Nintendo Says Switch Will Beat Wii U Total Sales Within its First Year

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
It looks like the Switch is a real winner for Nintendo. They have forecast that Switch will sell over 14 million units in its first year and that's better than the Wii U sold in its entire product lifecycle. Of course it helps that the Wii U wasn't a very good gaming device. Anyway, the Switch is a nifty piece of gear and it's going to print money for Nintendo for the foreseeable future.

The Switch is beginning to pay off for Nintendo. The new console is selling so well that the Japanese firm said today it is likely to outsell the Wii U, its predecessor, within one year of its release.

Not too shocking. The WiiU still strikes me as the biggest marketing blunder in Nintendo's history. It might have never been a great system, but I swear every casual person I know thought it was just a tablet add-on for the Wii.

It is a decent system, just not a serious challenger to Xbox360 and PS3. If they gave it a different name it would have sold more. i.e. : Nintendo U-topia (Featuring Wii-ware)

It doesn't surprise me at all. Not because of the poor sales of the Wii U though, but more because the Switch is a cool piece of hardware. Its library is small as of yet, but what they have there is good. I love Nintendo's games, and I love indie games, so it's pretty much perfect for my non-PC gaming and light portable needs.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Not because of the poor sales of the Wii U though, but more because the Switch is a cool piece of hardware. Its library is small as of yet, but what they have there is good. I love Nintendo's games, and I love indie games, so it's pretty much perfect for my non-PC gaming and light portable needs.
The new Mario game has been peaking my curiosity the past few days. Might be time to bust out that unopened switch I have sitting the corner for a few months.

The new Mario game has been peaking my curiosity the past few days. Might be time to bust out that unopened switch I have sitting the corner for a few months.

I was wondering if that would happen (after reading your other comment about it sitting in the corner.) :D

Mario really has me wanting to pick one of these up now. I bought BotW for the Wii U since I had one, and at the time couldn't get a Switch. If I didn't have that already, that would have been an ok reason to pick it up. Mario though, looks amazing, and I won't be getting it any other way. I'm thinking I may get one this or next week.

I was wondering if that would happen (after reading your other comment about it sitting in the corner.) :D

Mario really has me wanting to pick one of these up now. I bought BotW for the Wii U since I had one, and at the time couldn't get a Switch. If I didn't have that already, that would have been an ok reason to pick it up. Mario though, looks amazing, and I won't be getting it any other way. I'm thinking I may get one this or next week.
Mario was what finally got me to buy one, too. I bought the Mario bundle from Best Buy since it was in stock. :)

It is really damn good. Its the game I like to play at night to unwind before going to sleep. The Switch is so good for that kind of experience.

That's when I get most of my gaming in these days. I have a Shield TV in my room, so I stream games to that after my wife falls asleep. I also like my 3DS for this, but I've played everything I like on it now, so the Switch will kind of take over in that department I think. (I'll be keeping the 3DS though for any time I need an Ocarina, Majora, Link Between Worlds fix.) It's also the best Shovel Knight platform due to the 3D backgrounds looking so nice.

The Wii U was a really poorly thought out design and the marketing was even worse, but it's unfortunate because it has an incredibly good line up of first party games. I hope Nintendo ports more of them to the Switch so people can enjoy them.

I just cant justify the expenditure for the switch.

Same here.

I'd rather use the 3ds as it's a better portable.
Folds up to protect the screens, and there's no extra parts to get lost except for the power adapter. The screen on the XL version is large enough for even my old eyes to see.

The day they stop making new games for the 3DS, is the day I stop buying any new Nintendo games.

The virtual boy would like to have a word with you.

I didn't get the impression the Virtual Boy's failure was marketing related so much as the system itself was uncomfortable as hell to use.

I actually liked the Virtual Boy (my neighbor had one when I was a kid) but I understand the complaints with it.

I feel like the WiiU library was pretty lacking in its first year compare to the Switch.

Wii U was NOT a terrible gaming system. If you wanted multi system games, then yes, but the exclusives (some were ported way after release) were some of the best of the generation. Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Super Mario 3d World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Rayman, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker ... those games alone made me not regret purchasing one.

Reactions: Rizen
like this
Speaking of Wii-U library, I'd love to see Pikmin 3 get ported to the Switch...that was one of very few games I wanted to play on the Wii-U.

I've tried it on CEMU and it's...okay. But would be nice to have an actual copy and I'm not buying a Wii-U just for that.

