Nintendo Says Switch Will Beat Wii U Total Sales Within its First Year

I agree about the marketing, but I really enjoy using the system. I think while there could have been a few improvements, that the system was extremely flexible, decently powerful (though obviously short of the consoles that followed it shortly after) and that the software lineup (other than being somewhat small) was extremely high quality. I still use mine a pretty decent amount.

I will agree 100% on the marketing (or lack of) though. You're completely correct on that part.
It's not a bad design from a functionality standpoint, but the controller cost over $170 and was a huge part of the cost of the system, which meant Nintendo had to cut corners elsewhere to keep the price at $350. The controller, while light and comfortable, didn't really feel or look polished like the Switch does. I know that seems minor but it's something people look at when spending that type of money.

The Switch is basically what the Wii U aspired to be, it just wasn't really possible yet in 2012.

It's not a bad design from a functionality standpoint, but the controller cost over $170 and was a huge part of the cost of the system, which meant Nintendo had to cut corners elsewhere to keep the price at $350. The controller, while light and comfortable, didn't really feel or look polished like the Switch does. I know that seems minor but it's something people look at when spending that type of money.

The Switch is basically what the Wii U aspired to be, it just wasn't really possible yet in 2012.

Definitely agree there. If they could have built the Switch then, that's what they would have done. Of course I would take something fully portable/dockable like the Switch over the Wii U, but given the time-frame, I thought they did an excellent job. I've gotten more use out of the U than most other consoles that I've owned. (Computers not included there of course :D )

Are you guys telling me I can actually buy Nintendo games and play them legally on my PC? Legally? Because I'd love to buy some of their games without investing in their hardware.

Legally it is a grey area. Assuming you own the game, you're basically format shifting - not unlike ripping a BluRay or DVD to play on a mobile device. However, with our backwards IP laws (and Nintendo who is even more backwards than normal in this regard. Read anything written by Jim Sterling on the topic of their IP for a reasonable overview), someone could say breaking the BluRay's copy protection, or using it on an 'unapproved" device etc... isn't strictly legal. The EU is a little better at these things.

More to the point about Nintendo titles.... these emulators are, in and of themselves, legal. The programs that I list are also legal - trust me, if Nintendo could shut them down, they would. However if you wanted to stick to the closest legal definition, you'd not only need to own the games themselves but actually dump your exact copy of the game for use with the emulator - its up to you if you wish to do that or not. Using the emulators and whatnot is a bit like removing copy protection in order to install a game under WINE to have it work under Linux - unsupported, technically illegal for bypassing copy protection etc... but its not a major issue.

If you're looking to be "ethically sound, as in not pirating" In my mind, then pick up a copy of the game you wish to play. After that, its up to you how much hassle you wish in terms of dumping them yourself versus downloading with a utility like I referenced or using a pre-verified ISO from somewhere else etc... but no matter what, you purchased the game. As for running it on an emulator like Dolphin, CEMU, or Citra, - doing so is completely unsupported by Nintendo. Some work perfectly, others have glitches here and there, some don't work at all - pretty much every emulator keeps a compatibility list of sorts. If you wanted any more info on the topic just let me know your particular goals (ie games or systems you wish to play etc) and maybe I or someone else can point you in the right direction (ie this is not an offer for where to find pirate copies, but rather how to get into emulation and/or homebrew).

As I said before, The Switch itself would actually make an amazing homebrew/emulation or general entertainment machine, but it is unlikely to be accessible in any meaningful way anytime soon. It is theoretically possible, but given its use of eFuses and the massive vulnerabilities that were closed on SwitchOS > 3.0 (yes that includes 3.0.1 and higher) , any homebrew or other hacking around on the Switch will be pretty hard unless you have one at 3.0 or less. However, there are now full dumps of Switch games but alas no way to play them as of yet. Its possible that it may take some kind of flashcart eventually or even an emulator - we'll know more about this thanks to theleak of the Switch SDK. The Switch could be so, so much more than it is and its a pity that it may take unsupported hacks to bring it to its best eventually, instead of Nintendo themselves opening it to its strengths from day 1.

Last edited:
If they can release Super Smash bros, Mario Maker and Xenoblade 1 on Switch, I would most likely forget about Wii U completely and get a Switch and homebrewed Wii instead.

Back