Nintendo software only.

CastletonSnob

Weaksauce
What do you think of Nintendo dropping out of the console business and making games for other platforms?

Would it be a good business move for them?

This could've been in your other thread. The answer is: no.
As I also mentioned in that thread, they can't keep their hardware in stock. It's flying off of the shelves. Why would they actively choose to make less money?
Additionally there is no other first party making systems in the format that Nintendo does. Where is my portable Xbox or Playstation that allows multiplayer?
I'm not how sure how you even think that these items are similar outside of the fact that they "play games".

EDIT: The only third party hardware their interested in is the phone and tablet space, as that's the most ubiquitous "console" there is. The part that I think is hilarious there is that your 'goal' is to get Nintendo to move to what you perceive to be 'better hardware', and Nintendo isn't interested in that. They're interested in mass market.

Depends on the Steam Deck.

The Switch Pro/Switch 2/Switch Next or whatever is going to happen. But if the Deck takes a solid share of the portable/handheld market and it gets a Deck Next, I could see Nintendo making the move, even if with a Nintendo-exclusive Deck.

Valve hasn't ruled out third-party Decks AFAIK, either. They could even fork Steam OS to lock in Nintendo titles, or go with the obviously larger Steam Store market.

Let's face it, Nintendo could charge $50 over Valve prices for a Valve-made Nintendo-themed Deck and people would buy them. Toss in a free set of old Nintendo games plus one new Mario game and people will clamor to pay extra for the same hardware.

What do you think of Nintendo dropping out of the console business and making games for other platforms?

Starting to feel like shill posts at this point…

And could have been in your last thread about a very similar topic.

Nintendo is not Sega.

They've sold 90 million outdated nvidia shield tablets. Yea, that makes financial sense. WTF?

They've sold 90 million outdated nvidia shield tablets. Yea, that makes financial sense. WTF?

Nvidia’s cutting them off. Well, sort of; they’re making them buy new SOCs after this.

Nintendo is a smart company. They don't try to compete directly with Sony or Microsoft. However, it does sell plenty of hardware and there is no reason for them to stop.

Nintendo making their own game and CCG based on it's probably a billion-dollar idea.
Nintendo, you're welcome!

They should call it "Nintendo All Stars" the first set should have 1889 cards in it.

Didn't they kinda do that with Pokemon?
The TCG was made by Media Factory, originally. The Pokémon Company makes it now.
I guess they did. I thought Pokemon was independent from Nintendo but apparently they're one of the stakeholders.
The Pokémon IP is managed by The Pokémon Company, which is a joint venture between Game Freak and Nintendo. Technically it's a separate entity from Game Freak these days, but Game Freak is still an independent developer.

Nvidia’s cutting them off. Well, sort of; they’re making them buy new SOCs after this.
I'm sure they will, and they will ruin the last relationship they have a with a console manufacturer. Switch 2 will be AMD, book it.

The TCG was made by Media Factory, originally. The Pokémon Company makes it now.

The Pokémon IP is managed by The Pokémon Company, which is a joint venture between Game Freak and Nintendo. Technically it's a separate entity from Game Freak these days, but Game Freak is still an independent developer.

And Pokemon has still only been on Nintendo consoles. Exceptions for mobile stuff, but the same can be said for Mario. Mobile doesn't really compete consoles or PC though.

Switch 2 will be AMD, book it.

I wouldn't be so sure. The Switch 2 is already lined up, it'll be on Nvidia glass. It's what will come after the Switch 2 that may very well be AMD, especially if the Deck 2 becomes a thing.

As so many Nintendo fans have pointed out, the Switch has a lot of games for adults, but they are third-party titles. Those companies will probably want to run on AMD hardware if both standard consoles and mobile consoles are going in the same direction.

This really comes down to how successful the Deck is. Which, for the record, I've pre-ordered. I haven't purchased a Nintendo product after I got my Pandora.

I wouldn't be so sure. The Switch 2 is already lined up, it'll be on Nvidia glass. It's what will come after the Switch 2 that may very well be AMD, especially if the Deck 2 becomes a thing.

As so many Nintendo fans have pointed out, the Switch has a lot of games for adults, but they are third-party titles. Those companies will probably want to run on AMD hardware if both standard consoles and mobile consoles are going in the same direction.