That's when I get most of my gaming in these days. I have a Shield TV in my room, so I stream games to that after my wife falls asleep. I also like my 3DS for this, but I've played everything I like on it now, so the Switch will kind of take over in that department I think. (I'll be keeping the 3DS though for any time I need an Ocarina, Majora, Link Between Worlds fix.) It's also the best Shovel Knight platform due to the 3D backgrounds looking so nice.

It's the best for you because you like the 3DS' 3D. That type of 3D gives me horrific headaches so it's not the best version, only the best version in your opinion.

The Wii U was a really poorly thought out design and the marketing was even worse, but it's unfortunate because it has an incredibly good line up of first party games. I hope Nintendo ports more of them to the Switch so people can enjoy them.

I agree about the marketing, but I really enjoy using the system. I think while there could have been a few improvements, that the system was extremely flexible, decently powerful (though obviously short of the consoles that followed it shortly after) and that the software lineup (other than being somewhat small) was extremely high quality. I still use mine a pretty decent amount.

I will agree 100% on the marketing (or lack of) though. You're completely correct on that part.

I feel like the WiiU library was pretty lacking in its first year compare to the Switch.

It was a bit lacking, but it soon filled out pretty well. The biggest shame is that it took until the end of its life to get a non-remake Zelda game. That should have been PRIORITY 1. Why it wasn't is completely a mystery to me. I love the HD remakes of WW and TP, but it REALLY needed a Zelda game first thing. Release day even.

That said, I love every game I have for it. It's really an excellent system, and they managed to squeeze quite a bit out of it despite its limitations. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 are pretty nice examples of squeezing decent performance out of it.

It's the best for you because you like the 3DS' 3D. That type of 3D gives me horrific headaches so it's not the best version, only the best version in your opinion.

Wrong! It's a cold hard fact! It's the best period!

:p

Of course that's my opinion, but it's not a bad one. I can't help that it gives you headaches. For me though, yes, the game is already incredible, I own the full Treasure Trove version on 3DS, Steam, Wii U (and will likely buy it for the Switch too, because I like it that much). I personally like the 3DS version the most because it's like you're playing Shovel Knight as a Viewmaster. They got the depth cues JUST RIGHT in my opinion. It's stunning. However, yeah, if you can't play it because of a physical issue, then your opinion may differ. In that case though the 3DS version is still great because of the second screen for inventory, and the fact that you can play it anywhere. I'd say it's probably STILL the best version.

Speaking of Wii-U library, I'd love to see Pikmin 3 get ported to the Switch...that was one of very few games I wanted to play on the Wii-U.

I've tried it on CEMU and it's...okay. But would be nice to have an actual copy and I'm not buying a Wii-U just for that.

Agreed. I'd also like the HD Zeldas ported over at a discounted price as well. I'd still like to be able to play those versions if something happens to my Wii U or just because actually. In fact, since the Wii U was so narrowly used by the general population, I'd say it's a good idea to move all first party titles from it over to the Switch at reduced prices.

I have a Switch that is sitting in its dock. I'm debating the experience between playing Breath of the Wild on it, or on the CEMU WiiU emulator which is progressing at amazing rates. I've considered purchasing a few other Switch titles, but frankly I want Nintendo to fully commit. Fire Emblem Warriors? Okay, that's fine. However, how about a version of Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition + Awakening + (the other one I'm forgetting) rereleased on Switch instead of 3DS, with enhanced script, JP audio etc. If they're going to get behind the Switch, then do so - letting the New 3DS languish, or at least putting the best of it on Switch.

Of course, the biggest issue I have with the Switch is the lack of what should be easy features. Hardware wise, the Switch is more or less an Nvidia Shield tablet with some neat bluetooth controllers. I would have loved if it was running a form of Android, but even with its BSD kernel it seems like it could easily have mobile apps ported over if Nintendo wasn't well.. being Nintendo. E-reader apps (for books and comics/images alike) and media - from streaming clients for Netflix, Spotify, Twitch, and Crunchyroll to especially something like Kodi - are just begging to be added, given the Dock! Hell, PC gaming streaming a la Moonlight / GeForce ShadowPlay should be easy too. Part of my hopes that Nintendo will do this themselves, but I am wondering if it will basically take the hacker community to enable homebrew features like these. Until then, it seems underwhelming to me with a handful of interesting games...but the potential seems to great to be so restricted.

Wii U was NOT a terrible gaming system. If you wanted multi system games, then yes, but the exclusives (some were ported way after release) were some of the best of the generation. Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Super Mario 3d World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Rayman, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker ... those games alone made me not regret purchasing one.

I'm with you. I somehow have to believe that most people who own a Switch don't take it everywhere like a portable. It sits in the cradle and is just another console. Which makes it a console with a controller that isn't anything special. I was playing BOTW on the WiiU laying in bed while the actual console was downstairs, and it played it flawlessly.

