Nintendo Revolution: projects games in a realtime 3D image?

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
If the rumor is true that would explain why they said that if you develop for the Revolution, it would be practictly impossible to port your games to other consoles.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/607/607437p1.html

Snipit:

Well, it looks like Broken Saints has gone and posted its much-anticipated theory on what makes the Nintendo Revolution revolutionary. At the core of the theory sits how Revolution will display games: through a form of real-time 3D projection. That's right folks, along the lines of a classic 50s monster movie. Nintendo itself has stated that what it plans to use on Revolution isn't all that unique, only that it has never been applied to videogames. Taking that into account, plus recent patents filed by Nintendo, and it doesn't sound all that far fetched, argues Burgess.

Cant wait for E3. :)

I'm still not clear as to what this means.. does it mean you have to wear those cheesy cardboard red/blue glasses just to play a game? or maybe those lcd stereoscopic glasses that you plug in which flicker the lcd on and off and give you a MASSIVE headache after 5 mins? if no glasses are needed, how the hell are they going to pull that off on a regular tv set? i want answers dammit! :D :p

I've never gotten a headache from them but, forgetting that for a moment, am I the only person to ever own the 3D glasses for the Sega Master System? Or the only person that's ever used Nvidia's stereoscopic support? Meaning that this certainly has been applied to games before...(at least in a goggle-based fashion).

Its just stereoscopic glasses. Everyone is getting a boner over stereoscopic stuff, even tho it is very old, just because a bunch of big wigs like George Lucas and Spielberg have put the wheels in motion to have theatres start using stereoscopic technology.

kewl, a console version of the Virtualboy.....sweet.
/sarcasm

inotocracy said:
If the rumor is true that would explain why they said that if you develop for the Revolution, it would be practictly impossible to port your games to other consoles.

Which in turn just screwed over their thirdparty support. Doubling the third party's developement costs if they want to release a game on on three or even two consoles. Good one Nintendo.

Techx said:
I'm still not clear as to what this means.. does it mean you have to wear those cheesy cardboard red/blue glasses just to play a game? or maybe those lcd stereoscopic glasses that you plug in which flicker the lcd on and off and give you a MASSIVE headache after 5 mins? if no glasses are needed, how the hell are they going to pull that off on a regular tv set? i want answers dammit! :D :p

I'm not exactly sure, but I dont think its stereoscopic glasses-- I've seen technologies that allow you to project an image into the air or on a wall and at a certain angle it becomes 3D (without glasses). Somewhat similar to 3D displays that dont require glasses, kinda like a hologram-- for the super nerds: I know the technology behind this isnt holograms, just using an example.

inotocracy said:
I'm not exactly sure, but I dont think its stereoscopic glasses-- I've seen technologies that allow you to project an image into the air or on a wall and at a certain angle it becomes 3D (without glasses). Somewhat similar to 3D displays that dont require glasses, kinda like a hologram-- for the super nerds: I know the technology behind this isnt holograms, just using an example.

I agree, I do not believe it will be stereoscopic glasses (I could be wrong). I think that games will be played on TV's as we are all used to. It would be a major mistake for nintendo make an overly proprietary system which makes it hard for 3rd party developers to make/port games to it. With this in mind, I do not think that Nintendo would have made that mistake. They will have created a system that will allow games to be made and ported with relative ease. But they will have a little extra something which will allow developers to bolt on extras to their games. Perhaps a secondary screen on the controller of some sort. Until it is revealed to us this is all speculation of course.

IceWind said:
I smell vaporware.
Not only that, but i smell the same thing that happens with everything. People speculate things so far in advance with hopes of drastic things that everyone poops their pants over and then it doesn't happen and everything is always a dissapointment.

ThirtySixBelow said:
Not only that, but i smell the same thing that happens with everything. People speculate things so far in advance with hopes of drastic things that everyone poops their pants over and then it doesn't happen and everything is always a dissapointment.

im with you on that one...

Am I the only one that goes to Gen[M]ay that has seen this ? :confused:

VERY interesting thread and a shitload of info from an "inside source" . If that info told there holds true the Revolution will indeed be pretty nice! :D

Tiny said:
kewl, a console version of the Virtualboy.....sweet.
/sarcasm
i had the SAME idea when i read the title of this thread. Maybe the console will turn off after 15 min of play to give your eyes a rest like the virtual boy did :)

Wouldnt something that has as radical of a design lose support from the 3rd Party Game Makers? If I were a developer I wouldnt want to make a game for something that has such a learning curve. By learning curve I mean it would take developers a while to get used to it, as this has practically never been done before

retardedchicken said:

VERY interesting thread and a shitload of info from an "inside source" . If that info told there holds true the Revolution will indeed be pretty nice! :D

Awsome linkage, read the entire thing and I'm so excited for E3 now it's not even funny.

I think Nintendo is banking on such a radical design element that it increases the number of exclusives, simply because this or that can not be done on any other console. This won't be a case where game X can be ported to console Y, but with dumbed down visuals. I don't believe this will effect 3rd party support from ports, however. I am banking on it being an optional feature for devs, but standard for the console.

Finally, by "this", I am simply reffering to whatever Nintendo plans on doing with Revolution. Whether it is stereoscopic display tech, or whatever.

retardedchicken said:

i've kept track of it but don't really believe any of this info to be true. when e3 rolls around and if this guy's info is right, that would be interesting. if not, this guy is one of the most elaborate bullshitters i've ever read.

Tiny said:
Which in turn just screwed over their thirdparty support. Doubling the third party's developement costs if they want to release a game on on three or even two consoles. Good one Nintendo.

Why? Stereoscopic 3D has been available for a while now and you can use it on pretty much any current 3D game on the PC. While consoles uses a different graphics technology, it's been shown over the years that atleast the principle behind the current technique is pretty simple and can be applied anywhere. If you read up on how PC stereo 3D works, you can tell that there's nothing keeping it from being used even on previous consoles.

The only problem are the minor glitches (Proper height for the HUD, optimized unrendered edges where the game thought the user wasn't gonna see anything anyway, proper convergence point settings, etc.) That can be easily addressed when they port the game over.

Back