Nintendo Pressure Shuts Down Fan-Made Pokémon Uranium Game

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nintendo is once again laying the smack down on people that are behind fan-made games. The makers of the game said "we respect Nintendo's wishes deeply. Therefore, we will no longer provide official download links for the game."

In an effort to protect its copyrights, Nintendo has managed to shut down yet another fan-made game that took years to develop. After generating over a million downloads in just a few days, the makers of the popular RPG Pokémon Uranium decided to cave in to legal pressure from the game giant.

Pissed off fans or not, Nintendo owns the Pokémon IP. Regardless of irritation, they have the right to shut down projects that dilute the IP.

They should just change the game name to "Tokemon Uranium" and change all the pokemon's names to be puns based on that. They can add some blunts to the art, punch up the dialog a bit and call it a parody. Parody laws are pretty strong.

Agreed. While it sucks, it was not theirs to make. Do what you want at home but if you go public expect a lawyer to come knocking.

Pissed off fans or not, Nintendo owns the Pokémon IP. Regardless of irritation, they have the right to shut down projects that dilute the IP.

Nobody is arguing what rights Nintendo has.

Nintendo has every legal right to be assholes. This doesent make them not assholes.

I recall uranium getting some buzz over on reddit and i was downvoted into oblivion when i suggested if they liked it they should stop talking about it so much to keep it.

"Nintendo wouldnt shut it down" Uh huh...

Nintendo may be 10 years behind the curve in most respect but in protecting IP they are quite modern...

this is almost a week late. also its a nice game but it just doesnt feel like pokemon to me. The pokemon just dont seem.......right. if they were smart they would have called it something else. to keep the big N off their backs.

this is almost a week late. also its a nice game but it just doesnt feel like pokemon to me. The pokemon just dont seem.......right. if they were smart they would have called it something else. to keep the big N off their backs.

Which really is the point of nintendo. If they called this game PooPooMon and all the creatures were a different artwork with different names but the EXACT gameplay, it wouldn't be a fraction of as popular as it is now. It is popular because they are riding on the back of nintendos IP without being licensed to do so. I personally don't feel nintendo is being assholes this time. I feel they are just not allowing someone to use their hard work and success to be at the top. They aren't remaking something that is ages old and trying to 'restore art' this is just a blatant use of someone else's material. Not to mention, after 9 years of development, didn't someone think of this scenario or contact nintendos IP management department to maybe save themselves some headache?

12-300x225.jpg

from memory about copyright law, (IANAL) but I think it was a protect it or loose it kind of thing, so if they failed to lay the smackdown on infringement, they could potentially loose the right to enforce the copyright infringement in the future

Nintendo sure knows how to piss off their fans.

Well actually it is a little more complicated than that. The Pokémon Company owns the IP, and that company is owned by a three other companies, one of which is Nintendo, so it only takes one of those companies getting ticked off for the ban hammer to come down.

Regardless, you should know going in to making any fan venture without written consent has a high likelihood of getting shut down.

In this case they only shutdown the official download links. If you can 'find' a copy the people behind it are still patching it through the in game updater.

haha we will no longer provide official download links but what about unofficial links?

Last edited:
I got a copy of the game... before the takedown... it is nice the interface is rather different story is a bit hard edged rather than what nintendo would put in a neatly coiled pile...

Your mother was working on a nuclear reactor something happened she remained behind to try to fix it your father was a pokemon ranger you lived with your grandmother after the accident... The start of the game you were starting your first part time job as your grams was getting older.

As far as the story goes very detailed and very good the new type of pokemon were a result of the accident and are radioactive pokemon...

Doesnt even matter that they shut it down, it got released and is on the internet forever. There will always be a copy available somewhere.

Did they expect it NOT to be shut down?

That's how it works with most companies. Nintendo is a little tighter in that respect, though. They're very protective of their IP's. Always have been.

Sure, they have the right to shoot themselves in the foot. Which is what they've been constantly doing. And they wonder why can't they get anywhere fast.

Back