It was a bit lacking, but it soon filled out pretty well. The biggest shame is that it took until the end of its life to get a non-remake Zelda game. That should have been PRIORITY 1. Why it wasn't is completely a mystery to me. I love the HD remakes of WW and TP, but it REALLY needed a Zelda game first thing. Release day even.

That said, I love every game I have for it. It's really an excellent system, and they managed to squeeze quite a bit out of it despite its limitations. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 are pretty nice examples of squeezing decent performance out of it.

Indeed, even Breath of the Wild ran decently on the WiiU despite its limitation, it may slowdown here and there, but for the most part, it ran fine.

The new Mario game is the most interesting game since Super Mario Bros. IMO. I just purchased a Switch bundle Friday and I'm loving it. It's just a variation on Sonic Adventure, which I loved.

I have a 10 and 11 year old. Neither one has expressed any interest in the Switch at all. The play games like the Sims and used to play Roblox on PC's. Now, it's more time spent on mobile phones with Musically - wtf?

I'm with you. I somehow have to believe that most people who own a Switch don't take it everywhere like a portable. It sits in the cradle and is just another console. Which makes it a console with a controller that isn't anything special. I was playing BOTW on the WiiU laying in bed while the actual console was downstairs, and it played it flawlessly.

According to Nintendo, only 18% of user play primarily in docked mode. 30% primarily play in tabletop or handheld mode and the other 52% do both. Note: This is based on surveys Nintendo sent out and are worldwide statistics so each region likely has some variation.

Funny, I was actually thinking of getting a Wii U and homebrew it. Dolphin does a good job but not a flawless one, and I am tempted to buy a refurb, plus I wouldn't mind playing a couple of Wii U titles either.

Funny, I was actually thinking of getting a Wii U and homebrew it. Dolphin does a good job but not a flawless one, and I am tempted to buy a refurb, plus I wouldn't mind playing a couple of Wii U titles either.

If you truly want a WiiU that's cool, but if you are interested in WiiU games and have a relatively gaming capable PC, then check out the CEMU emulator first of all - http://cemu.info/ - Most of its updates are on its sub-Reddit /r/CEMU , and Patreon donators get the newest versions, first. It has made remarkable progress because of the donator base. The devs plan to open source it and bring it to Linux / OSX once it is a bit more mature, not unlike how Dolphin (for Wii) was developed. CEMU can (like Dolphin) play games with higher resolutions, graphic packs, and other enhancements and new features arrive swiftly - they even recently took the first step for online play (under very specific circumstances). I've watched it polish over the past several months and its impressive. As compatibility improves the experience will even be better, but most WiiU titles are playable and many have few if any glitches. Worth a shot if you're interested in the WiiU, have a gaming grade PC, and are willing to look into emulation.

We're really in a great time for emulators - with CEMU (WiiU), RCPS3 (Playstation 3), and Citra ( New 3DS ) in heavy development, open source (or planned to be), and generally quickly improved thanks to Patreon and whatnot letting devs work on it near full time in some cases.

If you truly want a WiiU that's cool, but if you are interested in WiiU games and have a relatively gaming capable PC, then check out the CEMU emulator...
While I want to agree with you, these emulators usually tailor to specific game titles (Zelda for example) and make sacrifices to overall emulator development to get specific game(s) running without visual errors. Because of this, we see rarely see jumps in compatibility and accuracy followed by long excruciating periods with only minor fixes. That is until developers eventually realize what they have done then have to go back into full reverse hardware design mode, replacing hacked up code with what should have been done properly to begin with. Maybe I am just pessimistic due to the lack of progress with Tekken Tag Tournament 2, so I will eventually pick up the real hardware.

I agree with what others said about system naming, marketing and game library support. The marketing focus should have been on the console being completely different from the Wii, though supporting backwards compatibility as a feature. They also should have included at least one Classic Pro controller and not push the tablet on developers as some sort of requirement. I'm not sure how difficult it was to develop or port existing titles, but surely Nintendo's strict policies did them no favors. It was the most powerful system for the era, though far too late to the PS3/360 party.

This sales numbers projection should not be considered a major feat or achievement as it is obvious their new system is outselling a near total failure (1st/2nd party titles being the exception). It is also a sad claim as certainly the total Wii U sales do not include all the systems sold this year after being discontinued in January (for a long time they have been repackaging NOS inventory and selling direct on Nintendo's Store as refurbished, also eBay). It is $175 at the moment, tempting.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you truly want a WiiU that's cool, but if you are interested in WiiU games and have a relatively gaming capable PC.