This really comes down to how successful the Deck is. Which, for the record, I've pre-ordered. I haven't purchased a Nintendo product after I got my Pandora.
Nvidia has wrecked partnerships right and left. I wouldn't be so sure. They are awful to work with.

That rumor was from back in March and there has been no news of them stopping production yet. Maybe next year we'll see a Switch successor, but not likely until the end of the year. Given how well the Switch continues to sell I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor is as false as all the Switch Pro rumors have been.

That rumor was from back in March and there has been no news of them stopping production yet. Maybe next year we'll see a Switch successor, but not likely until the end of the year.

It's not a rumor, Nvidia stopped production, and sold 18 months of chips to Nintendo, their whole remaining stock.

Nvidia has wrecked partnerships right and left. I wouldn't be so sure. They are awful to work with.

I could see Nvidia hubris borking a deal, but at the same time, I think Nintendo is too deep to pull out of this cycle. They're only a few months away from sampling and developing kits for software devs. It would be a disaster for them to stop now, and it would simultaneously leave Nvidia holding on to a very hot Deck competitor, which is something they could very easily monetize, even if at a loss, like a conventional console maker.

It would very easily put them at the forefront of mobile, and dovetail into the ARM stuff.

It's not a rumor, Nvidia stopped production, and sold 18 months of chips to Nintendo, their whole remaining stock.
What do you mean, it was a rumor at the time at least and since then, Nintendo announced a new revision coming out this October using the old SOC, that does not make sound like the rumors of the 2021 production stoppage to have been true, I could be completely missing something too, just looked this for the first time. Outside of Nintendo pushing a price reduction, why a company will stop selling fully mature and peak profitability it there life time chips ? (I guess it could be due to limited supply in the chain and needing to go to lower node to make more or something, but that would be outside force)

why a company will stop selling fully mature and peak profitability it there life time chips ?

Because you still have to develop them and support them in software. Only a few chips are really timeless, and those ones have agencies like NASA backing them. Everything else needs constant, if more intermittent, support.

A new chip means Nvidia doesn't need to bother with patches for old parts, and also, they actually get to make money.

You have to keep in mind that materials costs are a serious factor in present-day chip production. 20nm and 10nm both require a supply of limited ingots.

I wish it would happen (selfishly), but I don't see it happening any time soon. Being able to play Mario Kart and Smash Bros. on a system that isn't hampered by old hardware, awful online play, and forced gimmicks would be wonderful.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Because you still have to develop them and support them in software.
If you mean make them than obviously has for support at that volume of sales (and maturity) I do not imagine being a major issue, if you are to buy more than 10 millions of said chips and ready to do it at a good price..., but regardless like pointed out Nintendo just announced a late 2021 new Switch Oled console using the old tegra old large node SOC no ?

Because you still have to develop them and support them in software. Only a few chips are really timeless, and those ones have agencies like NASA backing them. Everything else needs constant, if more intermittent, support.

A new chip means Nvidia doesn't need to bother with patches for old parts, and also, they actually get to make money.

You have to keep in mind that materials costs are a serious factor in present-day chip production. 20nm and 10nm both require a supply of limited ingots.

Production concerns, sure. But Nintendo must not need much support at this phase. The old chips work, keep making them, no support needed. Don't sell them to other people, tada.

If you mean make them than obviously has for support at that volume of sales (and maturity) I do not imagine being a major issue, if you are to buy more than 10 millions of said chips and ready to do it at a good price..., but regardless like pointed out Nintendo just announced a late 2021 new Switch Oled console using the old tegra old large node SOC no ?

It is a major issue if you're trying to sell your whole product line as an advanced system. If your portfolio is stacked on aging Nintendo console sales, that looks bad. They were out of date when they were getting sold to Nintendo ages ago.

Nvidia made the smart move of cutting them off and selling them a bunch of chips, yeah. The new Switch isn't hardly new at all, but the whole arrangement looks great for investors.

Like I've said before, I'm not a Nintendo fan, and I'm pretty much anti-Nvidia, but how this is shaking out is the right way, for both companies.

The old chips work, keep making them, no support needed.

That's not exactly true; they still need software for games moving forward. It's not just limited to one side. Look at monthly driver updates for notes.

