. I feel like anyone born in the 80s have very little in common with those in the late 90s early 00's.

Kind of a ridiculous gap. I feel like anyone born in the 80s have very little in common with those in the late 90s early 00's.

Much like Baby Boomers and Gen X-ers, Millennials is the new word to make headlines or pass blame on. They are like a stereotype at best.

Much like Baby Boomers and Gen X-ers, Millennials is the new word to make headlines or pass blame on. They are like a stereotype at best.

Ah so kind of how Gen X is responsible for the unemployment rates and housing crisis and Y is responsible for the retail/food market. I hate the media and the bean counters that make up these bullshit statistics.

Generational cohorts are often about 20 years with the exception of the "greatest generation" which covers from 1900 to about 1925, unless something notable achieved in the 1930's to 50's was done by a person who was born in the late 1800's who is then co-opted into the "greatest"

All time frames are approximates

Greatest 1900-1925 (but see exception above); Silent 1926-1945; Boomers 1946-196(4-6); Genx X 1966-80(ish) (used to be up to about 84 but was truncated to 79/80); Gen Y/ Millennial post Gen X- 2,000; Gen "Z" is post 2,000-ish and was previously the first group named millennials, is still sometimes lumped in with the older millennials and as far as I've seen has not otherwise been named.

If you remember Kurt Cobain before he died, you got in before the cutoff. Congratulations, you're not a millennial.

I am pretty sure it's always been whoever was old enough to start voting at the turn of the century was considered a millennial. Therefore if you were born between 1982 and 2000 you're a millennial.

Back