Nintendo Sneaks Out New Expansion to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wind

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Last night Nintendo surprised everyone and snuck out a new expansion pack for their latest Zelda. If you're a big fan of the series then give this one a shot because they say it's going to go back to its roots as a narrative-based adventure. You can watch some video of the expansion below.

Watch the video here.

Last edited:
So, is the price of the expansion pass now justifiable with not one, but two whole expansions now released after nine months?

So, is the price of the expansion pass now justifiable with not one, but two whole expansions now released after nine months?

Not sure what you mean, but it was always known that the Expansion Pass included two pieces of DLC - the Master Trials stuff (which is more like a content pack than an expansion) and a previously-unknown story DLC, which just released.

$20 for two decent DLCs doesn't seem too crazy. Most "season passes" are $40 nowadays, though this one is admittedly a bit smaller than some others.

I'm not even sure it's possible to buy these separately...?

more worth it if you bought it before starting to play IMO.. the extra items etc help early on. However if you've already beat it you can start over on Master Quest mode!

Well that trailer did well in leaving me clueless as to what the expansion is. If i had to take an honest guess just based on what I saw, it would be cinematics of the 4 heroes and some new temples/outfits.

Well that trailer did well in leaving me clueless as to what the expansion is. If i had to take an honest guess just based on what I saw, it would be cinematics of the 4 heroes and some new temples/outfits.

Yea, talk about a crap trailer.

While it is nice to see the second planned piece of DLC of the "Expansion Pass" arrive, I am more concerned about the future. With the first DLC being little more than a content pack this is the first real mini expansion, but from what I can tell it is a lot more of the same - while there may be a new item or two, it does not advance the story (someone tells me it takes place during the main storyline), nor utilize a new setting with different enemies, characters, lore etc. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to see its arrival, but I expected a bigger well..expansion. Games from the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series have added truly unique "expansions" and of course the best examples of all in recent years come from The Witcher 3 (Both Heart of Stone and especially Wine and Blood showcase perfectly what an Expansion should be!). I'm not saying BotW's DLC2 had to be a masterpiece of Wine and Blood caliber (though it would be nice and I think Nintendo is capable), but what they do next is the big question for me.

Is this the end of it? Will there be another expansion? If not, that would be a significant disappointment to me and feel like wasted potential. Unless Nintendo takes the unprecedented step of basically having another BotW-class Zelda game in the works for 2018 (highly unlikely given their history of one or maybe two Zelda games per system, coming late in the cycle etc...), it seems like they have ample time and opportunity to add more content - both smaller Master Trials style content packs free and otherwise, and larger story based expansions ideally set in new locations etc. It would be a win-win for players and Nintendo too I would think... but sadly I worry that too many of Nintendo's perspectives are way too limited, controlling, and behind the times. Lets hope we hear someting soon.

While it is nice to see the second planned piece of DLC of the "Expansion Pass" arrive, I am more concerned about the future. With the first DLC being little more than a content pack this is the first real mini expansion, but from what I can tell it is a lot more of the same - while there may be a new item or two, it does not advance the story (someone tells me it takes place during the main storyline), nor utilize a new setting with different enemies, characters, lore etc. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to see its arrival, but I expected a bigger well..expansion. Games from the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series have added truly unique "expansions" and of course the best examples of all in recent years come from The Witcher 3 (Both Heart of Stone and especially Wine and Blood showcase perfectly what an Expansion should be!). I'm not saying BotW's DLC2 had to be a masterpiece of Wine and Blood caliber (though it would be nice and I think Nintendo is capable), but what they do next is the big question for me.

Is this the end of it? Will there be another expansion? If not, that would be a significant disappointment to me and feel like wasted potential. Unless Nintendo takes the unprecedented step of basically having another BotW-class Zelda game in the works for 2018 (highly unlikely given their history of one or maybe two Zelda games per system, coming late in the cycle etc...), it seems like they have ample time and opportunity to add more content - both smaller Master Trials style content packs free and otherwise, and larger story based expansions ideally set in new locations etc. It would be a win-win for players and Nintendo too I would think... but sadly I worry that too many of Nintendo's perspectives are way too limited, controlling, and behind the times. Lets hope we hear someting soon.

The DLC seems really expensive. There were rumours of a significant underwater addition to the map, but that seems to have been cut. It adds a bunch of shrine trials, "glass cannon" mode. some NPCs get involved in gameplay, changes the ending significantly, and of course; adds the motorcycle which is actually perfect, but really, considering the cost of the game vs the cost of this DLC... it seems small. Regardless, my mother has been playing non-stop. There's certainly a market for it.

Back