Nvidia made the smart move of cutting them off and selling them a bunch of chips, yeah. The new Switch isn't hardly new at all, but the whole arrangement looks great for investors.
I seem like you never address the fact that the new to be released in October is using the Tegra X1 in any of your answer. You talk has has if the rumors of being cut off were true (if they were what is your source ?)

The same 16nm+ version of the Tegra X1 found in current Switches also beats at the heart of the OLED model, so the end result is a machine ...The Nintendo Switch OLED will be available on October 8, 2021

Switch OLEDOriginal Switch
ChipsetCustom Nvidia Tegra X1Custom Nvidia Tegra X1

I seem like you never address the fact that the new to be released in October is using the Tegra X1 in any of your answer. You talk has has if the rumors of being cut off were true (if they were what is your source ?)

MLID on YouTube. The "new" Switch isn't new in any way, it just has a different display. And it could have been on the original Switch if Nintendo wanted to put out a console with a higher cost, but again, that's not their business model. They always put out "new" versions of their old hardware to fatten their margins.

This was true with the little NES, it was true with the Game Boy Color. It's still true to this day.

Nintendo will have new-manufacture consoles in production, but the chips are EOL big-time. Nvidia isn't making more.

The "new" Switch isn't new in any way,
That exactly my point.

chips are EOL big-time. Nvidia isn't making more.
Source (I cannot find nothing about that past the rumors) ? do you think there is large giant stock of already made chips to support all the 2021 and 2022 sales ? that expected to be about 30 millions Switch:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/El...h-output-to-record-30m-on-stay-at-home-demand

Plus everything that was sold since March when the rumors (from a really weak place) came out.

Nintendo has no official plan for a next switch:
https://twitter.com/NintendoCoLtd/status/1416986988658397185
We also want to clarify that we just announced that Nintendo Switch(OLED Model) will launch in October, 2021, and have no plans for launching any other model at this time. (2/2)

Which would be a strange signal to send to investor.

Last edited:
MLID on YouTube. The "new" Switch isn't new in any way, it just has a different display. And it could have been on the original Switch if Nintendo wanted to put out a console with a higher cost, but again, that's not their business model. They always put out "new" versions of their old hardware to fatten their margins.

This was true with the little NES, it was true with the Game Boy Color. It's still true to this day.

Nintendo will have new-manufacture consoles in production, but the chips are EOL big-time. Nvidia isn't making more.

Coming from a random person on YouTube is NOT confirmation.

Coming from a random person on YouTube is NOT confirmation.

OK. Have it your way. Nobody has plans and nothing is happening and Nintendo is the best, most future-proof business ever.

OK. Have it your way. Nobody has plans and nothing is happening and Nintendo is the best, most future-proof business ever.
Not sure why you are so defensive. You made a pretty bold claim with no supporting evidence, to counter claims with massive supporting evidence. They are definitely still making legacy tegra chipsets for nintendo, and most likely will through all of 2022 until a new switch comes in 2023(maybe). By 2023 it could absolutely be a new platform running a competitors graphics.. maybe even intel or apple.

Not sure why you are so defensive.

I said "have it your way," that's the opposite of defensive. I give up, if you want to believe that, fine. If you think Nvidia is happy to make the same parts forever, fine.

I don't know why Nintendo fans are so weird about their backwoods hardware being the best because it's different, when it's obvious it's different because it's out of date. It's just priced like it's brand new.

I bet if they got back into the playing card business it would be profitable.
Like these?
1629909208022.png

(and yes, they are real, and official.)
https://www.mariowiki.com/Platinum_Playing_Cards:_Official_Club_Nintendo_Collection

I said "have it your way," that's the opposite of defensive. I give up, if you want to believe that, fine. If you think Nvidia is happy to make the same parts forever, fine.

I don't know why Nintendo fans are so weird about their backwoods hardware being the best because it's different, when it's obvious it's different because it's out of date. It's just priced like it's brand new.
Nobody is arguing it's the best, we are simply stating a fact, Nvidia is still making tegra chipsets for nintendo. It's a fact.

Anyway, I'd be happy if Nintendo went third party, but I'll be buying nintendo games no matter where they release just as I have been for 30+ years now. Do I ever expect them to go 3rd party? Not at all, they're one of the most profitable companies on the planet doing what they've been doing and there's no way in hell would they allow the variables of other hardware to bother their best-in-the-world game developers.

Back