I wasn't aware that CEMU is Patreon'ed, but WiiU game support is more of an after thought, I haven't seen TOO many titles I'd really want to play on Wii U (Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash are my only ones right now), but more the fact that Wii U supports Wii games and HDMI natively with homebrewable to GC support.

It's really mainly to play certain Wii games on native hardware than Dolphin. I am mighty impressed with what the Dolphin team has managed to do, it's just that the games I want to play are not perfectly emulated, stutters here and there, hence why I am toying with the idea of getting a Wii U and hack it.

I know I could have gotten Wii instead (it'd cost me less a great deal less, and I can get ones that are already homebrewed), but I have only heard of horror stories about the Wii2HDMI adapters, and the Wii would be relatively less useful as my monitor does not have component input.

It's not a decision set in stone either, I might even wait out and see if Switch gets hacked or have some Wii/WiiU functionality.

I find it hilarious that everytime a console piques my interest, it's always after it's discontinued LOL.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that CEMU is Patreon'ed, but WiiU game support is more of an after thought, I haven't seen TOO many titles I'd really want to play on Wii U (Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash are my only ones right now), but more the fact that Wii U supports Wii games and HDMI natively with homebrewable to GC support.

It's really mainly to play certain Wii games on native hardware than Dolphin. I am mighty impressed with what the Dolphin team has managed to do, it's just that the games I want to play are not perfectly emulated, stutters here and there, hence why I am toying with the idea of getting a Wii U and hack it.

I know I could have gotten Wii instead (it'd cost me less a great deal less, and I can get ones that are already homebrewed), but I have only heard of horror stories about the Wii2HDMI adapters, and the Wii would be relatively less useful as my monitor does not have component input.

It's not a decision set in stone either, I might even wait out and see if Switch gets hacked or have some Wii/WiiU functionality.

I find it hilarious that everytime a console piques my interest, it's always after it's discontinued LOL.

Ahhh I see. There's a lot of good Wii content out there, and some good WiiU for that matter (ie Not sure if you like JRPG, but Xenoblade on Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles X on WiiU are said to be quite enjoyable. The GC and Wii Fire Emblem titles, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn ). Dolphin works really well, but it will never be 100% perfect across every game every time. If there are a few games that are bothering you on Dolphin, I'd check around for a patch/fix/hack, or even occasionally a particular fork that sometimes plays better/faster/more accurate depending on what you want. Though of course, sometimes the answer is just a few tickets/requests and more time until a particular title gets to the point at which you enjoy it. A hacked WiiU will certainly have the accuracy when it comes to Wii and WiiU titles, but of course Dolphin and CEMU emulators can have them render at your monitor's native resolution, add special HD graphic packs and more, so its up to what you prefer. There are some enhanced versions of Wii titles on WiiU - for instance, I first looked into CEMU for "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD " For my own personal experience my old Wii was using a Wii > HDMI adapter and despite the board literally coming out of the plastic case, functionally it worked very well on my Samsung TV (ie not a PC monitor) at the time.

Oh, and no matter what, if you choose any emulation at all, check out https://www.wiiuusbhelper.com/ - contrary to the name, it can download authentic copies of WiiU, Wii, and 3DS titles (along with any eShop titles that usually play on those systems) direct from Nintendo! You will need to give it the "Titlekey database website " that will show it the index of what files to download, which can be googled for. This is not some pirate site or anything, but exactly the same method that Nintendo systems use to download from the eShop. This is a very easy way to download and update your recent Nintendo emulated systems, including things like DLC and updates for each game, direct from Nintendo! Of course, you can actually use it to download right to a WiiU or 3DS but they need to be homebrew compliant (ie 3DS has a utility that runs the same way called FreeShop I think). I've used it when working with CEMU and for messing around with 3DS ROMs, such as needing both the JP and NA version of the title so I can apply a fan translation patch or "undub" it etc.

Are you guys telling me I can actually buy Nintendo games and play them legally on my PC? Legally? Because I'd love to buy some of their games without investing in their hardware.

According to Nintendo, only 18% of user play primarily in docked mode. 30% primarily play in tabletop or handheld mode and the other 52% do both. Note: This is based on surveys Nintendo sent out and are worldwide statistics so each region likely has some variation.

I have a Switch and play it mostly in portable mode. Probably hooked it up to a TV like 3 times. PS Mario is AMAZING!

Are you guys telling me I can actually buy Nintendo games and play them legally on my PC? Legally? Because I'd love to buy some of their games without investing in their hardware.
No they are talking about pirating. Although I guess you could rip the games yourself and then play them over Cemu, but that's always a cop out response.

Back